The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Night Hunters

In the good old days, when the Chronicle was printed on newspaper, and I had just been introduced to Fox Hunting. I read several articles by men who had gone out 'night hunting' and what they had learned from the experiences.
    I think it would be grand if the Chronicle would print some of them again......They would have to be made 'politically correct' but they were fasinating reading.

Or they could even go out with some night hunters now.

Yup - it's alive and well.

Though it would be nice if COTH did more on different types of hunting with hounds. Seems like it's really changed - more like a generic horse mag now. Used to be really oriented towards sporting and rural life.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Yup - it's alive and well.

Though it would be nice if COTH did more on different types of hunting with hounds. Seems like it's really changed - more like a generic horse mag now. Used to be really oriented towards sporting and rural life.

Speaking of that, I just got a subscription to 'Garden and Gun' - it's a glossy mag on Southern living. Has a horse article in each issue (I think, I've only received two). But it is more the 'sporting lifestyle' and lots of lovely pics!

I don't know anyone who actually hunts at night,but i do have foxhunting friends who like to ride at night on the trails. Personally ,I think that is pretty dangerous,and have no desire to try it. I can't imagine actually hunting at night. Galloping and jumping? What about holes ,and rocks,and ,yikes.hanging tree limbs? What sort of wish for potential serious accidents does this involve? And for the love of God ,WHY???
    I have wacked myself on more tree limbs in broad daylight than I care to admit. Isn't thundering around the countryside ,through rough terrain, when you can actually see the impending danger ,enough of a thrill?

Really? I'll have to check that out. I really enjoy hunting with hounds. On a horse, on foot - doesn't matter.

ETA - horsekpr - you got it all wrong. There many ways to hunt with dogs - only one of which is the English style of mounted foxhunting. "Night Hunting" isn't the same thing - though I can see how you'd be confused!

Actually, horses have very good night vision. I've jumped coops by the light of the silvery moon, and here I still am! And these days I do the Pony Express re-ride every June, at all hours of day and night, and yes, when you are galloping along with no clue what's on the ground in front of you, it's nice to know that the horse can see at least a little bit, and is also sensible enough to not go flat out!

But no, night hunting is not on horseback, typically. Night fox hunting is good ol' folks around the campfire, listening to their hounds making music around them in the woods and bragging when they hear 'their' hounds. Coon hunting is way fun too, and if you are equipped with a proper coon hunting mule, it'll jump a wire fence from a standstill, you just get on the other side and cluck. It'll load into the back of a pickup too. Now, out west, cougar hunting with hounds does involve horses, and does sometimes involve riding them at night, and also, I understand, involves a horse that ties well, because when you reach the point where it's too rough for horses to continue, you tie them and continue on foot, and may not be back to get them for 6 or more hours.

Whew !! Am I relieved. Thanks for setting me straight. I had nightmares last night ,of wild foxhunting through the woods in the pitchblack. Bodies everywhere,horses running loose,hounds lost.truely frightening ! Thank God ,fox hunters aren't totally insane. well...some of them ,anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    Whew !! Am I relieved. Thanks for setting me straight. I had nightmares last night ,of wild foxhunting through the woods in the pitchblack. Bodies everywhere,horses running loose,hounds lost.truely frightening ! Thank God ,fox hunters aren't totally insane. well...some of them ,anyway.
    Nah - the upper level eventers are the insane ones! Those obstacles on xc are crazy!

Foxhunters are intrepid (by nature or with the help of a flask)

I agree ,the eventers are completely nuts,and they don't even drink before they ride! Please don't tell the eventers about riding at night.They might get the idea to event at night. although it might very well improve their dressage scores.

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    I agree ,the eventers are completely nuts,and they don't even drink before they ride! Please don't tell the eventers about riding at night.They might get the idea to event at night. although it might very well improve their dressage scores.

I have no desire to go foxhunting at night (on horseback).. (and I am an eventer (lower level)) as hunting during the day is quite enough of a thrill for me!

That said I DO want to canter/gallop in the huge fields down the road after the first snow fall when there is a full moon. You can actually see quite well in such conditions. I wouldn't do this in any random field but these fields we ride in regularly and are aware of any holes etc... Not sure if I'd be up for jumping a coop in the dark like Beverly though

Default Garden and Gun

I also recently subscribed to Garden and Gun. Nice articles about Belle Meade and the oldest VA Beagle pack (forgot their name!). Nice magazine - and I gave two subscriptions for Christmas Gifts.

Nantucket/Trewelyn Beagles?

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Nantucket/Trewelyn Beagles?
    Actually Waldingfield lays claim to being the oldest pack. But I'd love to see an article on either pack!

Thumbs up Waldingfield

Waldingfield Beagles. Again, really nice magazine. Anytime I can see beautiful photos of the nicest shotguns in the world, Mississippi delta ruines and dives, hounds, clothes, dove hunting in Argentina and Palm Beach, I'm a pretty happy camper. That was in this month's issue. Actually, it's bimonthly and about our beloved south and its country life-style.
    I still miss Spur, but I think this will have a wider audience.

Hmmmm - I think I'm going to amend my letter to Santa. That magazine sounds good.

The Nantucket folks were guests of the basset pack I hunt with - I keep meaning to go out with one of the local beagle packs. I never seem to get around to it.