The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a puller

Hi All

Just wondering what to use on my draft/tb out on trail, hunter paces etc.. when I am in a group and they get ahead he wants to go to- if I ask him to stay back- even just a little, he pulls- like my arm out of the socket pull. In the ring he is fine, and most of the tme on trail- just don't like him when he pulls me. I am riding him in a slow twist snaffle- open to all suggestions, thanks. I am trying to get him to not be so nervous when left, but he really wants to be with them. He is big, with a nice comfy big canter stride, but the tbs we ride with are sl faster, therefore they get ahead and he want to go!

I have the same problem with my guy. We've tried all kinds of snaffles, gags, elevators, and every kind of tough bit imaginable. This past week I put a rubber mullen mouth pelham with 2 reins attached and he has never been better (except when he got pissed that I made him stay at the very back for while). I can keep a nice contact with him and use the curb as a whoa when he needs it. It's much better than looking like I'm mean to my guy by using a harsh bit or needing to use a not so harsh bit and having people frown at how much I'm in his face in order to maintain control. I wanted to slap myself across the face for never trying it before. I've also had success in the past with a double bridle, but I don't have one ATM and didn't want to spend the $ on a new bridle and bits since I'm trying to save up for many other fun things.

It's not a super expensive bit to try if you can't borrow one. I've spent way more on bits that don't work, but this one can be found on Dover for under $30.

Did it look like this?

http://www.bitofbritain.com/PhotoDetails.asp?

That's called a Waterford D Bit

Bit of Britain has them.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

My horse is like that too - and he's the same breeding as yours. I started with a Pelham (with two reins, not a converter).

As he got better I used a Kimberwick - and that is now the primary bit. If you're unsure of the Kimberwick, try buying an Uxeter Kimberwick. It has two slots, one above the other. The slots are not for two sets of reins, but offer different leverage for one rein.

The higher slot acts more like a snaffe, and the lower slot give you more leverage (the bit comes with a curb chain). Or, you can attach the bit the way you would a regular Kimberwick; through the actual ring and not the slots.

gothedistance - I think I know the bit you're talking about but I don't remember the name of it. I think the idea behind it is that the horse can't really grab it like a more traditional bit? Dunno.

I would also cast a vote for a rubber pelham.

And, with 'any' bit, know how to bridge the reins so that the horse is merely pulling against himself.

My other trade secret for pullers is to periodically take them hunting in really hilly terrain. You can basically chuck the reins going uphill, let the geography be the brakes, and I found for my worst puller that he reminded himself of the lesson- save your energy- and didn't pull for weeks after say, a day at Rappahannock or Old Dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post
    I used to use a gag -- it worked great, but then my show hunter friend lent me a snaffle bit comprised of what looks like small jointed dumb-bells that she said was an anti-lean bit -- designed for a horse that tends to bear down on the rider's hands. I do like this anti-lean bit better. However, I've never seen another one like it, so I've no idea where you'd go to find one.
    Yup sounds like a Waterford to me. A very popular bit in H/J land and an effective one might I add. If you have enough brakes in the snaffle but just need something the horse can't grab and run with the waterford is going to be the mildest option. Be sure to get it 1/4 to a 1/2 inch larger than your usual bit size so it drapes on the tongue correctly. Although a slow twist has more stopping power than a waterford IMO the construction of the waterford has alot less to grab.

Default how about a segunda?

any thoughts on this bit?

valleyhanov Guest

I have a big strong warmblood mare that goes fine in a snaffle but when we hunt I use a waterford pelham. She can't lean on it and we also have the extra brakes when we need them. I hunted her in a traditional mullen mouth pelham about 3 times before she figured it out and we were in trouble again. The waterford made a big difference. Pullers are definately no fun. The previous comment was correct though in that you can't give him anything to pull on. If you bridge your reins and deepen your seat he will figure out that it doesn't do any good to pull.

That link didn't work after I posted it.

