The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Verizon pony commercial TEES ME OFF

Did anyone see the Verizon "Christmas pony" commercial? Is it just me or is that the most disgusting equine portrayal ever? I got PO'd big time, looked at the Verizon website, found some contact names and sent the following letter. Feel free to plagarize from me and do the same.

James.Gerace@VerizonWireless.com; Debra.Lewis@VerizonWireless.com; Jeffrey.Nelson@VerizonWireless.com; Jeffrey.Nelson@VerizonWireless.com

Dear Sirs and Madam of Verizon Corporation:

It is with great dismay that I write this complaint about a Verizon commercial that I viewed on ESPN for the first time this evening. The advertisement features teen or pre-teen girls comparing traits of their gifts, one of which is a pony. As an animal lover, horse owner and a citizen concerned with healthful development of youth, I find your commercial repulsive for several reasons. I will attempt to explain why this ad gives me a sick feeling in my gut as follows:

1. The disappointment and disgust portrayed by the girls conveys a lack of respect for the gift giver, whom we might assume are her parents or other family members. Rebellion against authority figures is a standard advertising hook, but when an animal is involved the connotations become downright ugly. One can imagine that the animal in the commercial will be neglected as a result of her dislike of him.

2. Showing a backyard care arrangement, with a short rope and no visible food or shelter, again causes one to think that this animal will not be cared for adequately. While the intent may have been to connote the “stupidity” of the actors’ parents, relying on that rebellion hook again, it’s not amusing when a living creature suffers.

3. The portrayal of the pony in the commercial connotes that the animal is undesirable and unintelligent. How dare you offend a living creature, capable of actively interacting with human companions, in such a manner? Furthermore, why would you want to insult every little girl, and former little girls, who dreamed of one day caring for their own pony?

The commercial is, ultimately, an insult to your own intelligence. Please get rid of it. Thank you for hearing this request, which is being blind copied to approximately 60 other horse owners and posted on a public forum viewed by thousands of members.

Eve F. (my full name and phone were included)
    3510 Seven Rivers Hwy.
    Carlsbad, NM 88220
    *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

You can see this commercial here.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I saw it and was mildly irritated. I'm guessing their target market isn't the horse crowd .

Of course, you're singing to the choir here because most of us, given the choice of the two, would rather have a horse(s) than a phone.

Then it adds insult to injury because it hits a nerve for those who didn't get that xmas pony. What Verizon doesn't know is most of us would have given up electricity, much less phones, to have a pony.

p.s. edited to add: I remember a marketing course warning of using humor in commercials. What is funny to one person, may not be funny to someone else. That's true for this commercial.

Call me odd...I thought the commercial was funny as heck when I first saw it the other day. The "mean sounding" evil little shaggy pony with pinned ears eating the dog house...and then the teen girl's emphatic reply of "Yes!" when asked if it bites...have to admit I giggled.
    I never even assumed that anyone watching the commercial would assume it was okay to get someone a pony and tie it to a doghouse. I just saw it as the proverbial "dream come true" holiday present for a little girl coming way too late...teens preferring electronics rather than ponies by that age.
    I didn't get offended at the commercial earlier this year that had a little girl making a wish before blowing out her birthday candles...and then each guest at her party turns into a pony. Never assumed someone would then keep a dozen ponies in their dining room.
    It's a funny commercial...it's not meant as a blueprint on horsekeeping.
    And if we all search our memories a bit...I'll bet most of us can remember or currently know an evil looking little shetland like the one in the Verizon commercial.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I thought it was funny. I wouldn't want someone to get me an evil pony that was really EVIL. I liked the tech guy flinching when the pony made his evil whinny.

Love that tech guy...his expressions in every commercial always make me grin.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sorry, didn't bother me a bit either. It was funny.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Another vote for funny.

Wow. You win the prize for Overreaction of the Week.

You're correct that the commercial implies that pony would be neglected in this situation. The commercial also STRONGLY implies that no one should buy a pony and tie it to their dog house. Name one person you know who will look at that commercial and say, "Oh, that looks like a wonderful idea! I will buy a pony and tie it to my dog house in my suburban back yard."

