The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Talking My blissfully ignorant non-horsey friend dated future ULR

I couldn't help but LOL over this one... hubby and I recently moved to Orange County, California and have finally started to make friends. Hubby went mountain-biking with a group of guys and then everyone came back to our house for beers and BBQ. We were chatting about all kinds of stuff and my interest in horses comes up, and I try to explain what eventing is.

One guy pipes up "I used to date a girl in high school who was REALLY into jumping and stuff- sounds like it might have been the same sport. In fact I think she might have even gone to the Olympics. She's down in Florida now where this family pays her to be their private trainer".

Me: "Do you remember her name?"

New Friend: "Of course, we stayed in touch for a while and she was a really nice girl.... Jill Hennenberg".

Me: "You dated JILL HENNENBERG!?!"

NF: "Yeah, you've heard of her?"

Me:

Wow, that's so cool!!

THAT is probably the ONLY time that story will actually ever be true. You know how everyone got bucked off as a kid or knows someone who was going to the Olympics... LOL

VERY COOL story though.

I have a similar story---

My sister and her family used to live in Leesburg (Va) and she mentioned to me one day that some guy who lives across the street from her had a horse trailer stop in front of the house for a bit.
    Next time I was over at her place, I saw him walk out and it was STEPHEN BRADLEY!!!

I told my sister and she said, "Who?"

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post

LOL Invested! That was the funniest part to me too- he was just so unaware/ unimpressed that this girl he used to date had made such a "name" for herself. And that he was so unaware that this girl who was "really into jumping and stuff" that might have been doing the same sport I'd just spent 10 minutes explaining, had made it to the Olympics in said sport!

One of my best friends grew up in Unionville and vaguely remembers a kid named "Buck Davidson". Again, singularly unimpressed!

I just laugh. I guess it would be like me standing in line behind a famous basketball player and having no idea. And in fact I once met the kicker of the Philly Eagles, and of course had no idea. It was at a party, and making small talk I asked him "So, what do you do for a living?"

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    I guess it would be like me standing in line behind a famous basketball player and having no idea. And in fact I once met the kicker of the Philly Eagles, and of course had no idea. It was at a party, and making small talk I asked him "So, what do you do for a living?"
    Heh--we could be friends.

I did the same thing a few months ago--met some guys at a club--turns out they play for the Washington Capitals. Ok. Though one of my friends who is totally into hockey and was not out with us that night was appalled that when the song came on that I had requested, my friends and I said, "Nice to meet you!" and ran off to the dance floor. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    About ten years ago my husband was a partner in a flight school. Mr. Subk did the books, but it was run on a day to day basis by another guy. One day my husband said some country music guy was taking flying lessons from them but he couldn't remember his name. Turns out it was Alan Jackson.

Who is Alan Jackson?
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
    Who is Alan Jackson?
    He's a long tall drink of water in a nice pair of cowboy jeans. You probably wouldn't notice his eyes!

Mary doesn't listen to country music, now does she.

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=Ml5...usic&ct=result

I've one of his dang songs stuck in my head, argh!

[QUOTE=Fence2Fence;2799782]Mary doesn't listen to country music, now does she.

I think perhaps her "name" says it all.....mary in "AREA 1"...last time I checked country music was not ever so popular in the North East.
    Don't worry Mary...I am right there with you babe!!

OOH, country music! I have a rule "No country music" in my barn. All that whining makes the horses colic!

oh, BTW, I wouldn't be all the impressed with Jil Henneberg either. I was at the water when she defied the Capt's orders and tried to be a hero, to our team's deteriment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
    OOH, country music! I have a rule "No country music" in my barn. All that whining makes the horses colic!

YEE HAAAAAA!!!!
    Same in my barn...

NO wrist cutting music...I like to foster a positive atmosphere.

And I am constantly battling the big hair thing with my ISH.

Gee what else could you ask for in a thread: clueless people meeting our stars AND country music bashing.

Here's mine: I was so excited that Bruce Davidson was coming to one of the horse trials that I run, that I actually told my non-horsey family. I thought maybe my sports-minded brother would at least say - hmm, I heard that name before. But all I got was blank stares. Now I told my mom that I was getting my ESDCTA bronze medal for dressage(which means I made it all the way to Training 4, gee wow- and me a mere babe of 43) and she is all excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    Gee what else could you ask for in a thread: clueless people meeting our stars AND country music bashing.

Here's mine: I was so excited that Bruce Davidson was coming to one of the horse trials that I run, that I actually told my non-horsey family. I thought maybe my sports-minded brother would at least say - hmm, I heard that name before. But all I got was blank stares. Now I told my mom that I was getting my ESDCTA bronze medal for dressage(which means I made it all the way to Training 4, gee wow- and me a mere babe of 43) and she is all excited.

Hey I am not bashing country music...on the contrary...I mean I HAVE listened to Oliva Newton John before!!!...See I am not all that bad.

With out naming names, I went with a dressage trainer friend of mine when he was teaching a clinic at a VERY nice facility in Northern Cal. The owner, who was riding in the clinic as well as hosting it invited me to stay the weekend with my trainer/friend at her house. Part of the clinic was a rather spiffing dinner party. We arrived downstairs a bit late (from getting cleaned up) and as I scanned the room, everyone was dressed nicely except this one very scruffy man. I asked the hostess who the man in the corner was and before she could answer I also said he looks like he could use a hot bath and a wire brush...it was then she laughed and told me it was her husband...who is a band member in The Grateful Dead.

I went for a walk in my mother's new neighborhood and saw a little name plate sign in a front yard that said "David Stackhouse". I asked her if it was THE David Stackhouse and she had no idea so I Googled to find out it was, indeed, the saddle maker. She was not impressed but I told her if he ever had a garage sale to be sure to pick me up a saddle or two.

I recently went to a high school reunion with my non-horsey hubby. It was at a very small private school in an equally small Vermont town. I read the list of attendees and saw the name Denny Emerson. I looked at my husband with excitement. "Did you go to school with "the" Denny Emerson?". Blank stare. Turns out they weren't in the same class, but Denny did receive an award earlier in the day. We missed it.

Poor hubby couldn't understand why his eventing daughter became so impressed with his high school.

About 9 years ago, a good friend was doing her first advanced ht. Her mom was with her, and it was getting close to do her dressage test. Her mom said to her "your next after that old man." To my friends horror, she had to tell her mom to please not talk so loud. That old man was Michael Plumb.