The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

I think the trainer was merely buying some more time by reaming the "buyer" out to your friend. Your friend is now somewhat mollified, and thus no action will be taken for a couple of days.

She should not fall into this trap. I repeat: she needs to either see the horse herself or send a trusted person (or Coth'er) on her behalf to see the horse as soon as possible. Not this weekend. Sooner.

This is a bad situation. What if the horse bucks the kid off and kid sustains major injuries? Who owns the horse then when the medical bills come in? Wanna guess?

She should orally inform the trainer that the kid *may not* ride the horse again until and unless they send the money. End of story.

The "buyers" have already breached the contract; the extension is void. (Not a legal opinion; I'm not a lawyer. But let's hope that the kid's parents aren't lawyers either).

Not only no horseshow, no rides. At all. The trial is over.

Following the phone call with the trainer delivering this news, she needs to write a letter stating exactly the same thing and send it certified.

Seriously, do they expect the kid will have miraculously remembered how to ride in this short span of time? if they want to keep f***ing the horse up they need to pay for it in advance.

This is why I also NEVER send horses on trial. I don't care how many sales I lose over it, if I need to sell a horse that darn bad I'll just get out of the business entirely.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    She called her trainer in IL and basically said "LISTEN, lady, I trusted you, you totally screwed me over... WTF?!?!?!" Trainer said "I agree, theres alot of screwing happening, I don't approve, call my daughter and see what she has to say." Mom put in the preliminary phone call "You should PROBABLY answer the phone..." and my friend called FL trainer. FL trainer proceeded to rip my friend a new one for "tattleing to her mommy" and then my friend turned the tables and told her where to shove it. Trainer immediately came back with "Okay, okay, the girl totally messed up at the show, she hasn't shown in a year and NEVER at 3', she couldn't get it together, popped the horse in the mouth over the fences, hence the bucking, and then he started refusing and she got TOed at the horse, punished more, and it was all down hill." Trainer then got after student, dad of student got after trainer and trainer told dad that he was being stupid, he needed to buy the horse, his daughter needed to listen to trainer and if they didn't close the deal by the 15th she would no longer be training his daughter and didn't need him as a client anymore. Trainer also advised that anything coming up in vetting would be CLIENTS problem, not sellers.
    I smell somke being blown.

FL trainer wont answer phone, gets call from Mummy Dearest, finally answers phone, gets mad that Mummy Dearest is involved, and then acts all nicey nicey and becomes friend of owner. Says shell get rid of client if they dont buy the horse. Yeah, I get rid of clients every day for people that I dont know. Um, no.

Im not buying that one. Pull the horse from the situation. Yesterday. Or demand payment by Thursday. Horse will be ruined by daughter and trainer (who let daughter show at a level she couldnt do) and thats a whole nother story.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

1 members found this post helpful.

and why would she think this conversation with the trainer is anything more than them continuing to play her which they have done so effectively do far? Trainer did not change her tone in the conversation until she saw being aggressive was not going to fly- so she took a new tact and proceeded to get your friend to agree to exactly what they have wanted from day 1- the horse until the 15th and able to show him without paying her a dime. Has this "trainer" done anything to support giving her any credibility? uh, no They are still manipulating her and getting everything that they want.
    why is she giving them permission to show the horse this weekend- that is nuts!
    When you say that she agreed in writing to the trial extension, was that the first extension or the one to the 15th? If it includes the the extension to the 15th, does it allow your friend to limit their use of the horse? if so, NO show already- they have done enough damage to this horse
    your friend needs to say no through the whole conversation with them and not just start out that way -which she has done time and again and so they know they can talk her out of her position every frickin time
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I say if friend doesn't have money to go get the horse she needs to go to Sam's or Costco and get the industrial size tube of KY jelly.... she's gonna need it... heck she needs it now!!!
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My god this is better reading than almost any book.

It is just sad that this is really happening to someone . . .

Oh Brother . No advice ,you've heard a bunch of good suggestions. just , Oh Brother.

Bear in mind that I've probably read too much Dick Francis over the years, but... consider the possibility that this horse, the one that did poorly at the show, and the one that COTHers hope to check on, may no longer be OP's friend's horse, but a plain bay TB substitute. Perhaps OP's friend's horse has already been sold on, or is being hidden somewhere until the expected "flip" sale can take place. The good news, in that case, would be that they haven't ruined a good horse.

I kept wondering why they made a point of sending the Christmas photo and admitting that they changed his name, food, and supplements. Then I thought that perhaps they sent the photo to establish, in case "proof" was needed, that "this" is the horse they received from OP's friend... at Christmastime, 2007 (as can be seen, I assume, from the card).

EC, can your friend be sure that the horse in the photo is hers?

(Or maybe it was just an innocent, friendly photo, card, and note, in which case it was rather sweet of them.)

Default IF I were the seller.....

#1 I would call Florida Trainer and say "Time is up. Without payment in full today MY HORSE does not show."
    A. Rider is incompetent
    B. Horses training has obviously been jeopardized
    C. Horse will be vetted upon return to KY and ANY damage done to said horse will be their FAULT!
    D. Return shipping charges must be repaid by "buyer".

#2 I would get on the phone with Drexler's 1(847)683-4464 And tell Syd that the horse is an IMMEDIATE pick up. He does regular runs to KY from FL. Pay him and then SUE FL people for the costs.

#3 Chalk it up to stupidity. Between us we can help her move the horse toot sweet.

Or I could still go all Pirate on them - ARGH !!!!! I have a pomeranian and a hoof pick and I am not afraid to use them!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenaerie View Post
    Bear in mind that I've probably read too much Dick Francis over the years, but... consider the possibility that this horse, the one that did poorly at the show, and the one that COTHers hope to check on, may no longer be OP's friend's horse, but a plain bay TB substitute. Perhaps OP's friend's horse has already been sold on, or is being hidden somewhere until the expected "flip" sale can take place. The good news, in that case, would be that they haven't ruined a good horse.
    OMG I read Dick Francis too!!! I thought the same thing
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

OOOH I have an Idea...lets let the drama llama loose in Fla...

oh well nevermind..

oops I guess that was another tread..

nevermind..
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I'm in Gainesville and can travel to act as an observer if your friend gets desperate and the show is in the North Central area (although I can't think of one this weekend off the top of my head.) I can video, do pics, possibly even show up with a lawyer in tow . I also know of two barns in town that could take the horse if she needs a safe place to stow him for a while.

Tell her to stay mad and follow Ivana's motto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Ooooohhhh, this is so much better than my reply above!
    excellent reply

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    I have a pomeranian and a hoof pick and I am not afraid to use them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenaerie View Post

I kept wondering why they made a point of sending the Christmas photo and admitting that they changed his name, food, and supplements. Then I thought that perhaps they sent the photo to establish, in case "proof" was needed, that "this" is the horse they received from OP's friend... at Christmastime, 2007 (as can be seen, I assume, from the card).

EC, can your friend be sure that the horse in the photo is hers?

(Or maybe it was just an innocent, friendly photo, card, and note, in which case it was rather sweet of them.)

now that id what got me - the xmas photo the chnage of name this isnt co -sher

its some sort of scam --

there are good cothers about that will help you-- look ok eeen if the the cother picked it up and trnasported to xyz getting back -- but there are other cothers if no one could take it in over night then we do have on her rescue places that would-- help to
    the important thing is to get the horse away from the trianer even if she cant afford to take him all the way back home then you could have alturnative

a rescue center - a coth reguular dunno whos the nearest
    you could arrange for horse to be drop off what care it needs it will get then have the horse put up for sale from there with -- a cluase from owner to center
    till you can get it home/sold and if you sell him from there or at anytime you give the center a reasonable donation to cover costs incured plus a bit of commission so they have nice lump sum out of it ie 10% of the sale price goes to the center think thats fair as its going to a good cuase and they helped you out in an odd situation but care would be given imedataely if the horse needed it..

iam sure someone from coth would help also they know about laws and stuff of each county
    so if the perosn that has it been out of line in lack of care they know who to report it to

ok gang lets help this poor girl if i was in usa i would help and actually go and get him back plod in tow

so who is in florida--
    and whos the nerest coth rescue center whereby if you cant keep him over night he would be safe until next pick up point
    what we need is a plan to get him back frrom point a-- to point b
    and if no stable the nearest cother with facilties to help her sell him

www.pet-id.net/appform-silhouette.pdf

have posted here for silhouette so op-- can print off and fill in with red pen all the markings of the horse in question-- so that who ever goes to locate said horse has that and a photo--- might help who ever goes to check so they can email to the people doing a look see

all white areas to be denottaed by red pen-- ie forleg white stocking - so ut a red line across where it end on the diagram of the leg--
    any other marks like whorls- to be describe as where on the horse -- ie head neck chest
    any other marks like probhets thumb -- or ermin marks do a black circle as to where they are on the body
    that way its easy also describe any and all markings ie brands etc

makesure you have a photo on won with no tack and another with tack and one thats palited or palin mane as some horses look completed different when tack up so make sure you have a good selection of photos

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    At this point, I'd say you've done everything you can to convince your friend that what she did was idiotic. I'd cut her loose to fend for herself now. The Florida Cothers are, I'm sure, very well-intentioned, but this girl has dug her own hole and she needs to deal with it all by herself like a grown-up.
    Guin, you are right-on. This person is not the sharpest tool in the shed and needs to learn she isn't going to get bailed out on responsibilities she needs to take on as a grown up. I am stunned. OP, you need to cut her loose to fend for herself. I would be upset enough I would walk away from the friendship, here too,.

You aren't doing anyone any favors by trying to rescue her from herself. She needs to live with the consequences of her actions. You need to step out of the picture.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Epona,
    Your friend needs to demand payment NOW or bring the horse home.
    Where does he need to ship to get back to her? Maybe we can start a COTH chain and get him home for her...
    If he needs to come by me I'll do some driving.
    Seriously peoples, let's get this horse outta there.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Face it, folks. We can sit here and get all kinds of indignant about the way the trainer and buyer are behaving, but in the end the seller will no more listen to any of these suggestions now than she did in the beginning of this debacle. The OP holds absolutely no sway over this idiot seller, and isn't going to suddenly start affecting her now.

The seller wants to be bailed out and rescued from her stupidity. I am one who would say lets her sink. The OP and other people here probably won't and will rescue her.

That's too bad, becfause this is an excellent opportunity for her to learn about being responsible and taking the consequences of one's own behaviour. I think she is hard-wired to be a victim. Hope the horse is basically happy, in the end.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.