Here's the link again

http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductD...30515%2D130516
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Beverley - You have obviously NEVER foxhunted an endurance horse! Girl, the second you let up on the reins galloping uphill, you'd find yourself being galloped out of the county, bar none! They just DON'T get tired, no matter what the terrain! After 4 hours hunting yesterday, every horse left in the field was cooked.... except mine who was as fresh as a daisy, bright eyed and chipper.... and ready to roll for a few more hours. I don't know whether to consider myself lucky... or cursed.
    You'll chuckle at this. Yesterday was our Invitational Hunt and a couple veteran 100 mile eudurance riders I know pretty well joined us. I chatted w/ one at a check and she was laughing. All the start, stop, start, stop caused her steady eddie to toss out a buck, something he has never, ever done in his 10 year career. She said "well, this is perfect for him to learn something new!!". And yeah, her gelding wasn't even warmed up when we called it quits.

Beverley - You have obviously NEVER foxhunted an endurance horse! Girl, the second you let up on the reins galloping uphill, you'd find yourself being galloped out of the county, bar none! They just DON'T get tired, no matter what the terrain! After 4 hours hunting yesterday, every horse left in the field was cooked.... except mine who was as fresh as a daisy, bright eyed and chipper.... and ready to roll for a few more hours. I don't know whether to consider myself lucky... or cursed.

Well, duh, I wouldn't hunt one that was THAT fit, I'm not a glutton for punishment!

On the other hand, take that one out with Lynn Lloyd some time, 35 miles up and down 1000 foot ridges over 7 hours might take the edge off!

Quote Originally Posted by valleyhanov View Post
    I have a big strong warmblood mare that goes fine in a snaffle but when we hunt I use a waterford pelham. She can't lean on it and we also have the extra brakes when we need them. I hunted her in a traditional mullen mouth pelham about 3 times before she figured it out and we were in trouble again. The waterford made a big difference. Pullers are definately no fun. The previous comment was correct though in that you can't give him anything to pull on. If you bridge your reins and deepen your seat he will figure out that it doesn't do any good to pull.

I don't think I've ever seen a waterford pelham. Can you post a photo of it? I plan on taking my young horse out roading and maybe cubbing a few times next season - he is built like a mammoth.

I do bridge the reins when necessary, but he still tries. And of course, he catches me off guard and give a good yank now and then. I went out yesterday with one other person (and horse of course), rode him in a metal unbroken pelham. We didn't really need it, with just one other horse but he knew something was going on, like what the heck. Definitely got some respect. I also have a kimberwick and a seguda- it would be nice to ride with one set of reins. Any and All thoughts welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a waterford pelham. Can you post a photo of it? I plan on taking my young horse out roading and maybe cubbing a few times next season - he is built like a mammoth.
    They have it here

www.shop4bits.com

They also have a waterford baucher which could come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by workinggirl View Post
    any thoughts on this bit?
    I personally think the waterford pelham is going to probably give you plenty of brakes w/o the need for a harsh mouth piece. In addition, the horse definitely won't have anything to hang onto.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    They have it here

www.shop4bits.com

They also have a waterford baucher which could come in handy.

WOW. They have 7inch bits!!! Yippeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

(I did say the horse was a mammoth)

Thanks! I'll bookmark this site for future reference.

Default Wowweee is right

thanks for the link for shop4bits- great site.

Default another question

Since my guy is a draft/tb cross- he has a shorter, thicker neck. In the ring he will travel low, hunter like or on the bit for dressage work. But on trail he likes to keep that head up and looking, and I just don't like it up like that. I want to keep him low, which if I ask he will- but he wants to look. Should I let him? When riding him in the pelham tonight, it was like he wouldn't go down into it. With a snaffle I can get him to come down into the bridle, but than he can pull me!!!

Default never used a gag

please explain, if you don't mind and have the time- thanks.

I've seen people use the Mikmar with the rope over the nose and a shank on drafties who are a bit thick in the throatlatch. Seems to be quite a contraption but effective.