Hey, hey... lets not be TOO hard on starving college students now. It wasn't too long ago that I left the ranks...
Now I'm just a starving, overworker, underpaid, one of a million 23 year old holding a framed piece of paper saying I owe somone alot of money for a bachelors degree which has about the same clout as a high school diploma at this point.
I've put in my input to my friend and now I'm just amusing myself with the responses y'all are giving me/us.
Oddly, I had the very same request a few years ago from a buyer who lived out of the USA. Buyer had one video of my horse (who was in the 10-15K range) and they loved her. Requested a second video with a lot of very precise shots they wanted. OK- I jumped the hoop as they told me they would buy her from video if they got everything they wanted from it.
They leave me with a "we like her, and so does my trainer". Months go by- no word. I write them off and never think twice about it. Winter rolls around and suddenly they are going to be in the USA horse shopping and would like to see her. I tell them "great, just keep me updated on your plans and we will set a day etc". No word again. I write them off AGAIN. Then, out of the blue, I get a phone call from them and they would like to have ME, yes ME ship the horse down to FL for them to try. I tell them, no, I do not feel comfortable with that arrangement. They let it go for a few days....then I get emails and another phone call telling me it would "be in my best interest" to ship the horse down there so kid can show her with their "BNT". They claimed if their kid did not match well, then the "BNT" had scads of other kids the horse would be great for.
Again- I say no, I am not willing to ship horse anywhere. She was to remain in my care and would not be leaving until the day a bill of sale was signed and money had cleared my acct.
The last comment I got from them is that "they could not believe I'd waste the opportunity".
Amazing....you realize Ops friend is going to do it anyway, don't y'all?
That has been what happened the last couple of times everybody agreed.
Once it was on our infamous Musical Jumper thread...and I hope this horse ends up better then that one did.
Chances that this will work out and OPs friend will not end up poorer then she is now are about 60/40 against.
And I'll take 6 to 1 (and spot you 3 points) poster does not get paid for a horse stuck out of state she cannot recover without a fight and spending another $500 in gas and a couple hundred in hotel rooms, food, vet paperwork and possibly an unknown amount in legal fees.
Too early for mojitos, I'll check in later on.
When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.
In an effort to be helpful to the OP's friend, I'll say this:
I've seen and done something similar many times, though over shorter distances. Most times it worked out fine, a few times it went quite badly. In retrospect, the key factors when things went wrong involved dealing with people I didn't know well, and being too trusting for too long. A time limit is a very good thing.
Also, the prospective buyer should pay the shipping and all related expenses (hotel, insurance, horse's health certificate for Florida trip, etc.), whether they buy the horse or not. This includes the shipping home if he goes back. It would be wise to get this money up front, before you even hitch up the trailer.
Personally, I'd be inclined to tell them the long trip would be too much wear and tear on the horse, and it would be cheaper for them to just buy a plane ticket to come try him. I'd also quote them a whopping shipping price, to illustrate this point. You have to figure your time is worth something, too. It's not just the price of gas, it's several days out of your life.
The fact that some yahoo thinks it's reasonable to even ask to have a horse shipped to her, especially that far, is hilarious to me. I love the, "If your horse doesn't sell right away, I'll make sure it gets shown and ridden." thing. What a crock. Uh-huh, the horse'll get ridden and shown all right - probably 5 jumping lessons a week (can we say fancy new school horse?), and showing on the weekends - which includes carting a short stirrup kid around, playing in the childrens hunter ring, doing some adult eq and medals, some junior eq and medals, oh and some jumper classes as well. The trainer gets to rake in some serious moolah from everybody showing her fancy new school horse. And then, miraculously, at the end of the show season, gasp! she can't sell the horse! So then the owner gets to welcome her newly overworked, overjumped, overshown, overused horse back.
I know that scenario has already been played out on this thread, but I figured it's worth reiterating.
I really hope your friend does not do this. Surely he/she must know in the pit of their stomach that this is a very bad idea. Insurance policy or not, what if the horse gets ruined - either physically (and insurance policy pays up) or mentally (and insurance policy does not pay up) - what will he/she do then? He/she is going to be stuck with an unsellable horse, who depending on how much they care for the horse, they may be stuck with for the next 20 years, which will far outdo the recoveries (or not) from the insurance policy. It is a very bad idea in my opinion. I seriously hope they do not do this. A serious trainer would never even ask such a ridiculous question. The person that asked this is chancing their arm, and your friend is being sucked in.
I haven't read all the responses, but after deep, soul searching musings on this idea, my considered response would be to tell the prospective buyer to take that crazy as bat shit suggestion and shove it where the monkeys shove thier nuts, ie where the sun rarely, if ever shines.