The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What sport would you do if not eventing?

I love eventing. XC is like Christmas for me. But I'm scared because of the accidents and because of the technical cross country, and I'm starting to question whether or not it's "ok" to do this to our horses. This is not a mentality I ever expected to have.

But I don't know what else I would even think of doing. What sport would you choose, if not eventing?

Reined cow events.

I'm done with eventing for a while. My heart can't take it any more, after so many accidents (my own, my horses, friends', this year in general) I'm not willing to start from scratch and work my way back up to prelim-no heart for it any more.

So, I'm trading in my breeches for jeans for a while, and we'll see how it goes.

Plus, had I been given a choice when I was really little (when I was started in riding lessons) I would have gone western anyway. I loff the performance western sports-very exciting, challenging, exhilarating and the partnership between work horse and rider.

I could never do straight dressage- I hated, dreaded, dragged my feet for every day of flatwork and lived for my gallop sets, grid work, cross country schools. Same for hunters-my spirit would die real quick in that world. I was always the odd eventer though with the bareback, hackamore, western saddle hacking thoroughbreds. lol

Of course, after my last bad fall, every jump school leaves me crippled for two days (literally I can't walk, my back spasms so badly) so its not so much fun any more either. I think I've been ground into too many ditch and walls to really have that 'give me more!' attitude these days. lol
    Last edited by sirena_chaucer; Nov. 21, 2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add some info
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

I left eventing for show jumping 7 years ago because I felt it would be easier to compete in jumper events while in college. I decided this year that I wanted to get back into eventing but after hearing about this recent accident, I have decided that show jumping is where I will stay...with that being said, I will continue to support eventing and volunteer...I would much rather be out watching a day of cross country than to be watching the same jumper course over and over again...lol
    **There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humour and the other is patience**

www.horseshelpingpeople.org

Dressage. Sometimes I don't feel like a "real" eventer because generally I kind of enjoy dressage. But the challenge of having to be perfect in all three phases, and the partnership you get by going cross country with your horse, and all the many wonderful people in eventing is what I love! My best friends are my horse trial friends...their all more mature, loyal, and there for me than any of the kids at school.

All these awful things happening makes me sad, but my heart is definitely in eventing...even if it is just at the Novice level.
    T3DE Pact

dressage. and maybe... eq.
    i use to hate dressage when i was younger... you know what they say "you hate what you're bad at." but nowadays i really enjoy dressage and now that ive gotten better and understand it, i could imagine doing straight dressage.
    and i have always wanted to do eq. classes. call me crazy and a traitor but i just think it would be a great challenge for me compared to how i ride now... having to get prefect striding and pace, jumping clean 24/7.
    to me, riding is all about challenging yourself and making progress. if i cant do "the ultimate equestrian challenge," then dressage and eq classes would be the best subsitute.

and i love having good turnout and i'd like having to make my horse look good to be subjectively judged more than just for one phase.

but honestly, the people in eventing are just hands down better sportsman than the ones i have encountered in the dressage and the hunter/jumper world. i wouldnt want to leave eventing's welcoming atmosphere for the more cut-throught atmosphere ive experienced in other disciplines.

but honestly, the people in eventing are just hands down better sportsman than the ones i have encountered in the dressage and the hunter/jumper world. i wouldnt want to leave eventing's welcoming atmosphere for the more cut-throught atmosphere ive experienced in other disciplines.
    [/QUOTE]

I completely agree! Eventing people are awesome and very supportive of each other and eventers could care less what kind of saddle/horse/breeches/helmet/etc. someone is riding in...well at least most!
    **There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humour and the other is patience**

www.horseshelpingpeople.org

I left eventing due to the time constraints - 12 or 13 hours to do 3 "classes" at Novice. Now they spread it over 3 days around here! I went to the jumpers for years...more time riding less time waiting. Now we're in "nowwhere Oklahoma" the shows are too far away to be convenient, so I foxhunt - one big CC lasting hours and I also help with assorted cattle drives!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

combined driving!!

well, I'll admit. I'm kind of a closet DQ. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Probably hunters or jumpers, because dressage test after dressage test just ain't my thing ;^). Seriously, probably low level jumpers as I can't afford the competitive hunter, and I'm too chicken for the really big stuff.

