The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    megrep Guest

Talking Pemberley Stables

I currently am a University of Illinois Vet Med student and keep my horse at Pemberley. It is a relief to have people I know I can trust caring for my animal when I can't be at the barn or go out of town. The entire staff is wonderful and friendly and knowledgable. But most of all, my horse loves it there and he gets the best care I have ever experienced at any boarding facility!! I highly recommend it, and it is only about 15 minutes from the university.

Ebony's Mom Guest

Wow Dellary! Where were you a few years ago?? It's great to see a nice new facility in the C-U area, and WITH turnout!!! I hope that you have great success!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Hey, what'd you mean by 'character building'? As a born and raised Illinoisian, I take offense!
    Sorry to say that living in central Illinois has not been a good character building experience for me. I have had to give up horse ownership for the time being due to the dearth of decent boarding facilities, good veterinarians and farriers. This is a very difficult place to have performance horses and not have your own property.

I wish this person the best of luck, she should prepare herself for a big horse culture shock

Dellary Guest

Default Since 2005

Thanks for the kind words, guys. We moved here in the fall of 2005, so our facility has been up and running for just a couple of years.

Re farriers and veterinarians: I have a lot of respect for Mike Finn and Dr. King (Tolono). Mike shoes all the horses in our barn, and he does terrific work. He does corrective shoeing, and has a great eye for seeing how to improve a horse's way of going. Dr. King is a DVM who (like our vet in California) also does equine chiropractic, acupuncture, and Traditional Chinese Medicine. It's like he has a very large "toolbox" for treating horses. If they need regular veterinary care (including quality dental work), he is very knowledgeable about that. If they need to have body work to "get the kinks out", he does a great job at that. And if there is an herbal solution to a problem they're having, he knows about that, too.

runski Guest

Granted Central Illinois does not have scenery like other areas, but you won't find nicer people anywhere. I grew up here and could not get out of here fast enough after graduating from the U of I. I've lived in Chicago, L.A. and Nashville. All nice places, but I am glad to be back in good ole C-U.

I board my dresssage horse at Pemberley and it is ideal. Wonderful indoor arena. Great turn-out. But most importantly, a fabulous staff! The are kind and attentive to your horse. I travel and I never worry when I am away. I know he will be well cared for while I am gone.

They also bring in Martin and Kate from Starwest for clinics on a regular basis. And Maureen White from Bloomington is coming over in April for a clinic too. I hope your friend will stop by for a visit and we can welcome here to this area. And maybe she can share her knowledge with us!

Quote Originally Posted by GallopGal View Post
    Oh man why is she moving here. I cant wait to get out of IL. But thats just me. A lot of people like it here. (dont ask me why)
    I hear you you're not too far from where I am in Peotone... Finally found an eventing facility (in a sea of Western...) not too far away now I just need to wait for my filly to grow up.

Big part of the reason I'm in VA for college - I can jump again!!
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by runski View Post
    They also bring in Martin and Kate from Starwest for clinics on a regular basis. And Maureen White from Bloomington is coming over in April for a clinic too.
    I love Maureen! She suffered through my OTTB's 4 year old year without giving up on us (I think at one point, she called him the most stubborn horse she'd ever sat on!). She's a fantastic teacher - I loved how she would always explain the "why" behind the "what".

As for Central IL, let me tell you, after a year plus on the East coast, I really appreciate the people, the lack of congestion and bad drivers, and the prices! My board now is over two times what I was paying there. And you can always go up to Chicago for horsey culture...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Quote Originally Posted by Roney View Post
    I love Maureen! She suffered through my OTTB's 4 year old year without giving up on us (I think at one point, she called him the most stubborn horse she'd ever sat on!). She's a fantastic teacher - I loved how she would always explain the "why" behind the "what".

As for Central IL, let me tell you, after a year plus on the East coast, I really appreciate the people, the lack of congestion and bad drivers, and the prices! My board now is over two times what I was paying there. And you can always go up to Chicago for horsey culture...
    I love Maureen as well, finding and knowing her is what has made the move here bearable.

I would not mive back to where you are but I would leave here in a nono second if I could!

khkulas Guest

Thanks for the info. about Maureen. I am looking forward to her clinic at Pemberley. My 3yr old TB has been at Pemberley for a year and a half and I feel very fortunate to have found the facility. The staff are very caring and responsible and Denise and Rob have helped me and my horse with training (for my horse and for me), referrals for vet and farrier services, riding lessons and many other horse related things. They both genuinely love and understand horses in a way I think is rare.

EqGirl Guest

Default Champaign Area

I am a student at the University of Illinois, and I board my horse at Pemberley. My horse has a blast all day with his buds in the big pasture turn outs, and this makes me feel less guilty if I don't make it out every day due to a tough class schedule. The staff is very attentive and compassionate. I can always trust that my horse is being well cared for while I am away on breaks. This past summer I was gone for an internship, and when I came back he was looking happy and healthy. I am very happy with the facilities as well as the staff.