The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why all the flashes??

Why is it that the options for padded black snaffle bridles with OUT a flash are sooo limited? Why does EVERYONE ride in a flash?

And lastly, where can I find a good one?

Because the flash keeps the mouth closed and assists you with keeping the contact steady to the bit. Less jiggly in the mouth. This is not a bad thing. Why would you not want one? Contrary to popular belief if is not to force poor horsie's mouth closed.

Passier makes some snaffle bridles with buckle-on flashes....so you can actually remove the whole thing.

Try Bobby's Bridles. Available without. Very, very nice quality, as nice/nicer than my Kieffer bridle, but cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Dior View Post
    Because the flash keeps the mouth closed and assists you with keeping the contact steady to the bit. Less jiggly in the mouth. This is not a bad thing. Why would you not want one? Contrary to popular belief if is not to force poor horsie's mouth closed.
    I think the old thought that the flash should be really tight is possibly why people think they should use it to force the mouth closed. Even when it isn't tight it allows for less movement on the horse's part.
    The fact that my horse makes it extremely difficult to snug up a flash or figure 8 tells me that she doesn't like it. Since getting rid of it we have a much happier relationship and she goes softly into the bridle.

Threeday: Get a custom bridle. They are usually the same price or less than a good off the rack bridle.
    You can always add a flash later if you need one.

renvers, I checked eqtack and couldn't find a padded model that was solid black. All they had was black with some garish color for padding.

Honey, who do you recomend for a custom?

Thanks!

I believe that for any of Stubbens padded bridles you can get them with a french, drop, or flash noseband. I got a stubben bridle through a local tackshop- they had the model I liked but not the size, and when I asked if they could add one in the size I needed in their next order, they also asked the type of reins I wanted, bridle & padding color, and noseband style. Someone else I know did the same thing but wanted a passier or kieffer (forget which). I don't think it's an uncommon request for shops to "swap" nosebands when ordering bridles, but unless someone asks for something different, they'll just stock whatever sells (in this case its flashes).
    Otherwise just keep your favorite bridle and just order a new french noseband, keep the flash noseband & just remove the strap, or the little loop that attaches the flash to the bridle can be cut off (the quick & sometimes-later-regretted option) or be removed someone who actually knows how to work with leather/strap goods.

Why would you not want one?
    Because my horses have pretty heads, and I don't think flashes are attractive, especially since my horses don't need them. Nothing turns me off on a pretty horse photograph or painting faster than a flash with the skin bulging out around it, saw one in a stallion ad, yuck. Ew. JMO
    I lost count of the times I’ve given up on you
    But you make such a beautiful wreck you do

think the old thought that the flash should be really tight is possibly why people think they should use it to force the mouth closed. Even when it isn't tight it allows for less movement on the horse's part.
    The fact that my horse makes it extremely difficult to snug up a flash or figure 8 tells me that she doesn't like it. Since getting rid of it we have a much happier relationship and she goes softly into the bridle.

Blixen Finecke ue to say: If the horse runs around the pasture with the the mouth open use a flash/drop, but, if he does it only when ridden; figure out why he is opening the mouth; My horses were also happier and just as soft without , but, certain judges seemed to "take " offense; one told me to look a tthe video to see how much my horse was "yawing " , but, he was not, instead was softly chewing , in fact he gave me the wonderful elastic, "alive " feelingthat morning , throughout the test; in fact, a judge watching from the ring "nextdoor, "next door" came over to ask me about the horse, it was a very cool, damp morninfg at his first event, and he was a star!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    Blixen Finecke ue to say: If the horse runs around the pasture with the the mouth open use a flash/drop, but, if he does it only when ridden; figure out why he is opening the mouth
    Does he have a solution for a horse that lifts it's upper lip and shows you it's teeth? Horse does it in the pasture when he's having fun, on the cross ties, on trail rides, on cross country and the only place anyone seems to care - in dressage. The last judge said that he was baring his teeth at her: 4 - I think he was just smiling for the camera Last time I let anyone take pictures of my dressage

Order the Dover Saddlery catalog (or go on-line to look at bridles immediately). They have a zillion bridles in stock. Their complete print catalog (think the old Sears catalog, only for horses) is a great resource to have kicking around and has pages and pages of bridles, with most of the top brands. For some reason, when I see the bridles on the printed page, I can view all the little differences better than I can on the computer screen. They also seem to give a lot more information about their products in their big catalog than on-line (or maybe it is just easier to access).

