Findeight is correct. The owner needs to send the following email to perspective buyers:
Please note that I had graciously given an extension for the horse to stay on trial and be vetted so long as it was completed by January 15, 2008. Subsequent to that, you requested an extension so that the horse could be vetted and paid for on January 18, 2008. In the interim, you have used my horse, trailered him to shows, and shown him. Please note that I will not permit another extension nor do I want to hear that you need to wait for results of bloodwork or the like given you have had my horse for well over 45 days. I will not accept that the vet had an emergency or anything of the sort so perhaps you should have a contingency plan in place in the event your specialist has some undetermined conflict. The money for the horse MUST be in my account on January 18, 2008 no later than 1:50pm by wire transfer and here is the wire information. If the money is not in the account, I have made arrangements to have the shipper or myself pick up the horse January 19, 2008 in the morning and you will need to have X dollars for the shipping in cash as agreed upon when the horse was taken on trial.
Please note that regardless of the outcome of the vetting, I am NOT reducing the price of the horse so let's make sure we are real clear on that point to."
Of course she won't do this but......
That should go to the "buyer" cc'd to the train wreck er.. "trainer". The horse "T" must get out of that barn Saturday if the cash is not in hand! Otherwise I would prosecute for theft via misapropriation of property.
It's happened here in Illinois under similar circumstances. Not only was the "buyer" & "Trainer" arrested, they were found guilty and had to pay restitution to the "seller" plus she recieved her horse back. It was a felony conviction because the horse was over $3500 in value.
My late MIL worked for the S.A. when the case went to trial. What a mess. But the seller was sick of being jerked around. The horse was always "going to be vetted", or " we aren't sure this is the right horse", or "the trainer is too busy for the evaluation", or "Buffy is so busy with cheer we can't decide right now" or "we plan to haul to Kendall road for the vetting but could not get an appointment with the vet we wanted", blah blah blah. She found her spine and BAM!
I know they called the Sheriff's office first. Always the place to go. Once a complaint is filed the S.A. step's in. When it's a living thing they work QUICK!
Anywho - Hubby reminded me tonight about it - he is in law enforcement. He so reminded me what a coffe click scandal it was -everyone knew about it - The trainer ended up moving to AZ for a "freshstart". And every time that girl would ride by in the show ring (on a different horse of course) everyone recounted the story and gawked at her - poor kid. She sure didn't stay with horses long after that. Adults can sure screw up a good kid
OK I digress - I am up with a sick horsey tonight - poor guy! So i'll be browsing COTH between wellness check ups -Jingles for my old guy please!
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"
the realist in me (and my crystal ball--man, they NEVER agree normally!) both say that this will NOT be over Friday. Or next Friday for that matter.
If it IS over Friday, it will be along the lines of, "Oh, Dobbin failed flexions" (GAG!) or "Dobbin has a bone chip" so we're not going to buy him. And you owe us X for hauling, Y for board, Z for training plus the vetting as he's yours afterall.
Scenario 1 - Agree with Buddy Roo. If they decide they DON'T want to buy him, they will try to stick it to the owner for hauling, board, etc.
Scenario 2 - If they decide they DO want to buy him, they will MAIL a check to the owner. And it might be postdated for a later date. And it will bounce when epona's friend tries to cash it.
Woodland -- Didn't the person you know contact the owner and express interest in the horse? Can you give us an update? That might tide us over until the PPE on Friday.
I agree,, this thread is not only addicting,, it has made me ((more)) of a lush!!
Well, I think I need to start putting Bailey's in my coffee. I've been drinking coffee (because between 3 kids and this thread, I can't get any sleep! LOL). Yesterday, I finally had enough caffeine to give myself a migraine. So that's it - I'm switching from coffee to something a bit more tasty!
I can't wait for the next update - the suspense is killing me!
And, wasn't there supposed to be a PPE done today by a different vet? Or did they not want to do the one today, they wanted only the one on friday? Why was I under the impression they wanted the PPE done today, and then the specialist on friday, to do another lameness exam?
My hubby says we are pathetic,, but then asks for any updates!?!?!?!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who shared this saga with my hubby! Of course, I tried to explain it, and he said, "So, basically the girl is stupid, the trainers and buyers are shmucks, and the rest of you strangers are beating a dead horse?" I said, "Pretty much." Hubby, who is so great with words said, "Horse girls are so retarded." LOL But, he grew up with a mother who had horses (and breeds), so it's not like he's new to the insanity...
I can't help but to keep checking back *hoping* there's a new plot twist.