The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you haul your horse tacked?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I would not haul tacked. Ever.

12 17.39%
  • Yes, I would haul or have hauled a tacked horse.

15 21.74%
  • I regularly haul tacked and have had no problems.

44 63.77%
  • I personally know of horses injured because of hauling tacked-up.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like to haul tacked up as I am less likely to forget something--like the girth!!

LookingSouth - I think if you have a scrambler or a really narrow trailer or one with things jutting out - that would be a good reason to haul untacked.

I guess it depends on the horse and the trailer. I carry a small flask in my pocket, so I don't worry about crystal breaking.

I've got a nice roomy trailer, and the horse is quiet as a mouse. As the weather gets colder, I'll haul with an anti-sweat sheet on the horse over the saddle.

If you were concerned about the leather on your saddle, you could put a saddle cover on it.

I guess if folks are really worried - they'd be better off hauling untacked and asking for help at the meet if they need it.

Strawberry Roan - the other day I was driving down the road and realized I forgot my BOOTS! I wear my dairy boots in the barn since I have to feed and turn out and I don't want to get my boots muddy so I change into my dress boots just before leaving the barn.

Well - la la la la I just throw the horse on the trailer and drive off la la la la I know I'm forgetting something la la la la oh shit! My boots!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Interesting thread. It would seem much easier to haul tacked but I'd be really concerned about the soft calfskin leather of my saddle getting scraped or scratched in the trailer???
    I often put a cooler on over my saddle if it's cooler weather or just a saddle cover in warm temperatures to help keep hay off saddle and pad and I suspect it will help protect leather as well.

In addition my boarders horse who we take hunting with us occasionally scrambles and I can't imagine having him tacked would be a good idea in a older, kinda narrow straight load
    I had a scrambler too. Monty Roberts told me to switch the side of the trailer I usually trailered her on and it would stop because most horses only scrabble on one side of the trailer. She did it on the left wall (drivers side) so I simply moved her to the right side (passenger side) every time I shipped and she never scrabbled again! I know it sounds a little crazy but it might work for your boarders horse too. Especially if your center divider doesn't go down all the way to the floor because the horse won't have anything to scabble against if your divider is only half way to floor.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post

Strawberry Roan - the other day I was driving down the road and realized I forgot my BOOTS! I wear my dairy boots in the barn since I have to feed and turn out and I don't want to get my boots muddy so I change into my dress boots just before leaving the barn.

Well - la la la la I just throw the horse on the trailer and drive off la la la la I know I'm forgetting something la la la la oh shit! My boots!
    I forgot my boots once, when I lived in McLean and kept the horse near Poolesville MD and hunted w/Bull Run back in VA. Had not even missed them when I arrived at the barn to be told hubby had called, noticed boots, and would meet us at Gilbert's Corner (we were going via White's Ferry that day). What a guy. He used to give my boots a military spit shine too, before the honeymoon wore off... Actually, he quit the boot polishing after less than a season of seeing really dirty/muddy/couldn't tell what color they were boots coming back at the end of the day. And asked himself, why bother to clean and polish, and why am I contributing to this madness? He did not see the military correlation, you know, spit shine on those boots before heading out into the jungle on patrol...

Well, I hope you kept him anyway - what a nice hubby to drive out to Gilbert's Corner to give you your boots!

Mr. JSwan just shakes his head and says we're all plain crazy. But he often makes me a cup of tea when I come home so I'll keep him too.

I wasn't going to post this - but it's just too good.

I know someone who forgot the horse.

No - it wasn't me.

I'm also not going to tell anyone who it was - wild horses couldn't drag it out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post

I arrived at a hunter pace this fall with two left boots . Luckily, I found a pair of half chaps in my dressing room!

Smile

Wen I was a working student in England (many mnay years ago) My employer's husband left without the horse. The trailer was at the kitchen door. I went in one way to see if he was ready for me to load.He went out the other got in the car without looking in the trailer and left!

I almost always haul to hunt meets tacked. Last weekend I was taking a friend to his first paper chase, and we hauled tacked up to that, as well. When we were about halfway there, he suddenly panicked and said, "$hit! I forgot my saddle!"

Imagine his relief when I reminded him that his horse was already wearing it. We were chuckling about that for the rest of the drive.

