The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you haul your horse tacked?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I would not haul tacked. Ever.

12 17.39%
  • Yes, I would haul or have hauled a tacked horse.

15 21.74%
  • I regularly haul tacked and have had no problems.

44 63.77%
  • I personally know of horses injured because of hauling tacked-up.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thought I'd ask the Foxhunters.... hauling tacked?

Would you haul your horse tacked? sylvia

Always do. Always have. Always will. (unless its too far, etc.)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

We've always hauled tacked. We haven't on very few occasions where we were hunting far away, but we have a large 4 horse head-to-head that we tack in. At hunt meets, I've seen far too many people take their horses off the trailer (trailers not big enough to tack in) and then have problems tacking (horse is rank, horse gets anxious, etc), and have seen many a horse get loose!

Our horses trailer in saddle, breastplate, boots (if needed) and we put on bridles once we get to the meet and before we unload. Makes for a much more pleasant arrival at the meet.

And we've never had a problem doing this.

Often, I will also trailer to shows tacked. Especially for young horses that are going to their first shows.
    Last edited by SteeleRdr; Nov. 20, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

I will not tack up at a meet. There is just too much going on and my hunters all know what is up as soon as they hear the hounds there is no way they would stand to get tacked. I just get them all set up at home but I put the bridle on in the trailer before the meet.

I also will not take the bridle off till the horse in on the trailer and the back is done up. I had someone take all the tack off my pony hounds were still running and she got away. She was never fully sound after that.
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

It all depends. If my tack is still in the trailer on a hunting day then I tack up at the fixture. If it is my barn on a day I'm hunting I haul tacked up.

I haul two horses to most hunts. One goes tacked the other untacked. Sometimes both tacked. The lady that I haul is 82 yrs young so gets to the barn very early to get her horse tacked. He's usually tacked before I get there to hitch the trailer. I go untacked to most fixtures, her horse is tacked. That way she doesn't feel rushed when she gets there.

Mine's a slant load, never had a problem.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Been hauling tacked up since 1971, everything from Imperatore Vans to my two horse straight load bumper pull. So far, so good! Have hauled as far as three hours tacked, for a joint meet.

As others have said, we always haul tacked up. Bridles get put on when we get there.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

We always tack our horses in the piece and quiet of our home aisle. We ship them tacked up to two hours and put bridles on in the trailer before unloading. It saves us much anxiety and allows us extra time for our staff meeting with the huntsman. Staff meetings are 1/2 hour prior to hunt time and we drive a long way to many of our fixtures. When the meeting lets out we can just unload and warm up. I have watched to many new members or quests struggle to tack up at the meet. It's never been an issue to trailer our horses tacked in our two horse straight load. My husband's horse is a big boy but has never so much as caught a stirrup loading/unloading or hauling. Our trailer is extra high and wide and we wrap our stirrups prior to loading.

I always haul tacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    It all depends. If my tack is still in the trailer on a hunting day then I tack up at the fixture. If it is my barn on a day I'm hunting I haul tacked up.
    Are you saying that you don't religiously and methodically clean all your tack after hunting - and that's why it's still in the trailer?

She probably is one of those perfect types that cleans their tack as soon as they take it off the horse. Of course, I on the other hand, am quickly scrubbing it down about 10pm the night before a hunt. I just can't seem to learn.
    Back to the original topic, I used to ship tacked up but now my 2 horses are very quiet and easy to deal with at the meet so I just wait until I get there. I took one of our horses once for his first hunt and made the mistake of not tacking up at home. I barely could get the saddle on him as he was dancing around on the end of the lead rope tied to the trailer. Then when I went to put the bridle on, he tried to take off and I felt like I was bulldogging a steer. I had his head cocked to the side with my finger in his mouth trying to get the bit in and the headstall over his poll. He drug me about 50-60 feet before I got him under control. I learned my lesson. I've never taken him back to the hunt field as he was a total shite the whole time and if I take another greenie, he will arrive tacked up and the bridle will go on in the trailer.

To hunt I haul at least 1 hour 50 minutes with horses untacked. Have done so for 20 years.

Horses usually come straight from the field to a poorly lighted trailer. I brush, comb, and spot bath; but I find it more effective to brush last of crud off
    horses in daylight, early at the meet, rather than before dawn at home where crud hides in shadow.

Never had any problem with my horses' behavior tacking up at the meet. I have seen as many tacked loose horses as untacked. And, yes, I have had loose horse... mare would break a halter, seemingly possessed to prove a point, and then just stand there as if to say "See! I'm in control!" She would do this tacked up or naked. I now tie using a loop of bailing twine snugged on to the lead; just as effective but no longer have halters broken.

I haul untacked. I tack up in the trailer at the meet, so there's no problem with horse getting away while tacking.

Lots of people I know haul the horses tacked up. I don't think I know of any problems that have occurred because of it. But it just seems like an unnecessary risk of hurting horse or tack.

I don't see how hauling the horses tacked saves any time. You're just shifting when/where you spend that time. While you're tacking up at home, I'm already loaded and on the road and at the meet ahead of you. Then as I finish tacking up at the meet and get ready to unload, you pull in with your already-tacked horses and unload and we mount up at the same time.

I have never really seen the point. I don't think it is a significant danger to the horse, but I don't see "I have personally seen a saddle scraped or a flask broken when hauling tacked" as an option in the poll.

It does save time if you tack up at home if it is because your horse is so hopped up at the meet he can't stand still or stand tied! For years my horse just would not be tacked up at the meets. He's fine now, but it never seemed to bother him back in the day when I hauled him already tacked up.

Tacking up at home, also saves you from getting dirty. I like to be dressed and ready when I get to the meet because tying stocks at the meet is just a bit harder with a small truck mirror. Much prefer the big mirror at home. Plus I like to keep everything else clean.

And regarding flasks being broken...well if it does get broken, that't the person's fault for having it on the horse for trailering. If the gentlemen are carrying a flask, or I have mine in my sandwich case, they DO NOT go in cases until we get to the meet and are about to tack up.

All of our horses are extremely well behaved, and would surely be able to tack at the meet's, but why get there and have to worry about making sure you have all your tack and worry about tyring to tack. I've seen a few people who didn't tack, get to a fixture and didn't have a brestplate or girth...or even worse I know someone who forgot their saddle thinking it was still in the trailer from the previous hunt.

I understand the arguments against hauling tacked, but there are also very good reasons for hauling tacked.

I prefer to ship tacked because then I have a fighting chance of staying clean for five minutes. When I get into my truck, I am dressed and ready to go.

I really like to know that I have everything, too. The meet is not the place to discover that you left something important on the way to the trailer.

If the fixture is more than 60 minutes away, I usually wait and tack up there. If I've got two horses in the trailer, I only ship tacked up for 30 minutes or less.

So far -- knock on wood -- I've had no problems. But my horse is an easy shipper. Yes, I can tack him up at the meet but there's always a flurry of activity and it just keeps everything calmer if I can pull him off the trailer more or less ready to go.

Interesting thread. It would seem much easier to haul tacked but I'd be really concerned about the soft calfskin leather of my saddle getting scraped or scratched in the trailer???

In addition my boarders horse who we take hunting with us occasionally scrambles and I can't imagine having him tacked would be a good idea in a older, kinda narrow straight load

. My friend always hauls tacked but I've never been inclined to do so with my trailer. Usually my horse is very well behaved since we truck out very often. As long as I have hay in front of his face he is very happy I tend to think he would not runaway or attempt to escape cause he tends to be more concerned about where I am or his pasture buddy than other horses he doesn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I have never really seen the point. I don't think it is a significant danger to the horse, but I don't see "I have personally seen a saddle scraped or a flask broken when hauling tacked" as an option in the poll.
    I have my flask and wire cutter cases set up so they snap on and off. So they go one at the meet right before I jump on.
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys