The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fabulous, WARM glove!

Okay, it was 30 degrees w/ a sustained north/north east wind of 15 mph w/ regular gust of 20mph this morning for hunting. These gloves: http://kerrits.com/eq_gloves_wintersport_2007b.html were awesome, kept my fingers completely warm! Not too bulky, good feel on the rein and in black they look pretty traditional when mounted.

Are there any socks out there in this type of fabric?? My usually great Eddie Bauer thick wool socks just didn't cut it. I stopped for a cup a coffee on the way home and walked into the gas station like a bum on the 5th day of a drinking binge because my feet were numb. Is the only solution to get a pair of some of the winter riding boots out there??? They look clunky so I can't imagine how they feel to ride in. Help!

I've been tempted to put toe warmers in my boots on some of those cold days. I like the smartwool socks, not sure if they're much different from the ones you're using though.

http://www.rei.com/product/405012

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=309

I'd like to know how this works!
    http://www.rei.com/product/745511

I use the toe & hand warmers at work and they DO work! They provide good heat for upwards of 7 hours. I'm not sure how well the toe warmer would fit inside my Dehners but inside my Ariat Fatbabys it's like a baby cradle with a nice plump cat napping.

Lead me to the SmartWool socks please. I'm not familiar with them.

SmartWool:

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

You can get them from REI, too, and there's a dealer locator on their site if you want to see/feel some in person. They are wuuunderful.

Also: silk sock liners! Best toe-saving investment I've ever made.

Toe warmers and Futi's for me. I buy the toe warmers in the Hunting dept. of Walmart.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Hunted Saturday and the winds were gusting here in Virginia. Deplorable scenting conditions.

Wore an older pair of gloves, the outside was the well known crochet backing, but the inside was a stitched in wool lining and my hands were a lovely toasty warm all morning and now I am wondering wherever did I find these little treasures? I want another pair!

Anyone seen them anywhere?

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tantivy1 View Post
    Hunted Saturday and the winds were gusting here in Virginia. Deplorable scenting conditions.

Wore an older pair of gloves, the outside was the well known crochet backing, but the inside was a stitched in wool lining and my hands were a lovely toasty warm all morning and now I am wondering wherever did I find these little treasures? I want another pair!

Anyone seen them anywhere?
    Yes, these were the winter Miller's Goodhands. I am not sure, but maybe they are being made by Ovation now? still have a pair with the tags on, haven't worn out my SSG gloves yet. I like the winter Allweather gloves.
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Perfect, the SmartWool socks are available in a store near me. Looking forward to purchasing a pair and giving them a try.

Thanks!

Smile Socks....

Socks.....like everything else, layering is best - leave toe-wiggle room, though!

Try smartwool socks as a base layer, then polartec 100 (or 200 if you've got space) socks over the top. Both available on Ebay and STP (of course).

If your feet are getting cold, try changing into dry socks immediately before you ride - even a little sweat can start to cool things down.

Roll on springtime mud!

Oh my gosh.....I bought a pair of Smartwool socks yesterday and wore them at work today. I sloshed through melting snow, water on the cement floor, stood on the wet cement floor and my feet NEVER were uncomfortable! I kept waiting for *the* moment you know your toasted because your feet are wet & cold and it never came!

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll be collecting these babies so I have a pair for every day of the week!

I wear smartwool socks all the time (inside and out) and have tried every kind of warm sock (went to outdoor winter survival section of store) and my toes still are ALWAYS cold... maybe it's a mental thing for me to have cold toes or maybe it's from neuro damage or one of my other many problems

I guess I'll try the toe warmers and see if they work

I don't know when I'll get to go hunting next since I'll be out of town this next weekend for 2 weeks and then get knee surgery. My horse is getting lazy chilling in his pasture with Mark and eating HIS molasses crinkles I made along with all the other junk food he can get.

Default Great winter boots!

I got a pair of these and wore them today for the first time. They were great for riding; much more sleek than other boots. They do run a size small, but are very comfortable. I think I'll be able to wear them hunting.

www.equusunlimited.com

Search for item number 308009, or wide calf 308010. I was in 6" of snow before and after riding, then ran errands in them. Our temps here were in the upper 30's and they felt great with just a pair of light socks under them.
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

Aw TBlitz, that is too bad about the socks not working for you. I really did notice a difference in my comfort using the Smartwool socks. Good luck w/ the knee surgery, how long will that keep you out??? I'm toying w/ the idea of taking off work tomorrow and hunting since it will be the first time in a I think a couple weeks that the hunt can go out.

Rt66Kix- I've been following the threads on warm winter tall boots and *thinking* about them. Maybe next year I'll take the plunge. As is, I don't have borium on my mare and once we get snow getting my trailer in and out is one issue, the snow packed gravel road I live on (2 miles from the highway) is whole another one. Still, those would be nice boots on just plain cold days. Thanks for the link!

Default I ordered a pair of these

From Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l&N=4887&Nty=1

They are thinsulate and gortex. I'll let you know how they are when I get them. I also wear an older version of the Rimfrost boot from Mountain horse when the temps get below 30 deg. F. They aren't quite appropriate but no one has complained. My feet definitely stay warm.

Once I put the foot warmers in them because it was a cold 20 degrees when we started out. I thought my feet were going to burn up. I don't recommend putting the foot warmers in a heavily insulated boot. They sure are fine in my regular hunt boots though and my feet are always cold.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I don't hunt but I do go to a lot of Hunter Paces. Years ago at a very cold Hunter Pace someone shared the secret of keeping your feet warm. As someone else mentioned the reason your feet get cold is they get hot first, sweat, and then they are cold . Spray them with antiperspirant before putting your socks on. They don't sweat and they don't get cold . You can also spray your hands before putting on gloves.

I also like the thorlo ski socks.

http://www.thorlo.com/

Terry
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

Get out- antiperspirant on our tootsies??? I'm gonna try that one too!!

I'm hunting tomorrow- as I told Doc late in the day, "my horse called me at work this morning and said 'take off on Wednesday because the weather will be nice for hunting!" so even though it's suppose to be in the 40's, I'll give it a try.

I cannot live without my Polarfleece socks!!!

http://www.acorn.com/product_detail....2&StyleCD=0134

I LOFF them. They work for hunting, galloping racehorses in a blizzard, and everything in between!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I've been reading this thread with interest, especially since my SO suffers very badly from the cold. He might ride with me in winter if I can keep his hands and feet from going numb.

Do any of you folks use tapedaros for hunting? Are they even legal turnout? I swear I saw a place once selling fleece-lined tapedaros for English stirrup irons and thought it was brilliant. Any experiences?