If you want to side by side compare all sorts of bridles, it is the best way I know of to do that.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Almost every bridle manufacturer makes flash-less (french) nosebands for their double bridles. And almost all of them will sell a noseband separately. Go find one you like & ask to special order it. Or - just have a saddle repair person remove the flash from your existing noseband.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I dislike flash bridles too and only use them to start my youngsters. Go to VTO Saddlery - they have a clearance sale of Courbettes without flashes, and you can also order several Stubbens sans flash.

www.vtosaddlery.com

Because I am tired of seeing horses with their jaws tight and clenched against the flash. I am tired of seeing horses who are biting and chomping and resisting yet made to look like they are "softly chewing" because of the flash. I am tired of the many so-called BNTs and dressage trainers who have told me to use a flash on my horse.

My own horse has a history of being tight, tense, short-stridded behind and very mouthy on the bit(In a bad way). I told many of those BNTs that I was not going to just tie her mouth shut and was going to teach her to relax and softly accept the bit. Finally one day at a clinic a trainer convinced me to use a flash on her. Without being able to chomp on the bit she found other ways to show her tenseness...such as refuseing to move, lathering sweat, bucking, shaking and other. I immediatly took it off and spent hours trying to calm her down again. Needless to say I have never used one sence and a year and a half later the same mare tracks up beautifully, is perfectly relaxed even in show-settings and goes with her mouth shut except for the occasionaly soft chewing (and nearly always has slightly white "lipstick").

My own experience has led me to watch other horses and I have noticed much of the same. While most horses don't react quite as violently as my own, I have seen many horses who, with the flash on just brace their entire heads against the bridle to make up for their rider's harsh hands or seat. The horses I have seen who go beautifully and well in a flash hardly seem to need it.

IMHO the flash is just another type of gadget or Tie-down meant to fix the horse in a certain "wanted" position that short-cuts good training. I send kudos to the OP and good luck on finding a good one (I am using a cheapy sale-bridle so I'm not the one to recamend where to find a good one).
    Team Awesome fo sho!

Buy a padded double and remove the bradoon strap. They unbuckle and slide out, no biggie.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Jerry's Harness makes beautiful bridles and you can choose the noseband without a flash. http://jerrysharnessshop.com/

Why? Because virtually all the ODGs and BNTs have always used either a dropped noseband or flash noseband until the horse goes into the double bridle. So think of this before you condemn these sorts of nosebands altogether. Unless you want to believe that the masters don't know what they are doing.

Some say that it is to keep the bit steadier in the horse's mouth. If the bit moves around less, it is kinder and gentler and the horse is more willing to take up a nice steady contact. The horse also doesn't need to think about what is just bit "noise" and what is an aid.

I like to use a flash on young and green horses to stop bit evasions before they begin. Bad habits like hanging the tongue out, putting the tongue over the bit, crossing the jaws and opening the mouth are a lot easier to prevent than they are to stop once they have begun. When schooling young horses, it is necessary to use more rein aid than you will need with a trained horse, and horses will generally go through a process of seeking to evade the action of the bit until they understand and accept the aids.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Thanks for all the good replies guys! The links are great, and the discussion is even better.

Does anyone know about the Nunn Finer bridles? I found this one and it looks nice, but the price seems a little too nice...
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductD...roductCode=373

yes, the Nunn Finer bridle is extremely nice- it is Amish made (although I think its very pricey because I can walk into said Amish store and pay close to 1/2)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

A friend bought a nice bridle from Dressage Extensions with a removable flash. The little keeper snapped on. Looked nice with the flash, absolutely no sign of it when removed. Sorry, can't remember the brand.