The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Angry WWYD: Pit bull v. horse

Our new neighbor has a pit bull. For two months we had no problems. She was walking in on a leash and able to keep it in control.

The weather is getting colder. Hence she no longer walks it out on a leash. Just lets it outside and she herself goes back in the house.

Last saturday it ran across the road to my Dads house and got into a fight w/my Dad german shepard who was tied up in the back yard.

Last night I was walking to the barn from my house which is close maybe 2/10th of a mile and I could see my horse running like a maniac in the field. I think to myself "well you are about 1/2 hour late to the barn....so he just must be charged up".

Well no.....

that wasnt it.....

The friggin lady let her dog out and it is chasing my horse around the field and barking at him. I run up the the field and the dog comes out of the field barking and snarling at me w/it's hair up on it's back. The lady comes out and is calling the dog. Not even remotely worried that she has no control over the situation. It takes her another 2-3 minutes to walk over and get control of the dog.

Im of course FURIOUS at this point.

We do live in a rural area. BUT everyone around us keeps dogs tied/ leashed/ kennaled/ fenced. (Including us and we have 145 acres / our JRT's are only off leash if they are w/us). She is the only one w/dog's running loose.

Hubby thinks I should put bird shot in the .38 and keep it in the barn. He says that the law is on the side of the livestock.

But I don't want to shoot anyones dog. At the same time asking her nicely to keep her dog leashed is not working. I don't even bring my dogs to the barn w/me anymore. Let alone I'm afraid to t/o the horse and pony.

I can not change the fencing type this winter....I would definately have to save the cash up to do that mesh stuff.

WWYD?????

Call animal control next time the dog is loose, maybe then she will get the point to keep him on the leash!

I would write her a clear, to the point letter telling her to keep her dog off your property and the next time it happens you WILL contact animal control. This way you have something in writing. Then, if the dog is found on your property again, you need to follow through and call animal control.

She could easily solve the problem by putting up one of those invisible fences and having the dog wear the collar.

Birdshot would do less damage to the dog than a kick from the horse. Go ahead an nail him, he will learn to stay away and your neighbor willl pay some steep vet bills to pick out all the shot. If he gets hold of one of your JRs they are history.

Dig a hole, shoot the dog, say nothing, problem solved.
    Last edited by CBudFrggy; Nov. 30, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Default maybe tell her that you really don't want to call

animal control but you will unless she keeps it leashed?

that's so irresponsible of that woman.
    i have an english bull terrier with v. strong prey drive. she spent the first 6 months of her life running loose on a horse farm (before i got her). she thinks chasing horses is fun. because she was allowed to do it during those months, her prey drive just go reinforced. she has not been allowed to chase them for 3 years now and yet, when i walk her around the pasture and the horses come near the fence she immediately gets that crazy look in her eye.

i do hope you can resolve it. not fair to shoot the dog b/c of the stupid owner. but definitely call the cops and/or animal control if you get no results with her.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Sorry to hear you have a dog problem. In my neck of the woods they get ONE warning...then S S S
    Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up.
    Have a face to face with your neightbor (bring hubby!)
    and explain that she will be liable for any and all vet bills should her pet puppy getinto your pasture again... and your horse' life is worth
    considerably more than her dog's when its on YOUR side of the property line. Inconsiderate dog owners have to be shown the
    error of their ways...and its a shame when the
    dog has to be the one to pay. Not the dog's fault..
    I have more than one dog buried behind my pasture....they all got one chance. Only one. Sad thing about dogs when they get a taste for blood...never goes away.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Default wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by CBudFrggy View Post
    Did a hole, shoot the dog, say nothing, problem solved.
    was this tongue in cheeck? if not, you really can't come up with a better solution?

how abut dig a hole, shoot the owner, say nothing, problem solved.

i mean shouldn't there by some kind of an attempt to resolve this without resorting to shooting a dog? how about if your horse broke loose from the fence and scared someone's alpacas and they decided that the best way to resolve the problem is by shooting your horse next time they see it running loose?

please try to reason things out before your resort to killing!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I'd let her know that if your horse kills the dog with a blow to the head, it is not your responsibility, as it came onto YOUR property. I think she needs a serious reality check.

You should also get a donkey/mule. I've heard they can be vicious to intruders.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

..........Last saturday it ran across the road to my Dads house and got into a fight w/my Dad german shepard who was tied up in the back yard...........The friggin lady let her dog out and it is chasing my horse around the field .............the dog comes out of the field barking and snarling at me w/it's hair up on it's back............
    The dog poses an imminent danger to your dad's dog, your horses, and you. If the owner doesn't have the decency to remove the threat, then it's up to you to choose between the existence of the dog and the safety of yourself and your animals.

ETA: I wouldn't pepper the dog with bird shot. If you're going to shoot it, either get him with paint (harmless) or shoot to kill. That grey area between "unharmed" and "dead" can put you at risk of animal abuse charges. The charges probably wouldn't stick, but it'd be a real PITA to deal with.
    Last edited by Aggie4Bar; Nov. 30, 2007 at 10:41 AM.
    Jer 29: 11-13

What macmtn said, with the addition that you look up your state's revised code of laws online, and find the one about dangerous dogs harassing livestock, where it says that it is perfectly legal for you to kill the trespassing dogs, print that law out, and ask the local sherriff to send an officer to accompany you on this little information visit to the neighbors, so she knows for darn good and certain that the law is *COMPLETELY* on your side and she has *NO* right to complain.

