The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have a warning about Calf Manna.

Barn cats adore it.

I have never known a barn cat who would not go to extreme lengths to get to Calf Manna. Make sure it is in a totally sealed container and that you have indeed remembered to snap the lid back on tightly. Else your Calf Manna level in the bag will decrease rapidly when your back is turned.

It rocket powers cats nicely. I have not noted that result with horses, just the coat/condition benefits already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I have a warning about Calf Manna.

Barn cats adore it.

I have never known a barn cat who would not go to extreme lengths to get to Calf Manna. Make sure it is in a totally sealed container and that you have indeed remembered to snap the lid back on tightly. Else your Calf Manna level in the bag will decrease rapidly when your back is turned.

It rocket powers cats nicely. I have not noted that result with horses, just the coat/condition benefits already mentioned.
    OMG it's funny you should mention this! The barn cat has just recently found out that we feed Rice Bran Meal to Sunshine. So the dang cat will literally jump into the ground feeder and inhale the remaining Rice Bran Meal that Sunshine leaves!
    And I thought that "Slash" the barn kitty was just a bit weird.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

I used to feed it, but now with feeds that are specific for your horse's age and work, the only thing that I use is a high fat supplement (Buckeye Ultimate Finish 25) for my 21 year old ottb mare, to supplement her seinor feed.....but Calf Manna is still used by many people....
    "A good rider can hear his horse speak to him. A great rider can hear his horse whisper.

Proud member of the Insomnia Clique

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

An absolute staple in the breeding barns I grew up learning in. A few 'fancy' show horses got a box thrown in each day too.

For years I used the Blue Seal version of Calf Manna, called Sunshine Pellets. For mares during their last 3 mos of gestation through weaning, and for the young ;uns through the time they finish growth. Almost identical nutrients, and the same wonderful anise smell. I used to use the empty bags for trash in my truck--mainly because they smelled great.

I too have moved on to ration balancers specific to horses, but I do get Sunshine pellets from time to time, when I can't get the MVP. Something about it gets horses back on feed. Maybe the anise.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

What about "Stable Stix", anyone remember those - it was a brick 'o molasses that was supposed to be a supplement too?

And yes I still feed Calf Manna- to all the barn animals...including the calf!

They aren't putting the little box (you had to un-flatten it and insert flap A into slot B or some such...) in the bag of Calf Manna anymore? Dang!

We loved the stuff years ago. I copped to the feed fads and quit, but Bea might do well with some Calf Manna. It worked well and the horses loved it!

Back in the day (70's) we fed Calf Manna to the show hunters but the jumpers all got Clovite. Anyone remember that stuff?

For grain we were feeding crimped oats and sweet feed mixed. Who knew what was in the sweet feed, besides corn and molasses - feed has changed so much in the last 30 years.

Early 80's I used it again for my 3 year old TB - he GLOWED in the dark.

Hmmm. I have a coming 4 year old TB .... hmmm. Probably not. He eats Ultium and LMF Low Carb Stage 1 and is very muscular and shiny. I guess he doesn't need it.

I remember a race trainer or two that I hung out with fed Tiz Wiz they swore by it.

I thought Carnation made Calf Mana *shrug*

And I sure do remember Clovite

I still feed CM, mosty for weight issues, lack of weight.

Dry on grain, or for our toothless 34 year old mare,
    in a hot tastey mash, well she thinks it is.

Dogs love it as much as cats do.

W W!
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

I feed Calf Manna to my babies- about a cup per feeding. They stopped putting the cardboard box in the bag years ago.

My barn cat must be strange- she doesn't bother with the CM at all.

Clovite. I remember feeding that to all the horses on the Morgan farm I worked on. It but a wonderful shine on coats. It it was available locally I'd probably buy it, but last time I looked, nobody carried it in big bags, just expensive little buckets.

I feed the Purina version, Animax, to all my babies and lactating broodmares.

Calf Manna is something I've recommended on this board many, many times. It was "the" supplement of the 1960's and 70's because it was just about considered the perfect supplement.

It still is.

I wouldn't recommend to any first time user to start out with a full little box. On the contrary. We split a box between the younger babies and only give a whole box to the older ones (meaning at least three). Does wonders for the in-foal mare also.

Not only does it make their coats awesome, show fast weight gain and improve tail condition, but it does all that fast, too! In two weeks you can start to see the results of it.

Some feed stores don't carry it. Our Southern States doesn't, so I've had to go to the "other place" down the road. It costs about $25 - $30 a bag where I live.

It's worth it. Why do you think it was so popular "back in the day"? That's when all our mentors were doing their thing!

Give it a try!!!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

A couple of old-time racehorse trainers I knew in California swore by it for hard-keepers.

Back in the 70s when I was in 4-H, we ALL fed calf manna. That was theeee oohhnly supplement we were supposed to feed. It also kept the barn cats, barn dogs, birds and assorted other wildlife well-fed too!
    I just loved the smell.
    SouvenirFarm.com: Rustic Wall Decor & Garden Accents | Gifts for Nature, Garden & Horse Lovers | MerryLegs Horse Christmas Stockings

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    I feed the Purina version, Animax, to all my babies and lactating broodmares.
    I've never heard of that. Is it exactly the same as Calf Manna?

Funny but when I hear 'Animax' I can only think of Panalog ointment!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MommyOfDoodle View Post
    http://groups.msn.com/DelawareDustyBoots/_whatsnew.msnw

I'm trying to figure out how to start my own NEW thread on this site, but
    I can't seem to get it. Pics of the horse are located at the link above or below. Stolen from the Dover, Delaware area!!! Please help us get the word out.

http://groups.msn.com/DelawareDustyBoots/_whatsnew.msnw
    Be sure to post information on www.netposse.org too!
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Calf-manna is still used at my barn!!! Helps feet, makes coats shiny, puts/keeps weight on the skinnies..... we feed 2 ounces 2x day, adjusting as needed. Love the stuff. Hard to find in my area, too.

This thread is making me feel a little old.

I didn't know folks still fed Calf Manna; what with all this equestrian markup goop that's made these days.

I remember Clovite and Source were the big time things to use - in addition to Calf Manna.

And all the foxhunters or folks whose horses needed extra calories in winter just fed plain old corn oil. That was long before any equine studies on supplemental fat as an energy source. Actually - it was before some of the vets that worked on those studies were even born. Yikes.

Now I do feel old.

LOL, Jswan - I feed clovite too.
    (i'm only 25!!!!!!)

CC.PI Guest

Wink

I used to use Calf Manna all the time as a supplement. It did a great job too. However it is expensive but you really don't need to use allot of it.
    CC