The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best flavor of horse quencher?

Anyone done a taste test and know which flavor is most likely to get a super picky horse to drink?

My horse hates all flavors. To get her to drink I make my own lytes-
    2 Parts non iodised table salt (or fine sea salt)
    1 Part Nu Salt (a salt substitute) Look for a brand with the least ingredients.
    1 Part Dextrose (Ordered from GNC online brand name is NOW) or super fine sugar. If horse has Insulin Resistance use less or no sugar. If horse is needing electros for stress or dehydration sugar can be up to 3 Parts or 50% of total.
    Note: A "Part" is any measure you want - a tsp. a cup , a lb. You decide. Make a small batch to test. 2 Tbs of mixture in 2 gallons warm water. Good Luck.

sorry,wrong formula-it should be-
    2 Parts salt
    1 Part baking soda
    1/4 Part Nu Salt
    1 Part Dextrose

if you're talking about this horse quencher, I don't think its an electrolyte, its just a sweetener/flavor to encourage drinking.

Yes, though my horses aren't what you'd call picky, I make them drink a 5gal bucket every day during freezing weather and after a couple of weeks it does start to get old for both of us. I have found my horses like butterscotch best, followed by peppermint. They aren't fond of apple at all.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Default Horse Quencher

As the owner of Horse Quencher, I just want to add that Horse Quencher is NOT an electrolyte. It is simply a proven blend of proprietary grains and flavorings that when added to water, encourage a horse to drink water. Our most popular flavor is the Apple. For more information, please contact me at nancy@horsequencher.com or visit our website at www.horsequencher.com. Thank you. Nancy

2 members found this post helpful.