The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Usually horses really like Calf Manna. It's 25% protein, so it's good way to get a lot into them by feeding a little. I used it on my pregnant mare last time, and she really put on a lot of weight and dappled so much she almost blinded you. After the baby was born she kept putting on so much weight on it, I had to really back off with it--this with a 2 month old nursing foal.

I took her off of it, but am back to it again because a year later she needs some plumping, but grain is not something she needs. I found it at Walmart here for a really good price--$14 for a 20 pound bag. Right now I'm trying a different brand that is about the same stuff I found for $26 for a 40 lb bag. That ought to last about 4 months.

Years ago, and it may have been on this very thread, I didn't go back through all the pages, someone on COTH gave me the idea to try CM for my foundered STB. I had tried EVERYTHING, including a couple of years on Farriers Formula, and nothing improved his feet. One of the country's top equine nutritionists, who teaches at Rutgers, boards at my barn, and I asked her about CM. She said it wouldn't hurt to try, so I did. Frankly, it's like Manna from Heaven. With no other management changes, my horse's feet improved so much within a few months that my farrier couldn't believe the difference. He's been on it ever since, and we've been riding regularly. Love the stuff and it's reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Years ago, and it may have been on this very thread, I didn't go back through all the pages, someone on COTH gave me the idea to try CM for my foundered STB. I had tried EVERYTHING, including a couple of years on Farriers Formula, and nothing improved his feet. One of the country's top equine nutritionists, who teaches at Rutgers, boards at my barn, and I asked her about CM. She said it wouldn't hurt to try, so I did. Frankly, it's like Manna from Heaven. With no other management changes, my horse's feet improved so much within a few months that my farrier couldn't believe the difference. He's been on it ever since, and we've been riding regularly. Love the stuff and it's reasonably priced.
    Just curious, how much do you feed per day?

My dad remembers using it as a boy for the show ponies back in the early 60's. We bought some last summer and the smell really took him back. I think it smells great too. Soooo....I got a new horse, a 4 year old 17.1 Saddlebred and he is very tall and very lanky. How much of that would you give him daily for weight gain? I wish that little box still came with it.

Jana
    Cres-Or-Lar Stable

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    And all the foxhunters or folks whose horses needed extra calories in winter just fed plain old corn oil.
    I remember them feeding cracked corn, not oil. Does that make me older than you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    I remember that stuff. I also remember Tiz Wiz. It was like adding rocket fuel to otherwise sedentary and law abiding animals. It has been awhile since I fed either.
    That brings back some fine memories. NorCal in the late-1980s and 1990s.

We fed alfalfa (14-18(!)% protein), and about 1 cup Calf Manna to the working horses. The really hard workers got Tiz Wiz. When my extremely pregnant broodmare got too tired eating enough alfalfa to keep her happy, Tiz Wiz saved her sanity. Our bales of hay were big and beautiful-- no girly East Coast one-handers. Bales weighted maybe 110#.

The hard keepers got Stabilized Rice Bran-- heavy, dense, lots of fat and expensive. The air ferns got Oat Hay first and then Beardless Wheat Hay next when we tried to take out some of the alfalfa. They often went on strike and held out for alfalfa. We also discovered flax seed, but fed it whole.

We thought we were pretty slick feeders.

I'd happily sport a Calf Manna baseball cap now. Maybe it would be a good Guy Magnet for the *right* kind of guy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default How much to feed

Since nobody is weighing in on the "how much to feed question" and there have been several references to the little box that used to come with CM, I'll add that the box was about the size of a juice box, containing approximately the same amount you could fit in if you filled a 12 oz pop can halfway.

Sounds like some have fed much more, but we used it in this quantity once a day on a very thin but large-framed 16h gelding, and it worked wonders.

This thread makes me sad that it seems we can't get CM in Canada.... my little coming 2 y/o would really benefit from the stuff!

*sigh*

I think Purina makes a CM knockoff called "Animax". Is that available in Canada?

It smells the same as CM.

I think Animax is what I'm trying now. It doesn't smell quite as pungent, but looks the same. The horses seem to like it. The recommendation is to give about a pound a day. So, normally feed about 1 to 2 cups a day.

Try calling your feed store. When the Walmart stopped stocking the Calf Manna, the feed store recommended Animax, which was just as cost effective.

I'm proud to say I remember it well - but it was at a time before there were multiple product formulated especially for equines....at an inflated cost.

The anise smell is pretty addictive to most horses, too. My husband ties fishing lures and uses anise to scent them. I put a q-tip dipped in anise into a baggie of horse treats and the horses come running.

hmmmm... think I'll go and buy a bag.

Calf manna works great. I've used it when I had to feed poor quality grass hay to up my protein. Love the stuff!

I feed my gelding a cup daily.

Thanks MizzouMom and lolalola! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm feeding it now to a very senior horse who can not chew hay or grass..otherwise healthy...but he is a bit ribby. At his age, whatever means it takes to get calories into him is worth it to me, especially going into winter!

(this horse is always "meh" about chopped hay or even soaked alfalfa cubes, he does get oil & flax & TC Sr., but I'm hoping the additional Calf Manna just may do the trick for winter time).

So far we have not rocketed to Mars on it. He gets a full cup, twice a day (he's been getting it for a couple of weeks now).

Anyone else use it to keep/put weight on a senior horse??
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

yup in the last 1980's i did feed it to my horses. Good stuff.

Yep, I'm currently using Calf Manna. I feed usually by WEIGHT! One to two pounds once a day for my elderly horses that don't eat well or look ribby, & guess what, they eat it happily and they fill out & look healthy good on it, plus alfalfa 2x daily. For my easy keepers, I feed 2 to 4 oz per day, and for my mini-pony she gets 1 oz daily. I've owned & fed my own horses for over 40 years, & tried most every supplement out there on various horses, & Calf Manna works. imho, J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Yup, it is my go to ingredient when I have an extremely aged senior not doing well on traditional senior type feeding. Really does seem to help the appetite perk up a bit. High quality protein too.

So no I do not use it on everyone here as they simply do not need it. But always have and always will use Calf Manna on the hard keepers and the really old ones.

One cup of Calf Manna equals about 1/3 of a pound. This come directly from my call to Manna Pro.

WalMart sells cheap kitchen scales. I use mine daily.

Frankly, if you are wanting to see a diff in a ribby horse, I would not expect 2/3 of a pound of Calf Manna to do the entire trick.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I have to confess that I just recently quit feeding Calf Manna, in favor of Manna Pro's "Horse Manna".
    More expensive, but has higher levels of copper and zinc.

And yes, they do love the taste of the stuff...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

1 members found this post helpful.