If someone took my English saddle away, or I ended up living somewhere like Fort Bliss, TX, where English riding is a rarity, I'd probably take up reining - high-speed dressage. Now that looks like fun!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

What about doing combined training events of Dressage and Showjumping but not the XC? That might be an option. Aren't there horse trials with just the two events?
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

Dressage! I have to admit, it doesnt make me nervous to gallop around a ** track, but to jump anything in the show jumping over 4 foot makes me wanna poop my pants....

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Because my *** mare is out I have taken up Reining, Cutting, and Working Cow Horse. My boyfriend competes in these sports and also does the Ranch Horse Versitility with the AQHA. I am having an absolute blast!!!!!! Reining is really cool! I ride a version of an Advanced packer of the reining/cutting world (his name is TC). Here is a pic of me and Cadillac and me and TC. TC is mine and Cadillac was a borrowed mount of a NCHA champion.

Here is Cadillac:
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/cadillac.jpg

TC:
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...eventer/TC.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...venter/tc2.jpg
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

If I couldn't ride at all it would be martial arts. I love the internal forms and while I hav enot yet competed, I have done displays and played in both hand and weapons.

If I could have horses, I would go back to the jumpers, then dressage and then combined driving.

Reed

Default Oh yeah, multi-sport horses!

Foxhunting!!!

Oh, we already do this. It's the perfect compliment for training to go across the country with a horse. I think of Foxhunting as "Practical Eventing." We cross real rivers and river banks.
    The more we look for that perfect spot, the harder it is to find.

Well I used to show hunter/jumper, and got into low level eventing, but have not done much in years, but my choice would be Combined driving, I did groom for a season at a CDE stable, and got the driving bug....that and competitive driving would be my next endevor that and showing pleasure driving with my new mini....(after I get him broke to drive)
    "A good rider can hear his horse speak to him. A great rider can hear his horse whisper.

Proud member of the Insomnia Clique

I would be a hunter. I know, that's quite the leap, but I reall like the look of the sport (well, 'cept for the politics aspect). I would kill to be able to put in a winning hutner round, that just looks too cool.

Either that or the big jumpers, that just looks like plain fun
    ------------------------------

I don't think I could deal with hunters. Am I still allowed to train with my eventing trianer if I do jumpers? I like my deep seat. If I had to ride with a more huntery position I think I would do dressage...
    Hell hath no fury like a chestnut thoroughbred mare .

http://serendipity.zrkonium.net/

I used to event and when I became horseless and then went to college, I had the choice of the hunt seat team or the dressage tram. I ended up doing dressage and loved it. I HATED it in eventing, but I was taught by an instructor who also hated it, so she was a terrible teacher.

I was able to take lessons from a great instructor and I learned that dressage wasnt miserable and it wasnt just "riding flatwork in a pattern". Now, dressage is what I live for!

Foxhunting. I want to do that anyway, just have not been able to get my act together. Hunter paces and stuff, but I do those already.
    Maybe Competitive Trail Riding too... it sounds like fun.

My competitive aspirations end at Novice (although it's been suggested by others that once I'm doing solid Novice I'll want to try Training... I'm not so sure. I've always been happy with my 3' even when I was doing H/J). I don't find the lower levels to be unsafe. I can't pass judgement on the upper levels, as I haven't been involved in them enough to say and HUGE XC leaves brown marks in my pants... but my gut instinct is that if the rider feels comfortable and that it's a good idea then so be it. People go bungee jumping too, I think their nuts, but it's none of my business

Eq. I'm a perfectionist