Marta:

Yes, I'm sure she means it. Unfortunately we live in an area that is the same. They've moved to the country so their dogs can run free. I love dogs - I just hate the neighbours.

I have had many confrontations with neighbours about loose dogs. By law (up here in Canada anyway) I am legally allowed to shoot any dog that is chasing and harassing my livestock. That is what the police have told me.

Unfortunately I'd rather shoot the people (and I couldn't shoot the dog) but I've had to call the cops and have them charged because their dog was chasing my horses.

Fortunately the latest group is pretty okay and I haven't had to worry lately.

Nancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilex View Post
    Last saturday it ran across the road to my Dads house and got into a fight w/my Dad german shepard who was tied up in the back yard....The friggin lady let her dog out and it is chasing my horse around the field and barking at him. I run up the the field and the dog comes out of the field barking and snarling at me w/it's hair up on it's back. The lady comes out and is calling the dog. Not even remotely worried that she has no control over the situation. It takes her another 2-3 minutes to walk over and get control of the dog.
    Shoot the dog. It attacked your family's dog, it attacked your family's horse, and it threatened to attack you. If you want, use the shot as a 'warning' to let the dog know there are consequences when it comes on your property - shoot past it, or shoot it with buckshot. But don't forget that you're going to eventually run into him off your property. If you want to get some pointless exercise, warn the owner first that the next time Bowser comes to call and is aggressive, he'll be shot at.

As to the 'it's the owner, not the doggie!' complaint, I have to agree that the owner is an a$$. But the dog is one too. I've known untrained and casually owned dogs who could live calmly with others even when left to their own devices. It is not neccessary to be a butt and go attacking and threatening every living being in a 12-mile radius just because you're a dog whose owner has taken to letting you out of the house without a leash. I swear to god people are attracted to dogs who are just like themselves - abrasive jerks with boundary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilex View Post
    WWYD?????
    Fill him with 2" slugs, and call the police to file a report against the owner.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Can you add a strand or two of electric to the bottom of the fence where the dog is getting in to keep him out of your fields? While it may skirt the issue of your neighbors being irresponsible, it does work to keep the dog out of the field.

Call animal control every time - or the police. Yes, keep the .38 handy just in case. If you are comfortable using it you may end up in a situation where it saves your life or your animal's. Yes, the law is on the side of the livestock owner but you'll have better defense in the event of a potential lawsuit if it's documented that someone was called out.

My grandparents' neighbors had a pit that was very sweet and hung around all the time - until the barn cat ran to chase a leaf one time. The dog lunged and killed it instantly. I was 10 at the time I saw it and have never trusted a pit bull since then. Personal experience of course, but I wouldn't ever take the risk.

Play nice does NOT work with a pit bull running loose. I am a dog owner, dog breeder, dog lover and relentlessly anti dog breed specific bans.
    I say shoot the dog. You are within your legal rights to shoot a dog that is chasing and/or harassing your livestock.

A couple of years ago just outside of Denver a woman was killed by two pit bulls when she went out to her barn early in the morning to take care of her horses.
    What came out later is that these dogs had been running loose for months. Neighbors had repeatedly complained to the owners, to the sheriff, tickets were issued.
    The dogs had never harmed anyone previously and although they had been chasing livestock they hadn't killed any.
    So everyone was still talking and complaining and trying to be nice about it when the dogs finally got their prey drive up enough to tackle real prey.

This same story is repeated all over the country. Pit bulls are not the only ones, they are just one of the hardest to deter once they get going.

DO NOT play games with this situation and DO NOT wait for the horses to kick the dogs. The horses are not the only prey available.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    was this tongue in cheeck? if not, you really can't come up with a better solution?

how abut dig a hole, shoot the owner, say nothing, problem solved.

i mean shouldn't there by some kind of an attempt to resolve this without resorting to shooting a dog? how about if your horse broke loose from the fence and scared someone's alpacas and they decided that the best way to resolve the problem is by shooting your horse next time they see it running loose?

please try to reason things out before your resort to killing!
    IME (1) people who own these dogs are unwilling to change their own behaviour to benefit their dogs; and (2) loose dogs cause serious harm when left to their own devices long enough. I have no problem with anyone shooting a dog to save their horse, their livestock, their children's lives, their pets, their own lives. And I was raised in and live in the city, not the country, where it's illegal to discharge a firearm unless it's in defense of self. So, it's not like I have some type of redneck mentality either.

As the OP said, the owner was too lazy to face the colder weather to properly leash her dog and walk it like it needs. And as others have noted, this dog has already attacked her Dad's dog, and threatened her with raised hackles when confronted. This is a no-win situation for the dog b/c the owner will not likely change. Better to get it over with than draw it out endlessly.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

If it comes down to my horses or my safety,the dog will lose.My mare was bitten by one almost 2 years ago on the side of her face.Those jaws are so powerful when they clamp down,you don't want to have that happen.The one puncture site on my mare is still weepy and crusty after 22 months and over $5000 in vet bills.My point is,shoot the dog if it happens again.
    mm

People who would never stereotype horse breeds (TBs are hyper, WBs are stupid) are willing to do so to dog breeds it seems. There are good pit bulls and there are bad pit bulls. There are good labs and bad labs. Good goldens and bad goldens. Good terriers and bad terriers. And then you add in the fact that few people can identify a pit bull and many blame any dog bit or attack on a pit because they are making an assumption...

Can we please not let this "what should I do about a dog chasing my horse" thread denegrate into a a "pit bulls are viscious killers" thread.

I apologize for soap-boxing right here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.