You will also surely admit that most teenage girls of the age portrayed in the commercial have long outgrown their desire for a pony. THE WHOLE POINT OF THE COMMERCIAL is that you SHOULDN'T buy a pony for your teenager this Christmas. If anything, you should be thrilled that this commercial is showing a caricature of how buying a pony without the proper preparation or knowledge can completely backfire. I would much rather have the public receive that message through a TV commercial (where the pony was undoubtedly well cared for and carefully supervised by its handler--there are laws about such things) than find it out on their own by purchasing a pony.

I thought it was funny, and I seriously doubt that it hurts animal rights. Grow a sense of humor.

Default Exactly how I see it

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Call me odd...I thought the commercial was funny as heck when I first saw it the other day. The "mean sounding" evil little shaggy pony with pinned ears eating the dog house...and then the teen girl's emphatic reply of "Yes!" when asked if it bites...have to admit I giggled.
    I never even assumed that anyone watching the commercial would assume it was okay to get someone a pony and tie it to a doghouse. I just saw it as the proverbial "dream come true" holiday present for a little girl coming way too late...teens preferring electronics rather than ponies by that age.
    I didn't get offended at the commercial earlier this year that had a little girl making a wish before blowing out her birthday candles...and then each guest at her party turns into a pony. Never assumed someone would then keep a dozen ponies in their dining room.
    It's a funny commercial...it's not meant as a blueprint on horsekeeping.
    And if we all search our memories a bit...I'll bet most of us can remember or currently know an evil looking little shetland like the one in the Verizon commercial.
    I think the OP is reading too much into it! I doubt most folks take commercials as gospel! As for the shetland, Yup Know several evil ones!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Ok, I giggled a little. Chill out, its only a commercial. Most people won't pay any attention to it.

Gotta love those evil Shitland ponies...
    I think the commercial definitely is a warning against buying a child of *any* age a pony to parents who might think a pony would be a great holiday gift, but who don't know much of anything about horses yet.
    Any parent contemplating buying a pony for Christmas would definitely change their minds after seeing that commercial.. "Good Lord Agnes...if we get Princess a pony it might kill her!"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Overeaction extraordinare.............

Pretty funny IMO

I actually had a good laugh over that commercial, especially when the one girl asks "does it bite?" and the other girl goes "yup."

Not to mention, they show teenage girls. At that age, most girls want cellphones, cars and to go to the mall with their friends, not that pony they wished for as a 4yo.

Thumbs up from a teenager's view

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by emf View Post
    Did anyone see the Verizon "Christmas pony" commercial? Is it just me or is that the most disgusting equine portrayal ever?
    First child the Eldest will reply on my behalf...lifelong rider...coming 15 in spring...not too far removed from girls in commerical:

"This commercial was funny in a WAY because her friends got cell phones that hold music on them(like mine) and all she got was a pony that bites
    I don't think this will lead to pony abuse OR lessen the value of the horse breed. My shetland taught me to ride and drive when I was 4-5 years of age.

Now 14 and 11 Months old I would NOT want a pony for christmas(even though I keep asking for a Mustang all it does is show to the parents that Insted of buying your princess a pony get her a cell phone!!!!! got to go to school now...

-Mariella"

signing off...

Tamara in TN

Default I thought it was funny in a dry way.It definitely didn't offend me.

As a teenager I would have picked a pony over a phone. Heck...I would even now.
    Everyone I know makes fun of my "ghetto" cellphone. It's got tape on it to keep the keys from falling out. My german shepherd chewed it two years ago when he was a puppy.Whenever I think about buying a new, one I think about how many bales of hay that would buy and say "Nah...it's still got life in it."
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I thought the commercial was hilarious. Kudos to Verizon's marketing staff. I think I might write them an email telling them how brilliant it was.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

"How dare you offend a living creature...?"

I don't know what's funnier, the commercial or your letter. Sorry, but someone got your email and started laughing.

I just thought it made the kids look like spoiled brats and I did feel sad for the pony and the parents, who obviously thought they were doing something special. I think all the new Verizon commercials are a bit mean-spirited and portray very egocentric characters (e.g., the looking out for #1 ad).