The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Updated pictures of Sky, the horse I rescued at Auction....

I know it has only been one week, but I think he has made a HUGE improvement, not only in his looks, but he has gotten soooooo sweet, and he has started trusting me so much more. Anyhow I just wanted to post new pictures of him:

first of all here he was the day after we got him (Last Saturday)
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/sky.jpg

Today before I took his blanket off (I just thought he looked so cute with the blanket on):
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyblanket2week1.jpg

And without the blanket:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyside1week1.jpg
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyfrontweek1.jpg

And then I thought this was just a cute photo of him and our Quarter Horse stallion sharing a moment together:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skyandscotty.jpg

So do you think he has made some good improvements? I can't wait to get another week behind us.

Is that seriously just a ONE WEEK difference? WOW! Nice job, he look great!
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

I would never have thought that was just one week's difference! He looks great!

Yes it is just one week. I could not believe how much better he looked when I took off the blanket. I have not seen him the entire week because he has been blanketed so today was the first time I saw the drastic change. I am so excited because that means he was thin just due to them not taking good care of him and not due to him just being that thin type horse. They had told me they never could get weight on him, but I proved it is possible in just one week. I am so excited about the change. I will post new pictures in another week.

Wow, his coat looks so nice in the newer pics! what a lucky horse!!

So have you done any dressage or english riding on him yet?

No not yet, I am just starting to learn about all this new type of riding, I have always done western riding so this is new to me. But I did find a Dressage trainer that lives just a few streets over from me and I will be taking him to her place later this week for our first evaluation. I am so excited and nervous

Default Sky looks great!

Sky looks amazing....much better after a week of good nutrition.
    I also rescued a very underweight horse. Our vet estimated he was a 2.0 on the Henneke Body Condition Scale. By the end of 1 week he had gained 60#. by the end of 1 month he had gained over #120. He is now close to his ideal weight of #1400 after 2 mths and looks like a different horse. Take weekly photos and weight tape him to track his progress...you will be amazed how different he will look in a very short time. Best of luck with your new addition.

HE LOOKS GREAT!!! I can't believe thats one week either. Good job. We need more horsepeople willing to take care of their animals like you Congrats and Good luck with him.

Thanks . I am very pleased with him. I am thinking I probably will not keep him just mostly because I have enough horses and I don't know anything about this type of riding and I would like to take some lessons on a horse that knows his stuff lol.
    Plus I am breeding my Quarter Horse mare to a Friesian stallion next year and plan on keeping this foal for learning Dressage.
    I am breeding this mare:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Sissy%20010.jpg

To this stallion in 08. I am very excited about the foal. I have always wanted a Friesian cross.
    http://www.centaurfarms.com/images/4...applewood1.jpg

He looks great!

Is your buckskin out of Scottish Bart?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

No. Scotty is actually not a buckskin, he has been tested and does not carry the creme gene, he is an Amber Champagne, and he is registered with the ICHR and the AQHA, but his AQHA papers say he is Buckskin but then under the marking section it says this stallion carries the Champagne dilution. Anyhow we are really big into the champagne Quater Horses, cutting and roping lines. So Sky needless to say is something very new to us lol.

Absolutely incredible that that is just a one week difference. Looks like a totally different horse. Just goes to show what good feed can do. Wow. And kudos to you.

Plus, lovely mare also. Looks like you may have a nice Friesian cross for '09. Good luck with that!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

He looks great after only a week!! And I like your little dog I see in the background!

Great job! Isn't it fun??

I have a buckskin QH gelding who is very blocky, and the "semi-rescue" horse I got is also a chestnut with a blaze (wider, and he has 1 1/2 blue eyes). But if I took a pic of my two, it would look very like yours of your horse and the stallion!

I didn't take "before" pics of my guy, and I really wish now that I had. Keep a good record of his "recovery", you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Keep up the good work!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Good Job!
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

WOW!

I commend you!

You can see it in his eyes that he knows that he is "home" now!

Amazing! What's your secret? Looks shiny too- like he's been getting a lot of good grooming. Very cute- congrats!

Default My secret is.....

Lots of love! Just spending time with him and petting him, talking to him, now for feeding he gets two flakes of alfalfa in the moning one in the afternoon and two in the evening, then two scoops of Equine Junior grain in the morning and again in the evening. And he has had a blanket on for a full week so that is probably what helps his coat to looks so good. Also he was wormed just after we bought him so that might have something to do with it also. He is so sweet and gentle.

But I got that new english bridle I bought on ebay for him, so I am going out to try it on here in a little bit. I will take pictures of it one him. I won't ride today way to windy. But tomorrow is suppose to be pretty so I am hoping to get some riding pictures tomorrow. I will post them.

He looks MARVELOUS!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Ok here are the pictures of the new bridle on Sky:
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skybridle1.jpg
    http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/skybridal2.jpg

So what I would like to know is, what did I buy in this Bridle? They advertised it as a trining bridle and it is easy to change out bits, that was what I really liked about it. But what kind of Bridle is it, I mean does it have a name? I am calling it an English Bridle but I don't know if that is correct.

And I know I said I was not going to ride him today because it was so windy and cold, but after I got the bridle on he was so good while I adjusted it and so quite, I thought I wonder if he would allow Bare Back riding, so I walked him over to a bale of hay and climbed up on him, he just stood quite and then we walked around the pen. I spent more time on him this time trying to figure out what all he knows, He side passes, and does a half pass, I have seen some dressage horses don't know what you call it. He is a little rusty on it but just a few lessons and he should have it done pretty good I think. I only walked him today, I don't want to push him to hard right away. I wish I could have gotten pictures of me riding him, but I was the only one out there and did not have anyone to work the camera. But tomorrow I will get pictures and post them . He is just turning out to be this awsome horse!

OH also do I have the bridle on him right? Should it be tighter or looser? I am only use to western bridles so this one kind of confused me lol.