The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doesn't someone here own Native Heir?

His baby sister (half-sister, by More Than Ready) sold at Fasig-Tipton today, one of the more expensive weanlings. $180,000.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Sabovee, I think.

Heres hoping Native Heir's former owner did not purchase that baby...

Default re: Native Heir

I was the groom for another of Native Heir's relatives, a mare called A Lot of Mary, out of the same dam, by Clever Champ. I would dearly love to find her but did see a filly of her's that she had at 10 years old, two years ago, at the Timonium Fasig - Tipton sale. I remember something about Native Heir being neglected but not familiar with the story.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

The story about Native Heir is on Sabovee's website. (I think it's: www.truenorthdressage.com). Native Heir was rescued from New Holland.

As for Sabovee (the horse), his dam is the grand dam of Declan's Moon, and his half brother is a fox hunter here in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Heres hoping Native Heir's former owner did not purchase that baby...

As someone who worked for Native Heir's former owner, I don't think you can put the full blame his connections for where he ended up. He was well cared for during his career and was not just dumped off in the kill pens as the True North Dressage link implies. He changed hands several times before making his way to his lovely home with Sabovee.

Stories like Native Heir's are the reason many rescues do not condone people giving horses away-- no paper trail, people don't necessarily hold up on their commitments to give the horse a home, etc.

Anyway, great news on the filly. I hope we'll be seeing her in the winners circle!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

It would be nice to know who the parties are who sent him to New Holland but I suppose we will never know.

Here's a nice slideshow his current owner made for him: http://www.truenorthdressage.com/native.html
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post

As someone who worked for Native Heir's former owner, I don't think you can put the full blame his connections for where he ended up. He was well cared for during his career and was not just dumped off in the kill pens as the True North Dressage link implies. He changed hands several times before making his way to his lovely home with Sabovee.

Stories like Native Heir's are the reason many rescues do not condone people giving horses away-- no paper trail, people don't necessarily hold up on their commitments to give the horse a home, etc.

Anyway, great news on the filly. I hope we'll be seeing her in the winners circle!

I believe I know who the last owner was.. I'll have to look up his PP's to be sure though... and he does have the reputation for sending horses on a one way trip...

I believe I know who the last owner was.. I'll have to look up his PP's to be sure though... and he does have the reputation for sending horses on a one way trip...
    His last racing owner was Mike Gill. By all means, Mike Gill was not the patron saint of racing. But contrary to popular belief, he was not slaughtering horses by the masses as many imply. I am not aware of ANY that were sent straight to New Holland. And I can attest Native Heir was well cared for while in his ownership.

In the case of Native Heir, he was given to someone who was supposed to provide him a lifetime home. Obviously, the lifetime home did not hold up to their agreement, but I do not know the exact details beyond that. Thankfully the story has a happy ending.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I'm not trying to argue... and yes, that is the owner I was talking about... I know that he did send some... I'm not implying masses... and we were told that by one of his trainers, who happened to be at the same racetrack we were stabled at. I do know that he did not "give" many away (if any)... and that statement came from someone from TRF... they were trying to get a few out of Boston at the time, and MG was less than coopertive.

Seems it would be rather easy to find that person that he gave Native Heir to....I'm sure the last trainer to have him would know...

I do, I do! (Own Native that is!)

Very cool about his little sis!

Texarkana - I never said his former trainer dropped him at New Holland, but the truth of the matter was he was rescued from New Hollands kill pens with a broken sesamoid. I have no idea who brought him there or how he ended up there, but he did!

It's apparent by his nature that he was very well cared for during his race career, he's very calm and trusting of people.

If any of you who worked for his former owners or worked with Native during his race career have stories or photos of him I'd love to hear from you!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I will just say, everyone who ever worked with Native Heir was surprised, mortified, and humiliated that he ended up with Mid Atlantic Horse Rescue from New Holland.

I wish I had pics for you, Sabovee. I think I've told you all my stories in the past. I know he has come up on other threads.

I'm so glad he has a good home now. How's his dressage going?

Was Native Heir purchased by the slaughter buyers at New Holland? And then bought privately by the rescue from the kill buyer? That is what I am assuming, correct me if I'm wrong!

And forgive me, but whoever his owners were, I don't believe it is wrong to sell a horse because you don't want it anymore. Nor do I believe buying a horse is "rescuing" it. Was he neglected and it poor condition? Or was it just the fact that he was sent to New Holland to sell that makes him a rescue? The fact that he was bought from the kill buyer? I just don't know the whole story, and I hate to assume.

Frog - he was purchased from the kill buyer. When he was purchased he was very underweight and lame (from a broken sesamoid).

Tex - His sesamoid injury hasn't recovered well enough for him to be reschooled as a dressage horse - he isn't sore on it but no longer has a good range of motion. He's living life as a pasture puff and light trail horse (he's very sound at the walk and the vet has okayed him to be ridden). Although he hasn't risen to become a dressage propect as I had hoped he still very much has a place in my barn (and my heart).
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Maybe I'm wrong... but I find it unlikley that Mike Gill sold this horse.. I've never known or heard of him selling or giving away anything... and it seems strange that he would have injured himself AFTER he left the racetrack... although I guess anything is possible.

I can tell you a story about a horse that was claimed from Mike... we had an owner drop the slip... we did not want the horse, he did. He was pulled up very soon after leaving the gate that day... we xrayed him and his ankle was a mess. I found a retirement home for him after we did surgery. (He did NOT break down within the two or three strides leaving the gate either).. he was entered that way. Dont even get me started on how he passed the state vet.

There is a picture of a horse that Mike Gill owned on the Now What page of my website. His name was Timely Boy. Why he wasn't put down on the track at Pimlico when he broke his knee in SIX places is beyond me, but he wasn't. Instead he was given by Gill to Horace Parker who threw him in a field to starve for 6 weeks before finally sending him to auction where one of the rescue volunteers bought him for $90. She called the police before he went through the ring and they sent someone to sale who said all TBs are skinny and he is just resting that leg.
    Horace Parker had his license to train horses in MD taken away for many years in regards to this incident. Unfortunately he has it back now. I don't blame Gill for everything that happened to this horse, Horace Parker bears the brunt of the responsibility, but I still can't fathom why he wasn't put down long before they got to that point.

Laurie... not to start a bunch of crap... but I do remember that horse... and glad he was rescued...I'm also doubting that MG "gave the horse" to Parker... more likely he was looking for a quick way to dispose of him, and a holding place untill he could. Or letting someone else do the dirty work.

Now if Horace Parker is who I think he is... (Charles Parker?) he has been back at Bowie training for years... and this horse last ran in 05 for John Robb...something is not adding up here.

Just making sure I have my facts straight!

Acertainsmile--
    I really think bashing Mike Gill is a moot point, as to my knowledge he's not even an active owner anymore. All I will say is I had my doubts when I started working for/with his stables, as I had heard the rumors just as you have. But I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. I guess everyone is going to hate you when you have an unfair advantage over the competition...

Sabovee--
    I'm sorry to hear he's still unsound, but I'm glad you're giving him a great home!

Laurie... not to start a bunch of crap... but I do remember that horse... and glad he was rescued...I'm also doubting that MG "gave the horse" to Parker... more likely he was looking for a quick way to dispose of him, and a holding place untill he could. Or letting someone else do the dirty work.

Now if Horace Parker is who I think he is... (Charles Parker?) he has been back at Bowie training for years... and this horse last ran in 05 for John Robb...something is not adding up here.

Just making sure I have my facts straight!
    No you definitely do not have your facts straight. Timely Boy broke down on 5-24-2002 in race 2 at Pimlico. So as you see several years have passed while Horace Parker as it states on his license, I don't know or care what he calls himself personally did not have a trainers license and then got it back again.
    As far as Mike Gill giving the horse to Parker being correct or incorrect, that is what we were told when we contacted Gill directly. Whether or not the horse was mistreated with his consent is irrelevant in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Acertainsmile--
    I really think bashing Mike Gill is a moot point, as to my knowledge he's not even an active owner anymore. All I will say is I had my doubts when I started working for/with his stables, as I had heard the rumors just as you have. But I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. I guess everyone is going to hate you when you have an unfair advantage over the competition...

Sabovee--
    I'm sorry to hear he's still unsound, but I'm glad you're giving him a great home!
    Mike Gill is still racing horses... I dont know what you did while working there, but I personally know a few of his trainers, and we were told what was going on...also my husband got to see first hand as he was in one of the barns, and at his farm, he was going to take a training position and declined because of some of the practices. I also remember MG when he was a trainer in N.E... I'm opininated for sure, but with good reason.