The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Full chaps vs Half chaps.

I'm sure a lot of you guys are a lot younger than my 47 yrs.. In my not so younger years, I could stay on anything, (well, mostly anything).

Now that I'm older I just don't have the *grippy* legs anymore.
    We were schooling in the ring today and I almost fell off twice!

My pony is usually very good, but any length of time off and she needs to be re-schooled for ring work.

I like chaps, but they are a pain in the arse to put on and move around in until you're mounted.
    Never owned a pair of half chaps...So I was wondering what do you guys feel gives you the most security in the saddle? I ride Western if that makes any difference.

Checked Ebay and they have a ton of half chaps for sale.

Opinions? Thanks

Default chaps

I ride english so that may make a differance.. I am not so young eather 45 So I like the grip of full chaps. Also they are warmer this time of the year.
    In the summer months I ride in half chaps. But I get rubs just above where they end. (My knee) Back when I was young I never got rubs. Getting old is tough....Things don't stay still any more.

Default Apps

I just checked out your horse. I just started riding a App. We got him at the auction so we do not know much about him....
    What do you like to do ???
    I just started 30 mile endurance rides this year, but I would like to take the Appy and do a ride and tie in the spring. Just starting slow and see what we can do.

For western I would consider chinks http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...42022&ss=chink Not as long as chaps so easier to walk around in. Will add some grip to your thighs, where you need it in a western saddle. Half chaps that you use when riding englich make sense because you are riding with little english stirrups leathers, but when you have big western fenders the half chap won't really be doing much. When english people want more grip on their thight they get full seat breeches

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    For western I would consider chinks http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...42022&ss=chink Not as long as chaps so easier to walk around in. Will add some grip to your thighs, where you need it in a western saddle. Half chaps that you use when riding englich make sense because you are riding with little english stirrups leathers, but when you have big western fenders the half chap won't really be doing much. When english people want more grip on their thight they get full seat breeches
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad I didn't order the 1/2. I never even thought about the Chinks. Looking at the picture, they do look a lot easier to move around with.

Going to the Equine Affaire in MA tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a vendor who sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by beth heffelfinger View Post
    I just checked out your horse. I just started riding a App. We got him at the auction so we do not know much about him....
    What do you like to do ???
    I just started 30 mile endurance rides this year, but I would like to take the Appy and do a ride and tie in the spring. Just starting slow and see what we can do.
    She is the shorter verison of an Appy... A POA (Pony of the Americas)
    Do you have any pictures of your guy? I am partial to spots.
    I had a nice Appy before I bought her.

I usually trail ride, but usually on State property of the barn grounds. I've never Endurance rode with her. Hard to do when you don't have a trailer. So our rides are maybe 1-2 hours. I try to do a little Western Pleasure with her when we are not trail riding.

I don't have full chaps, only because they don't come in my size. And I DEFINITELY can't afford custom shaps.

I have half chaps, that I did use with my western saddle as well as my english. I didn't use it much for extra grip though, more for keeping my jeans from bunching and rubbing and irritating my legs.

So yeah, I think I'd suggest one of the things below to help the 'stick' factor:

1. Full chaps, or chinks like others have mentioned. I highly suggest suede ones because the smooth leather ones don't seem to grip enough, at least for my tastes they don't.

2. Full seat breeches, they have endurancey tight-like ones that don't look bad with western gear.

3. A suede seat cover for your saddle, like so: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUEDE-BUM-SAVER-...QQcmdZViewItem

4. A fleece seat cover may help as well, or one of these gel neoprene ones: http://www.horse.com/products/sku-WLW13.html

Good luck!

I will second the full seat breeches. But i also LOVE my full chaps and i do ride english. I dont know what the seat of your saddle is made of (leather vs. suede) but you can buy "sit tight" which is a substance that will make the leather tacky and help keep you in the saddle. I wouldn't use this on suede, but leather i would.

Good luck! And remember even the pro's fall of...
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Quote Originally Posted by SparklePlenty View Post

Good luck! And remember even the pro's fall of...
    Yeah, but it hurts so much more now... And at least they are getting paid..lol

The farther north I get, the better I like it ...

Default Another 40+ rider

I've always worn chaps, English or Western. Usually full chaps, suede, and love them. Good for brush bashing plus saddle sticking They help cut the wind, too.

When it's hot, though, half chaps are very nice. They don't cost nearly as much, either. I have never worn the half chaps with a western saddle, for some reason the full chaps come out even if it's hot, but I don't see why they wouldn't help.

I'll second (or third, actually) full seat breeches even if you ride western. They are comfy and come in all kinds of neato colors. Even plaid these days, although my 40+ year old self just quite can't go there ...

Chaps do help, but whoever said even the pros fall off is very right!
    When you've been falling/bailing off horses for 40 years, you're really good at it!

(Why does everybody laugh when I say that?)

There's a company called Smooth Stride that makes awesome riding pants. I have 4 pair! I got tired of breeches because I rarely wear my tall boots, usually have my paddock boots on.

I have suede full chaps and love them. They've taken my shape and are comfy to move around in. I ride english and use them for trail riding for two reasons. One is to keep my pants from being ripped up on brambles and the other is to keep the bugs from biting. In the ring, I use them when starting/retraining horses. I like riding in yoga pants so if I need a little more sticky, then the full chaps are great.

I ride both English and Western, and love, love, love riding in full seat breeches for the security it gives me. But it just doesn't feel right riding in breeches in a western saddle. Chaps really are great, but a pain in the neck too.

I was over at Dover last week, looking for Nikwax to re-waterproof a few of my blankets, and in the same aisle was some sort of spray that you can put on your saddle seat (or pants? I can't remember) that stops the slip. I had never seen it before -- there were actually one or two products there that did the same thing. Both claimed they wouldn't damage your cloths or saddle.

Just a thought...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Default Chinks

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    ...Never owned a pair of half chaps...So I was wondering what do you guys feel gives you the most security in the saddle? I ride Western if that makes any difference....Opinions? Thanks
    By "half" chaps do you mean chinks? These are the shorter chaps with full leg (not shotguns which fit close all around the leg). If this is what you mean and you are ever searching for them, chinks is the proper name for them.
    Lorry Wagner
    SIERRA DAWN ARABIANS
    Home of Sierra Dunes Breeding
    lorry@ridgenet.net
    http://www.sdarabians.com

Quote Originally Posted by lorry View Post
    By "half" chaps do you mean chinks? These are the shorter chaps with full leg (not shotguns which fit close all around the leg). If this is what you mean and you are ever searching for them, chinks is the proper name for them.
    No, she means 'half chaps', which is the proper name for these:

http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1/products/802-m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lorry View Post
    Chinks are short western chaps. Half chaps cover the ankle to the knee. Sort of opposite of chinks, that cover the waist to the knees.

I have 2 sets of half chaps, and a set of full chaps. I love them both, but rarely wear them. Most of the time I ride in loose fitting athletic pants, anklet socks and Ariat Terrains. I absolutely hate tight stuff on my legs, especially when its hot out.

Wink Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    No, she means 'half chaps', which is the proper name for these:

http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1/products/802-m.jpg

Aha! I was thinking "western," sorry! Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    Lorry Wagner
    SIERRA DAWN ARABIANS
    lorry@ridgenet.net

Smile Great Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Chinks are short western chaps. Half chaps cover the ankle to the knee. Sort of opposite of chinks, that cover the waist to the knees.

I have 2 sets of half chaps, and a set of full chaps. I love them both, but rarely wear them. Most of the time I ride in loose fitting athletic pants, anklet socks and Ariat Terrains. I absolutely hate tight stuff on my legs, especially when its hot out.
    Thanks, again. Great explanation
    Lorry Wagner
    SIERRA DAWN ARABIANS
    lorry@ridgenet.net

Default Another vote for full seats

I'm found riding in full seats made me feel velcroed to the saddle! I love them and if I could afford them I'd buy these...
    http://aretesaddlery.com/tack/index....a6aba5df5566c6

I also second the Smooth Stride and some of their stuff is on sale now.
    http://http://www.smoothstride.com/parade_pants.php

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    There's a company called Smooth Stride that makes awesome riding pants. I have 4 pair! I got tired of breeches because I rarely wear my tall boots, usually have my paddock boots on.
    Just got around to googling Smooth Stride. They look great! I love that you can get them in boot cut. What model do you recommend? And how do the sizes run (big or small, or true)? For others, here's the link to their "Trailrider" breeches:

http://www.smoothstride.com/trail_rider_ultra.php
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.