The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Cool Boots are the Deal Breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Margarita View Post
    With the rule change, they could present a reasonably neat picture and "move on" to a recognized show. Without, Faith might not show, and Charity will wear wrecked up worn out boots.

I STILL cannot understand why the "Tall Boots" (or really ANY) dress requirement would be the "deal breaker" in being able to show at a recognized show?

From my experience, people who don't show at recognized shows cite
    the $$$cost of show fees/hauling/stabling as the reasons for lack of participation.

NOT, the prohibitive cost of tall boots.

So why would the USEF waste the time and trouble making a rule that isn't really going to encourage that many more to show?

(edit to add)
    AND, if the concern is making recognized showing more affordable:

Why, at the same time, propose THESE rules that will absolutely impact the number and cost of recognized shows:

Additional rule proposals:

1. USEF APPOINTING TD's for shows
    2. Requiring TWO EMT's for each show.

As Charlie Brown would say, good grief. People, as has been stated before, paddock boots and jods are LEGAL to 4th level. You don't need to be a junior to wear them. If you have paddock boots and can't/don't want to fork over the money for tall boots, google Breeches USA and order a $50 pair of Tuff Rider jodphurs. Voila, you are neatly and appropriately dressed for USEF shows. Thus the issue of "legalizing" half-chaps goes away.

Skip the show, buy the boots, and then you never have to worry about it again!
    Boy, don't I wish. I don't think I have ever done a show where the mystery of the day wasn't "will the boots fit me this morning or not?" and "what am I going to have to do to get them on?" (and then off again). And we are talking customs here: you don't get off the shelf boots or semi customs in my calf size. (and so it has been for the past 35 years or so).

And as for short boots and jhodpurs... I ride in short boots with no leg protection, I get bleeding sores on the inside of my calves. Not to mention how rotten they look on a larger woman.

Why is so much energy spent preventing people from having options?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljoywashere View Post
    Most schooling shows say that they are using USDF rules, therefore you must wear tall boots (unless you are a junior in jodphurs).
    That is incorrect on two counts. USEF makes the rules, not USDF. USEF dressage rules state that anyone may wear jods and paddock boots.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Nov. 12, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalpony View Post
    I refuse to ride my cat out of the kitchen, mainly because I don't want to pay the hospital bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    there is a seller on ebay who makes customs for $300, and several board members have ordered from him.
    Do a little more searching on the responses re a few of those companies. I was absolutely horrified when mine showed up - they bore no relation whatsoever to anything I had ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Do a little more searching on the responses re a few of those companies. I was absolutely horrified when mine showed up - they bore no relation whatsoever to anything I had ordered.
    I'm aware of the mixed responses-- the point was more that, with effort, solutions can be found.

As far as the poster who said semicustom boots don't come in her calf size--semicustoms are built on standard foot sizes with custom calves. If the calf is custom, how does it not come in your size?

As far as the poster who said that $200 x 3 is a lot of money for that family, well, that's what they'll pay to send the three of them to a recognized show (at the very low end!) and the new boots would last a lot longer. If money is tight, it's tight on all fronts. I know when I was a kid my parents would be much more willing to spend $200 on boots I could wear for a year than for me to ride in one or two tests at a big show. I understand the whole goal thing, but if you're making financial decisions and stretching your dollar, recognized shows are exactly the wrong way to do that.

I think making the shows cheaper is a MUCH better way to make the sport more inviting than allowing schooling attire. Unfortunately with gas everything costs more these days. Jodhpurs are allowed. Children and teenagers look fine in them. I really just wish we would stop trying to change things that aren't broken (TD and EMT rules included.)

Now, all that said, I would still rather see a nice looking half chap and short boot than those mountain horse sportive boots. At least nice half chaps and short boots flatter the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcombs View Post
    Unless you are uncommonly shaped, you can get a usable pair of field or dress boots out of the Dover catalog for about $100. Cheapy field boots, $74.95, cheapy dress boots, $119.95.

And I don't mean 'uncommonly shaped' in an insulting way. I'm uncommonly shaped.
    That's true, but take a look at the sizes, they are somewhat limited, perhaps the half chap combo would allow additional sizes. I'm fine either way.

Default proposed rule changes: # 2

I agree with Petstorejunkie -if you are going to a show, dress the part. It's a sign of respect. It is quite possible to get a pair of dress boots for a reasonable price, they are available used and through tack swaps if you can't afford new.
    If you can't make an attempt to look nice you just shouldn't be showing, that's part of the prep work. Would you show up with a muddy horse? NO WAY! Same principle....

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I think making the shows cheaper is a MUCH better way to make the sport more inviting than allowing schooling attire. Unfortunately with gas everything costs more these days. Jodhpurs are allowed. Children and teenagers look fine in them. I really just wish we would stop trying to change things that aren't broken (TD and EMT rules included.)

Now, all that said, I would still rather see a nice looking half chap and short boot than those mountain horse sportive boots. At least nice half chaps and short boots flatter the leg.
    I just don't agree that they're schooling attire. Put a spur on and you probably would never notice that they weren't tall boots. Nice half chaps can fit better than tall boots, and look better.

Rubber tall boots are legal. The Mountain Horse tall boots are legal. Ugly ill-fitting tall boots are legal. We're all wrapped up about whether a boot is sewn together at the ankle or fastened in some other way.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If you have fat legs, you can get boots for about $225. If you want to keep them nice, just wear them for shows.

Quote Originally Posted by claire View Post
    I STILL cannot understand why the "Tall Boots" (or really ANY) dress requirement would be the "deal breaker" in being able to show at a recognized show?
    With a sport you're not sure you're going to pursue long term, it feels wasteful. It's just another $400 straw. Whatever. Who cares?

Currently, riders can get special medical permission to wear half chaps because of medical conditions. Has this impacted your dressage experience in any negative way? Why should the rider and USEF have to waste all their time creating and processing the disability waiver for something so simple?

It's true that if I were that rider, or advising that rider, I'd advise them to show just in paddock boots. But, I think that rider looks far less traditional and will feel far less 'appropriate' than a rider in the nice, smooth leather half chaps.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

As far as the poster who said semicustom boots don't come in her calf size--semicustoms are built on standard foot sizes with custom calves. If the calf is custom, how does it not come in your size?
    When I was trying to solve this problem, and admittedly that was 25 years ago, semi-custom usually meant the shop had a wider range of calf sizes for each shoe size than the standard, off the shelf boots that maybe had 2-3 calf sizes. And so I ended up buying custom boots if I wanted boots at all. If it now means that they actually WILL build a custom calf, then that is a better situation and I need to look into that.

That still doesn't solve the problem of water retention, weight changes and the like that make it tricky to predict whether any tall boot will actually fit on the day of the show that was entered weeks earlier.