Think about it this way:
You want to buy a home.
The home is out of state.
Do you ask the agent or home owner to ship the home to you?
Sorry...but when it comes to moving either a person or a horse...it's a helluva lot easier and more sane to move the people to where the horse is rather than the other way around.
Besides...you're the one with the sales item. The buyer goes to where something is for sale...the seller doesn't bring the sale item to the buyer unless the seller is the ice cream truck driver.
this sums it up for me...as well as the post about the potential buyer leasing the horse. If he/she is honestly interested then it shouldn't be a problem to come to the horse. Then, one could expect the potential buyer wanting a trial AT THEIR EXPENSE.
Since it is a long haul, a short term lease (complete with contract including insurance) would make more sense. The horse will doubtfully behave normally after being hauled that far (unless used to it-and even then a night to rest/stretch their legs would be better) and a trial/lease would just make more sense.
If your friend does decide to go through with this, please be sure that they call their vet and get the necessary interstate transport documentation. It isn't worth risking it if they get stopped. This too I would want the potential buyer to cover if not at least split.
If the potential buyer balks at these suggestions I would seriously question their motives and sincerity about purchase.
...Everything seems to be in place verbally and hopefully it will all go swimmingly....
She doesn't have anything in writing? I would personally have the terms spelled out very clearly in a contract signed by both parties.
Of course, I wouldn't do this in the first place, but if I did, you'd better believe I'd have my butt covered with an iron clad contract. Also, what about liability? As in, if the horse bucks the kid off (or whatever) and seriously injures her? A verbal agreement won't hold water here.
Bless you for your patience with your friend! I would have gotten frustrated and poo-poo'ed the situation a long time ago.
I spent the weekend with my friend on my mini-vacation and OMG is she ever-so-nice and patient. I would have told the buyer to F-off a LONG time ago, but she stuck with them and I think they have a deal worked out.
First the buyer called (on Friday evening) and said they'd taken out insurance and shipper would be coming to pick up horse on Monday, they'd like to keep him until January 15 so daughter could show him and see how they do. And, oh, we DID agree on a price that is 3000 less than your asking price, right?
She called back and said "No, I'm asking X, and there is NO WAY I can have this horse ready to ship on MONDAY. And NO, you cannot keep the horse for a month and half, ride it, show it, see how it places and then decide."
Trainer calls "What do you mean you want X for the horse, you told me X-$3000 and you owe me a commission, BTW." Friend tells trainer "No, price I gave you was what I had to have when YOU were selling the horse and anything you added on was yours. Thank you, deal is off."
Buyer calls back "Please, please, PLEASE let us try to work something out." Friend tells buyer that she'll take X-$1500, good middle of ground, is what she wanted for the horse originally. Buyer says "We'll pay that if you pay for half of shipping." Friend laughs and says "No way, deal is off." Friend contacts classmate who's parents are professional haulers and gets quoted shipping that is nearly half. Friend calls buyer and says "I found a shipper who is nearly half, here's the number, do what you'd like with it."
Buyer calls back, horse will ship Nov 29 with cheaper shipper, insurance policy is in place (with proof!), friend will have check in hand for horse before he ships, trial period is two weeks with guidelines about use in place (no excessive jumping etc.), horse ships back at buyers expense if he doesn't work out. I'm still worried about the return shipping, but friend seems unconcerned.
I think I've done all I can do about warnings and flashing red lights. Everything seems to be in place verbally and hopefully it will all go swimmingly.
I was so furious with buyer I nearly snatched the phone and told him exactly where he could go a few times, but she kept with the "he seems so nice!!" thing, so... I guess we'll see, right?
It's still all a little fishy to me, and theres still some hemming and hawing over finders fees and commissions for the trainer. (At this point I think myself and COTH deserves the commission more than shady trainer lady.) I'm fixin' to start a thread about commissions here in a second, they baffle me anyway, so...
I guess we should all just keep our fingers crossed and bomb shelters well stocked?
I was skimming this thread and missed this update. Sorry-bad BB responder....anyway, you've done all that you can. Just be there for her when this blows up and try very hard not to say I told you so. Do update us though because this is a fantastic seller-buyer lesson in the making and worth sharing.
Well, at least she isn't hauling him down at her own expense and staying on a "beach" with total strangers.
COMMISSION??? WTF should she have to pay a commission???? Exactly what is either one of these JAW "trainer people" doing FOR her to earn a penny? My trainer of the past 12 years buys and sells alot, I see what she does to earn her commissions and I sure don't see anything of the sort going on here, see OPs friend doing all the negotiating-and poorly. Price keeps dropping and stuff gets tacked on to the original deal.
Have friend draw up a lease contract and fax it down there-get it signed and faxed back BEFORE that horse steps in the trailer. And that's IF the shipper shows up. I mean, wouldn't be the first time somebody on the other end claimed they booked one and it never shows because they didn't.
But, y'all know what is going to happen here, don't you?
Friend is not going to get a check in advance for the lease period. There really isn't any insurance in place unless it's a blanket policy for the business (how could they get it for the specifically named horse unless they have a signed lease agreement for the horse).
Horse is not coming back Jan 15th. "Shipping" issues, those darn van people cannot get here until March.
I know...they are nice. So was Ted Bundy. But his victims didn't listen any more then OPs friend is going to.
Honestly, am beginning to think she needs to change trainers here. No way she should have those open palms stuck under her nose with a crap deal like this where she is doing all the work and taking all the risk.
When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.
O...M...G!!!!!!!! She is SERIOUSLY going to do this.. each time they come up with a scenerio it is worse!!! No signed and I repeat SIGNED contract stating terms and such NO HORSE!!! Really it shouldn't go at all. And how many of us think they are going to ride this horse in the ground *raises hand* and the gall of asking for COMISSION?!?!?!?!? and a lower price...For WHAT??? Seriously My BS detector is beeping so loud people around me are starting to get bothered!! How many threads do we have to see here about things going bad and only verbal contracts in place... and owner is S.O.L!! I mean once they have the horse IN FLA,, and poor college student up here... with classes and such and unable to make a drive or not able to fight in court if something goes wrong... sorry this really reaks and I feel your friend is going to learn a really important life lesson.. the hard way...
___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
//__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!
There are just too many questions and unresolved issues....
I can't believe she's even thinking of letting the horse go that far away to people she doesn't know without a signed contract?!
Here's one that's easy, though. Why can't they have the money transferred (electronic) from buyer's account to seller's? That would eliminate the whole "check clearing" thing. If the buyer answers that the seller isn't supposed to cash the check until the trial period is up, I'd walk away - make that run away!
I feel bad for the horse. He's going to get shipped for a 2 week trial where nobody will be there on his behalf to monitor. He will be jumped a lot (who's going to stop them?) & ridden hard & tested & tried until he either fails at what they want him to do or worse yet breaks. Any shows happening that he'll be attending too? Then he'll get tossed to the side & shipped home when they get around to it. Or the owner goes & gets him.
I still don't know why they can't come try him. Here's an upcoming 3 day weekend they could have flown in, tried him a few times & gone home to decide further. I have to wonder how serious these buyers really are if they can't even make some simple travel arrangements??
Best case is this works out for everybody, but I am afraid I am too jaded to believe it from the details we have been told.