The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Siamese (or maybe Burmese?) stray needs a home! Balto., MD

I had hoped that a Siamese rescue group would take this little guy, but their evaluator met him tonight and doesn't think he's actually Siamese because his eyes are blue/green in certain light instead of blue. I have no idea what the difference is (other than he doesn't get accepted by the rescue if he is not Siamese)... I am not well-versed in cat breeds. If you are an expert, have a look at the pictures and decide for yourself!

Anyway, I was hoping not to have to list him here, but since it sounds like his chances of getting accepted by the rescue (even though the evaluator thought he was wonderful and easily adoptable) are slim... here goes!

His name is Devin (after Devin Hester of the Chicago Bears, if anyone is wondering, 'cause he can be quite elusive when he wants to be! ) and I spotted him in my alley about 10 days ago. The first night I saw him, he ran away in terror when I went outside to try to give him some canned food. The next night, he was back, and didn't run ALL the way away when he saw me... came back when he saw I had food and ate while I sat there watching, and thought really hard about coming over to be petted, but wasn't quite brave enough yet. The third night, he ran right up to me when he saw me with the cat food can, let me pet him, and climbed right in my lap. And then when I went inside, sat pathetically at my back door and cried while pawing frantically at the window. I lasted all of 10 minutes before I gave in and brought him inside.

He was not neutered, so I took him in to get fixed and get his shots. He tested FIV/FeLuk negative, and has been wormed and Frontlined. He is as friendly as can be, and will sit in my lap for HOURS. (His other favorite spot is perched on my shoulder, the little weirdo.) He is young -- probably a year old, maybe a year and a half -- and is relatively little. Maybe 7 or 8 lbs. at the moment? He's still a bit on the thin side (although not nearly as bad as he was 10 days ago, poor thing).

Personality-wise, he seems very laid back and calm. I've kept him confined in a room by himself, so he might be more active with more room to roam... but so far, he just likes to snooze and maybe bat a toy mouse around every once in a while. He's talkative, but relatively quiet -- he has a soft little "meh" meow, and will chat away with you. He's been very good about being confined to my office -- doesn't cry when he's in here by himself, doesn't try to escape. He's just an all-around really well-behaved little guy. Oh, he's been perfect about using the litter box too.

He's briefly met my other cats and doesn't seem aggressive or overly dominant. He's also met my dog briefly, and although he's not totally sure about the dog thing, he didn't run away in a panic either. He's curious about new places and new people, and is friendly with strangers. Basically, he's just a sweet little dude who seems like he'd get along with everybody!

The only negative I can think of to mention about him is that he can be a little bit love-bitey... he likes to sit on my desk facing me and put a paw on each shoulder and rub right up against my face, and then usually tries to (very gently!) bite my nose. I am, of course, scolding him for that... but honestly, I think it's kind of cute.

Here are some not-terribly-great pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/COTHCatHerder/Devin

I apologize for the boring-ness of them, but the rescue wanted good front and side views, so that's what I was trying to take. And my digital camera is kind of slow, so he has his eyes closed (blinking from the flash) in most of them. The photos definitely don't do his cuteness justice!

As always, I'm willing to deliver within reasonable driving distance of Baltimore. I will also probably be driving from Baltimore to Chicago around Christmastime, so could arrange delivery along that route or near Chicago. And as always, I am willing to take him back at any time if he doesn't work out.

This little guy is REALLY appreciative... he was totally miserable outside and is thrilled to pieces to be rescued. He will make a fantastic buddy for someone and would love to have a permanent home to call his own.

(BTW, for those who are keeping track, this is the 10th perfectly sweet, tame, healthy cat I've rescued from my own city backyard in the last year. PLEASE spay and neuter!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	19157  

Default siamese/burmese

I am in California and have a once upon a time feral siamese that is now 18lbs. It is far from Maryland. If you cannot have him adopted, please let me know.

Siamese, Burmese, whatever---he is GORGEOUS!!

What a beauty, sure looks like a Siamese to me. If only I had room for another furbaby in my life, but I already have 2 collies and 10 cats. Almost all of my cats are strays that I took in. Don't you wish that everyone could be responsible pet owners and have their animal spayed or neutered.

I'll mention him to my sister in law - she said over Thanksgiving dinner that she was wanting a Siamese! It won't matter a bit that he may be Burmese...

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

The rescue evaluator just sent me an email with this article about the Burmese... I had to laugh at the part about being unable to fend for themselves outside and looking to humans for help!

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/burmese.html

At any rate, she thinks he's a purebred champagne Burmese, if that matters to anyone. I just think he's cute and sweet and a great lap warmer!

Default He is gorgeous!

Would Ontario be too far? I just adopted a humane society kitty in August, then lost our 14yr old calico to liver failure and had to put her down in October....so now we just have this new humane society one and we'd love another one. We do have a dog (also a rescue) but he is very laid back with cats and isn't a chaser....he actually plays with the new kitty.

I know of a few people driving back and forth from Ontario to FL so I could check out that option.

Anyhoo, let me know what you think....and he'd keep his name

jcachilles@gmail.com
    Last edited by Hawkridge; Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: editing to say that everything in my household is spayed/neutered....including the hubby :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The rescue evaluator just sent me an email with this article about the Burmese... I had to laugh at the part about being unable to fend for themselves outside and looking to humans for help!

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/burmese.html

At any rate, she thinks he's a purebred champagne Burmese, if that matters to anyone. I just think he's cute and sweet and a great lap warmer!
    That's funny! I just finished flipping through my "Smithsonian Handbook - Cats", and I thought, 'Gee, he looks like the Champagne Burmese that they have pictured."