I also haul with my horse tacked... my trailer is safe, and I do have room to tack him up in the trailer if I needed to... but he does get a little jacked up when we get to the meet... so for my sanity and his, and also my cleanliness I prefer to tack him up at home!

I also bridle him and put the halter over the bridle... no problem as long as he is tied up using both safety ties on the halter while in the trailer.

It seems like if you are worried about the calfskin of your saddle getting scratched you would also be more worried about your horse getting scratched. There shouldn't be any sharp objects in your trailer anyway.

We have one fixture where we all meet near the entrance with trailers and then follow the huntsman to where she wants to start. Once we are there, there is not much time to get ready. Hence everyone hauls tacked to that fixture. I'd say we run 50/50 on tacked/untacked in our hunt. The older people being more likely to haul untacked. Remember in the olden days people did not have dressing rooms in their trailers so it was the best way to transport the tack.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

OK, JS... you might not have to tell 'who'... but you DO have to give some details.

I mean, how does one forget the horse? sylvia

Nothing too weird - someone needed to borrow a horse and the person who was providing the horse forgot to load it - they were running late and just rushed through getting their horse tacked up and on the trailer and zoomed away. They met at the meet and there the rider was - saddle, pad, and bridle in hand..... and the trailer pulls up with only one horse in it.

Oops!

I like to go tacked up if I am riding a really green beastie. When my hubby and I used to hunt hounds we mostly went tacked up - too many things to worry about once we got to the meet. When I hunted in Ireland last winter pretty much all the horses were tacked up before they went in the truck/lorry.. very few people tacking up at the meet.
    We always put a sheet on top of the saddle/tack to (hopefully) protect the tack from scratches or getting hung up on anything in the trailer. Personally I have never had a problem, but there's always a first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    It seems like if you are worried about the calfskin of your saddle getting scratched you would also be more worried about your horse getting scratched. There shouldn't be any sharp objects in your trailer anyway.
    There are no sharp objects in my trailer. However the calfskin is extremely soft and can get rubbed very easily. If my horse rubbed up against the wall of the trailer (which he does do sometimes) I am sure it would scratch the flap saddle.

If I had a stock it would make sense for me to ship tacked. In addition, most of the fixtures we go to are at least 40 minutes away, my horse stands to tack just fine at the meets so to me it is wiser to tack when I arrive.

[QUOTE=MapleMeadows;2819109]

I had a scrambler too. Monty Roberts told me to switch the side of the trailer I usually trailered her on and it would stop because most horses only scrabble on one side of the trailer. She did it on the left wall (drivers side) so I simply moved her to the right side (passenger side) every time I shipped and she never scrabbled again! I know it sounds a little crazy but it might work for your boarders horse too. Especially if your center divider doesn't go down all the way to the floor because the horse won't have anything to scabble against if your divider is only half way to floor.
    Thanks for the info. We actually tried switching sides. He ships on the passenger side now, we tried shipping on the drivers side. He was much worse on the drivers side! He only scrambles if you have to take a sharp turn. He usually is okay as long as we take them veerrryyyyy slow....like 5mph slow (not kidding). Unfortunately he managed to really scratch/rip up his very nice shipping boots (and knicked his leg a bit) on the way home from a fixture 1.5 hours away when we had to a very sharp turn onto a busy main road with on coming traffic. I just can't always safely pull out and turn at 5mph and that's when we have a problem. It's frustrating for sure.

I wonder if you tied with a bungie chord if the need to suddenly rebalance wouldn't be met with resistance at the head?

I had a mare that scrambled big time in a straight load-did best in a slant and ok in a brenderup (tighter quarters). I find scrambling to be much less of an issue in the slants.

I don't haul tacked as my horses do stand well for tacking up. I have a DR so i tack them and then get changed. I had a close friend who got in an accident. The trailer was lying on it's side with 2 horses in it. They got the ramp open and the horses essentially "scooted" out on their sides. I don't think they could do it tacked.

I know the majority of folks in our hunt do travel tacked . It's a nice idea and you arrive ready to roll.

I wanted to hunt this weekend but will be in Maine for a few days to find my son a place to live next year (aka college . To all of you who do, enjoy!!
    Live life to the fullest-ride a standardbred!!!

I always haul tacked. And my trailer is not super-duper wide and horse is a bit of a big boy.

Now, I will say my saddle does have a few marks on the kneeroll but who knows if it is from being rubbed in the trailer or from branches or stickers while hunting!
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki