The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Full seats

Is it appropriate to wear full seat breeches out hunting? My regular knee patch are cheapo and cut badly, so I was planning to wear my much nicer FS if it was OK.

I do not think it's proper attire... that is if I remember correctly, and it's quite possible that I dont... LOL.

I wear mine out hunting all the time. Some of mine are true full seats and some are false full seats. No one has ever said a thing to me other then that I looked good!
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

I don't think it is proper but it all depends on how strict/forgiving your hunt is. I would suggest calling the secretary and asking. Better safe than sorry!

Technically it's not proper but it doesn't seem to be a problem with our hunt. Our huntsman wears full seats.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Talking Who cares!!

Wear 'em!!! First somebody's gotta SEE them first! Then somebody's gotta care enough to report you!! Then somebodys MFH has to care enough to talk to you about them (and I doubt seriously most mfh's would bother as they have other more important things to worry about!) and then you gotta care enough to offer to take them off right then & there and hunt naked!!! And the truth is most somebodys are envious that you have a pair, can wear them and look good and have that extra grip going on to help stay put. That makes somebody envious!

Just make sure they are the right color and aren't garish. You'll blend right in and if somebody doesn't notice them then somebody can't report you! The leather & the material color should match.

Wateryglen says; Never let them see you sweat!! Smile and happy hunting!!!

I wear them most hunts and no one has ever said anything to me. Heck, if I hunt in my Wintec Pro XC with the Equisuede seat and the full seat breeches, I'm essentially velcroed to the saddle .

Some hunts are stricter than others, but if the breeches are the right color and you are well turned out, I suspect you'll be fine.

I wear them when hunting sidesaddle, but you can't see them, so they don't count.

However, my friend wears them all the time, and has never had a problem. So yes, technically not proper, but if the color of the suede/doeskin is the same as the rest of the britches, blends in, and it makes you more secure, usually not a big deal. And if they fit correctly, someone shouldn't be able to notice them unless they are right behind you over a fence, and if they're looking at your butt, they get what they deserve, right?
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Wear 'em!!! First somebody's gotta SEE them first! Then somebody's gotta care enough to report you!! Then somebodys MFH has to care enough to talk to you about them (and I doubt seriously most mfh's would bother as they have other more important things to worry about!) and then you gotta care enough to offer to take them off right then & there and hunt naked!!! And the truth is most somebodys are envious that you have a pair, can wear them and look good and have that extra grip going on to help stay put. That makes somebody envious!

Just make sure they are the right color and aren't garish. You'll blend right in and if somebody doesn't notice them then somebody can't report you! The leather & the material color should match.

Wateryglen says; Never let them see you sweat!! Smile and happy hunting!!!

So the Linda Parelli black and purple are out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My hunt specifically says not to wear them. This kind of bums me out because I do think they add a little extra grip and when you have on a coat, who's going to know.

Well damn...I guess I've been sinning for years!!! On what sacred paper does it say they are forbidden?? I'm curious now!! One of our joint masters wives wears thigh high, black suede "Three Muskateers" boots...now who in OUR hunt would worry about full seat britches??
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Well damn...I guess I've been sinning for years!!! On what sacred paper does it say they are forbidden?? I'm curious now!! One of our joint masters wives wears thigh high, black suede "Three Muskateers" boots...now who in OUR hunt would worry about full seat britches??

No kidding on the thigh high boots? That picture would be worth a thousand words...

Oh, you have NO idea!!! She rides a black/white Tenn. Walker...in a western saddle and a boufant hairdo sticking out from under her hunt cap. The bun is contained in a net, but the sides poof out like a clown!! ....OMG...Did I really say that?? But we have a GREATTTTT Hunt!!!...and terrific people ... some wearing full seat britches!!!
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Gosh, I've been wearing them because I like the extra grip on a brisk morning. I see other members wearing them too so evidently it is a "hunt by hunt" protocol.

Talking stickiness=good!!

I GOTTA go hunt in Oklahoma.......for sure........ Thems sounds like my peoples!!!

Wateryglen,

Stop by Missouri on your way. We'll show you a good time too.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Wateryglen...Ya'll come on down. I've been hunting for over 45 years and this is the best place ever!!! Sorry to admit, that while I appreciate hound work, I'm one of the unmentionables who "hunts to ride"!! Don't tell anyone! I've hunted in a lot of states and areas, but the folks out here in NE Ok./Ks. are unbelieveable. Get this...two weeks ago my daughter, a student and I were going to try to hunt at the tag end of cubbing on a Thursday with the hope of a small field. We were going to try out hunting for my student and her "never hunted before" show horse. I called the master to check with him about details for bringing a new Jr, etc. He was going to be away, but said to come on because his huntsman was still taking the hounds out. Great, small field, I'm thinking. Well, Wednesday the MFH calls me to apologize - the whips all decided to leave town that day and that left NO whips to help out. He said the same would be true for Sunday's hunt, but PLEASE.....bring the girl to opening hunt next weekend. My point is...NEVER in my whole life has a MFH personally called to apolgogize for cancelling the hunt. Saved us an 80 mile drive, too! At the hunt breakfast the MFH put an arm around my student and welcomed her aboard! These are REAL people!