The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    227

    Default Weridest thing you have ever seen?

    I was thinking after reading about the drama of the AA/A H/J shows of late; what is the weirdest thing you have seen in Eventing Land? Not tragic just plain, head turning, eye popping odd?
    If you can see it, your doing it wrong...



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2005
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    ? Give me some examples.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2000
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    5,176

    Default

    You mean the middle aged woman on the more than middle aged horse wearing sparkly/spangly/slinky helmet & vest covers with sparkle bell boots and brushing boots?

    Or the horse jumps out of the ring, rider turns around, jumps back in and continues the course?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Or the horse jumps out of the ring, rider turns around, jumps back in and continues the course?

    Absolutely FABULOUS!!! Good for her. My horses go out the same way the came in...and if that means doing what she did, finishing the course and walking out the gate...you bet your ass I would do the same thing.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal.

    A big, fat, black draft horse named Tinkerbell thundering around at BN.

    All of those itty bitty mutant dogs that people carry around at horse shows nowadays, shivering and looking as if they're going to die of apoplexy at any moment. Gross!
    Click here before you buy.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    All of those itty bitty mutant dogs that people carry around at horse shows nowadays, shivering and looking as if they're going to die of apoplexy at any moment. Gross!


    The "kick me" dogs!!!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 1999
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,565

    Default

    The woman who rides XC with a big TASSLE hanging down from her horse's girth, giving all the fence judges heart apoplexy (which I think I spelled wrong)
    Last edited by FlightCheck; Nov. 28, 2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: horse's girth, not HER girth :)



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2005
    Posts
    110

    Default The ultimate oh crap moment

    Saw a girl in the warm up down at Menfelt in Maryland. Her horse was stopping like a fat lady at the donut stand. She fell off twice before she went off to the start box. I seem to remember she was going YR Prelim and was definately riding her horse is some kind of hackamore thing. I was sitting at the water when she came over the fourth fence, a tiger trap, when it occurred to me how scary it was going to be to watch her do the water so I got up and walked down a side road to the back part of the course when.... lo and behold...
    here comes that rider at a dead gallop straight towards me. WOW, is she off course.
    At first I think, well she got eliminated and is leaving. Hmmmn, she certainly is going a tad fast. Yikes as I dive out of her way... and as she gallops past completely out of control I notice ...
    NO BRIDLE!
    As her horse is merrily galloping back into the course, the horse's nose literally touches the tail of a galloping horse about to take the Tiger Trap... then it swerves into the field with the advanced jumps on it.
    Finally, the rider picks her moment and ejects from saddle, does an amazing roll and pops up to go running to catch her wild eyed mount.
    I actually got to talk to her later about the incident. She said she knew that the bridle had been broken but chose to keep on jumping till the flipping thing fell off.

    Unbelievable.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merry_one View Post
    Saw a girl in the warm up down at Menfelt in Maryland. Her horse was stopping like a fat lady at the donut stand. She fell off twice before she went off to the start box. I seem to remember she was going YR Prelim and was definately riding her horse is some kind of hackamore thing. I was sitting at the water when she came over the fourth fence, a tiger trap, when it occurred to me how scary it was going to be to watch her do the water so I got up and walked down a side road to the back part of the course when.... lo and behold...
    here comes that rider at a dead gallop straight towards me. WOW, is she off course.
    At first I think, well she got eliminated and is leaving. Hmmmn, she certainly is going a tad fast. Yikes as I dive out of her way... and as she gallops past completely out of control I notice ...
    NO BRIDLE!
    As her horse is merrily galloping back into the course, the horse's nose literally touches the tail of a galloping horse about to take the Tiger Trap... then it swerves into the field with the advanced jumps on it.
    Finally, the rider picks her moment and ejects from saddle, does an amazing roll and pops up to go running to catch her wild eyed mount.
    I actually got to talk to her later about the incident. She said she knew that the bridle had been broken but chose to keep on jumping till the flipping thing fell off.

    Unbelievable.



    As I was reading that, my mouth *literally* dropped (and hung) open...(Good thing I'm inside, and it's not fly season )

    Wow, unbelievable!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal.
    Uh, this is totally going to be me when I start eventing! I was thinking Kelly green, though. Gotta find a horse to match first. And start jumping again...



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2006
    Posts
    2,469

    Talking

    Ewwww can I play????

    This actually happened to me but I have it in pictures and still cracks me up! I was going prelim on my good trusty appyX. We were clean and fast even through the water! Next to last fence was actually the coffin complex, built as vertical, 2 strides ditch, one stride vertical. Colin has no problem with ditches so gallop around the corner close my leg to move up and he accidentally got 1 foot over the placing log on the ground, comes to a dead stop and I slide down his neck, he lowers neck and my right hand touches ground. Colin then picks head up with me laying on his face (I really got to scan this pic so people will believe me!) and I slide back down in the saddle, scootch my butt back in and go to circle around to re-approach.......but wait a minute where are my reins?!? Heck with the reins were the hell is my bridle?!? Oh wait I see it stuck to a knot on the log we just laid on. I jumped off, fence judge hands me bridle, put it back on (this had a noseband and flash so still not really sure how that happened), and jumped the coffin and the last fence. That was an odd occurance.

    Here's another one from last summer. Was taking my 5 year old training, he was being fantastic in dressage warm up, cantered to the left great, pick up a right lead canter, do one circle.......followed by him catching his foot not being able to save it, and doing a complete slow-mo slide to the ground depositing me in a pile of poop (his poop non the less from the circle before!) before doing a complete ass over tea kettle flip. Good boy pops up and walks to the nearest person a little dazed and confused and goes in and does a very respectable 37.0, 5 minutes later. Bet none of you have seen too many horses do a flip from a collected canter in dressage warm up!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    494

    Default

    this year the the maryland horse trials one AND two....

    did ANYONE see the guy walking around with a parrot on his shoulder??

    A FREAKING PIRATE WAS AT THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 8, 2006
    Location
    Mo Area IV
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Uh, this is totally going to be me when I start eventing! I was thinking Kelly green, though. Gotta find a horse to match first. And start jumping again...
    hehe, I'm all about pretty, matching xc gear ^_^



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    227

    Default now that the game is started

    How about this: I saw a crazy BN trip about 10 years ago at maybe, Jump Start, where the rider must have fallen off schooling, was in white breeches, and landed in a mud pile, but just on her butt, and just the area where you can imagine.

    The whole time the jump judges are on the radio saying, 'Rider XYZ stained herself!'

    I was at the horse park (Ky) I think maybe jump start again, and the annoucer called my uber mare a gelding during XC and that was only time in that mare's life she stopped on course! She was appauled.
    If you can see it, your doing it wrong...



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Once while fence judging during the novice division, a fair number of years ago at Inavale, a lady cantered into the water, somehow lost her reins (and balance), got herself upright just as the horse jumped out of the water complex over the preliminary's in jump. Cantered off like nothing happened. I can't remember what the drop was from the preliminary jump down into the water, but that little novice horse had no trouble jumping up out of it. I can still remember the sinking feeling, thinking a crash was coming, and everyone clapping when there was not any issue.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2002
    Location
    Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    The "kick me" dogs!!!
    I am gald I am not the only one thinking they are that shaped for a reason
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2005
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    I was jump judging novice once when a little connemara knocked the entire jump over. Turns out he was clear (who knew?), but good god, he hit that jump HARD (it was a faux stone wall).



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 6, 1999
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,265

    Default

    Damned fricking miniature stallion that got loose and ran up to our dr warmup at the VA HC. They were having a mini show while we were having a ht up the hill (before 600 others decided VA is really good event and enter). Little sucker was like trying to catch a chicken. My horse immediately said I had enough and bolted out of there. Others were just trying to get out of the way. Meanwhile stupid stud was trying to run into everyone's butt.
    There's a bloopers video out there of it. Got a butt shot of us exiting.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2004
    Posts
    560

    Default

    I actually got to talk to her later about the incident. She said she knew that the bridle had been broken but chose to keep on jumping till the flipping thing fell off.

    She should be banned from the sport for life with that kind of judgement call!!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2005
    Location
    Granite Falls, WA
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Speaking of minis....
    I remember walking a horse to the warmup at Kentucky HP during the summer event, the one where we shared the grounds with the mini show?! Remember that?
    I rounded a corner, on a loose rein, only to encounter two kids 'drag racing' their mini horses in roadster carts on the pavement. Thankgod my horse was so stunned that I had a nanosecond to gather the reins! That is when I started wondering about the logic of two shows together.

    Then later that weekend I went into the indoor and watched the "mini jumping class"
    .... on leashes!!

    ugh.



Similar Threads

  1. Sucking on bit a good thing or bad thing?
    By cyberbay in forum Dressage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
  2. If it isn't one thing...
    By Eklecktika in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec. 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
  3. Is there such a thing...
    By winfieldfarm in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May. 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
  4. Is There Such A Thing As....
    By indygirl2560 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec. 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
  5. Am I doing the right thing?
    By ItchyRichie in forum Off Course
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: Nov. 10, 2008, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •