The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Patapsco

Riding the Patapsco and pulling into the McKeldin area will give you miles including crossing train tracks...not to mention hearing and seeing some. This park is off 70 (between Carroll and Howard Counties, MD)
    Bank of Dad's idea of contacting LOMH is a good one.
    enjoy!
    <)__~~
    <\ <\,,
    The delicate and exquisite horse is itself a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by KCFoxy View Post
    Riding the Patapsco and pulling into the McKeldin area will give you miles including crossing train tracks...not to mention hearing and seeing some. This park is off 70 (between Carroll and Howard Counties, MD)
    Bank of Dad's idea of contacting LOMH is a good one.
    enjoy!
    How close is the train? On the C&O it's either right next to the trail or nowhere near it. I'd love to find a place to ride where they can hear it, but it's not right next to us, so they can get used to the sounds. I'll have to look at Patapsco -- thanks!

I've also joined the Trot and MarylandTrailRiders groups on Yahoo based on recommendations here, so I'm hoping to collect some good info on the trails.

blazn -- Have to say I would never think Idaho would have the problems of being overrun by subdivisions! I guess it's happening all over.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Hope we can see eachother out on trail!
    Last edited by jazzrider; Nov. 24, 2007 at 09:43 AM.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

It's close....you can cross tracks, ride beside, or just see the tracks. You can hear the trains warning horns before they come.
    Surprisingly,,,it's not been scary to the horses at all.
    <)__~~
    <\ <\,,
    The delicate and exquisite horse is itself a work of art.

Blazn, for Idaho, does not your Back Country Horsemen organization have a web site? We have one in Utah, www.bchu.com that has some trail info on it and we are aiming to build more into it. Luckily for us, one of my fellow chapter members recently wrote a pretty good book covering a variety of Utah trails.

A propos of this thread, I stumbled onto the tail end of 'Best of America by Horseback' on RFD-TV the other night- they were riding at Gettysburg- and their web site, bestofamericabyhorseback.com has a bunch of links to trail resources- seems to be a fairly new effort and hopefully the database will grow.

http://pwoodw6715.com/MDhorsepeople/trailinfo.html

I just found this on one of the lists that I am on. Some good info on places to ride in MD.

I just started a trail sharing forum just because of this problem. I'm in the west and have tons of info to share for my area. I've posted several trails on my forum, and plan to post at least another 20 over the winter. I have the same frustrations described here. Hopefully my site will grow to a place that can be a resource for equestrian trail use:

www.fourcornerstrails.com

Sarah Rose

Default Four Corners

Hi Sarah,

The Four Corners area looks awesome for riding! Too bad I'm in the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffiannyc View Post
    Hi Sarah,

The Four Corners area looks awesome for riding! Too bad I'm in the Northeast.

I'm hoping that my site will eventually have members from all over the country sharing their trail information. I just started it, so it will take awhile to build to that point.

Sarah

Howdy
    The farm where I board backs to Dry Seneca Creek park, which has lots of trails. I dont have a trailer so have not made it to the canal (approx 5 miles via road) but if you are ever up for a 1-2 hr weekend ride let me know (baylady7@aol) well in advance, I can coordinate with the farm owner and we could ride out together. My guy is good, but a follower more than a leader. There are some small stream crossings, but very do-able
    Appy trails
    Kathy & Cadet

Thanks baylady! I just may take you up on that once things settle down for me a bit (I work PT but have a consultancy on top of that right now). Are you near the the new horse park (Woodstock, I think)?

I'm still itching to try Little Bennett -- but need to wait until Feb. when I have this work behind me. It would be fun to organize a COTH ride.

SarahR -- Great site. I hope you can spread the word and folks use it. Maybe you can create regional forums in it?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Thanks baylady. I may take you up on that also. I love finding new places to ride and my husband will be glad that I'm not exploring alone.

I'm definitely up for a COTH ride.

Howdy

Unfortunately we are 5 or so miles (via road) from Woodstock.

Here is the park we are near (we are on Partnership Road)

http://mcparksandplanning.org/parks/...creeksvu2.shtm

also check this site:

http://mcparksandplanning.org/parks/...ges/index.shtm

Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    SarahR -- Great site. I hope you can spread the word and folks use it. Maybe you can create regional forums in it?
    If it takes off I certainly will It will take awhile, but I think eventually it will catch on, at least for this area. The photo album is set up for that, though. It even has an album for international pics.

Sarah