If I wasn't to capacity, I'd snag him - I told Erin a while ago that I'd like to pre-order a Siamesey cat for my next adoption. Erin works faster than I thought, though. I guess there'll be another one for me in a few years, though.

BTW, Erin, you're going to have to come to Knoxville to get Grumbly Dude back. He's truly a pain in my butt - every. dang. time. I open a can, he's rightthere, looking up at me with his big squishy head, all, "Hello there. I heard there might be snacks handed out soon? I'm interested, please." and I'm all, "It's canned pears, you freak!" He likes edamame and artichoke pasta, btw. He has refined tastes - though he's grooving on the little envelopes of wet cat food I got to spoil them (since they were all getting chunky on the avocado based food, I've switched them over to diet and mandated more time devoted to playing "Pounce," "String," and, of course, "Squishyball" - it's like, Biggest Loser: Cat Camp in my apartment now).

(Oh, and if it wasn't truly obvious, if you show up in Knoxville with a cat carrier, I will laugh and laugh and then we'll take Grumbly out for a drink).
    "talking about love is like dancing about architecture..."
    A Wink & A NodPlaying by HeartA Wing & A PrayerBest to be Elusive

Original Poster

I'm not taking that big lug back! You're stuck with him.

BTW, for those folks who are too far away for Devin, check out the Siamese Rescue: http://www.siameserescue.org . Despite the fact that they don't want little Devin they seem to be a really great organization. They have a transport network called the Meezer Express, and can get cats moved all up and down the East Coast, I believe. I was actually really surprised that there were so many homeless Siamese out there, but apparently they turn up in shelters all the time. Sort of like the ex-stakes-winning racehorses and big time show horses that end up in the kill pens at auctions.

Anyway, if you have a kitty vacancy and want something Meezer-ish, they're a good place to look.

Devin is a beaut! Another one here with the "If I wasn't at capacity" crowd

I also have a Humane Society purebred blue point Traditional "apple head" Siamese who they picked up stray... best chance I ever took!

I hear Burmese are great kitties, I'm sure someone here can find a spot for him!
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I was actually really surprised that there were so many homeless Siamese out there, but apparently they turn up in shelters all the time. Sort of like the ex-stakes-winning racehorses and big time show horses that end up in the kill pens at auctions.
    I've heard that before too, and was always surprised. What one rescue told me years ago was the many people buy them at pet stores/breeders because they want this gorgeous, exotic looking cat, but then are unprepared for a cat that's usually less regal queen lap cat than it is loud, opinionated, bossy and very, very active! Siamese have a LOt of cattitude and many people aren't prepared for their demanding nature. It's too bad....those are the ones I love the most! My Toby (an equally demanding rescued Maine Coon) unfortunately wouldn't stand for having another feline companion He has three Dobermans that keep him busy enough meowing orders!

Just got off the phone with vwBug, and she said she'll take him! She'll get in touch and make the arrangements when she gets to her computer in the morning.

I used to have a Burmese cat and they are WONDERFUL and loving kitties. I hope it all works out!

Yep. I've visited the local one in Orange County, Virginia. AMAZING place! Even have web cams set up. Quite an operation and the cats get the best of medical care. Seemed very well organized. Check out their website though Erin if this adoption doesn't work out. There's a way you can still list a Siamese look alike on their site (or through some sort of e-newsletter that goes out). It's a way for people who are looking for a Siamese to check out the ones that the rescue didn't accept or that the owner/foster doesn't want to surrender to the rescue, etc.

Is Devin still available? We are looking for a kitty just like him. We are in Illinois and I could meet you near Chicago.

Please let me know.

If the other home falls through, a friend 90 minutes from Baltimore will take him. PM me if needed for her email.

Original Poster

Boy, he is a lucky little guy to have so many people who are interested in him. Thanks everybody! I sent an email to VWBug's SIL to see if her home is a good match for him, but I will contact others if need be.

Can I ask a favor? Please also take a look at Midnight's thread. He's an all-black kitty I scooped up off the street just before Halloween. He's been posted on COTH for a month, and no nibbles yet. I know he's just plain black and not exotic like Devin, but he's just as sweet and needs a home too.

Maybe we need to make up a special breed for Midnight? Let's call him a Bombay (http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/bombay-faq.html) - supposedly they are close relatives to the Burmese too

I hope someone can come forward for that guy soon! Cats don't need breed names, they're all pretty much the same on the inside and let's face it - their personalities are SO MUCH better than their registered, perfect, pretty markings!

I could certainly attest to that (and Erin's wonderful cat-rearing skills) - I adopted Sunny, the weird looking orange stray she had listed a few months back. My boyfriend thought he was ugly as sin, being mostly white and having really light yellow eyes. And add to that he's now removed all the hair from his nose, is getting so chunky he looks like a turtle from behind (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=739530133) and he loves to gorge himself on food, only to purge in the middle of our bedroom an hour later.

BUT I LOVE HIM! He's the sweetest cat, has a hilarious girly voice and never ceases to do something awesomely stupid.

Like, for example, chasing the laser pointer v e r y slowly and getting stuck in the carpet the whole way
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=739530133

or sleeping wtih his tongue out
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=739530133

making his own forts
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=739530133

or squashing himself into a teensy weensy cat tower
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=739530133

He's such a doll that he's reforming all of our cat-phobic friends (I previously didn't believe a "cat-phobic" person really existed, but this guy seriously fears their "retractable claws!").

I love black cats and would take Midnight, but I live too far away.

Glad Devin seems to have a home available to choose. I'm sure the purrfect home will come up for Midnight.