The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Aunt Esther

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    As for Aunt Esther, I have it from the source herself, and she said "This it be wrong!" But I think she was having a Willem moment with the phraseology.

Or Aunt Esther has talents as a medium and was channeling Willem!

Quote Originally Posted by bearcombs View Post
    Unless you are uncommonly shaped, you can get a usable pair of field or dress boots out of the Dover catalog for about $100. Cheapy field boots, $74.95, cheapy dress boots, $119.95.

And I don't mean 'uncommonly shaped' in an insulting way. I'm uncommonly shaped.
    Depends on your definition of "usable." Those boots feel like they're made of cardboard. I went the el cheapo route for my first pair. What a waste of money.

If someone is on a budget, try eBay or sites that have ads for used tack and clothing (like this one!). You have to know exactly what measurements you need, and be sure the seller knows how to measure. But if you're patient, you can get a very good deal ... like a very nice pair of used Dehners for $80. And I didn't have to break them in, either.

Quote Originally Posted by claire View Post

Or Aunt Esther has talents as a medium and was channeling Willem!
    Aunt Esther loved to ride Willem. She was one of the few people he would not put into the dirt. So, yes, I am sure they are joined in some spiritual way.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I'd like the riders represent the U.S. on the Olympic or Pan Am Games Teams to be wearing really nice boots --- other than that, really doesn't matter what riders wear as long as it is serviceable and safe
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    I'd like the riders represent the U.S. on the Olympic or Pan Am Games Teams to be wearing really nice boots --- other than that, really doesn't matter what riders wear as long as it is serviceable and safe
    Excaclty. I'm all for "tradition"... I mean current fad, but if some wants or needs to ride in a two piece boot (you do realize that is the only difference right?) thats just fine. Now if they proposed to include suede, cotton, or wool boots I'd start getting a little bit more worried.

Come on guys, not all 'unusual' leg shaped people can afford custom boots to show training level. Oh thats right, those people should be only allowed to attend schooling shows, besides they might beat us

Why do people care so much about what others choose wear? Me? I say wear whatever you want. I will wear what I want. May the best horse win.

Some of these responses remind me of a great DQ joke -

Q. What does a DQ use for birth control?

A. Her personality
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I agree here. If it were up to me tall boots with zippers installed would be illegal. a dress boot or field boot DOES actually effect your riding ALOT. We didnt invent these tall boots to simply inconvenience people.
    Well, EXCUSE me... You must never have had to deal with a ridiculously high arch. Without a zipper in my dress boots, I couldn't even begin to get them on, I'd be relegated to field boots, which I'm not a fan of for dressage. Really, zippers are required for some of us.

We are the same as the UK here in NZ. Matching half chaps and boots of leather are acceptable.
    I have 3 pair of top boots but often wear my half chaps and boots as I find them more comfortable.
    Custom Boots are not an option here. We simply donot have any custom boot makers so people with unusual sizes are short of choice. If you have extra short legs, thick calves or extra long legs chances are you won't find a boot that fits very well and half chaps may be the best answer.

I don't really get what the deal is. You could not even tell when I am on a horse that my half chaps are not top boots.

And also like the UK schooling classes have the same dress code as registered competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    no they are not.
    Yes, they are. Just wearing short jodhpur boots and jodhpur pants is legal. DR120.1 The dress code for training through 4th levels... breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots...

Schooling shows are where you get your feet wet and decide if you want to commit to the expense of the recognized show. If USDF wants to do something to enhance the sport I would suggest getting rid of the coats for everything but FEI and allow either a Navy or Black fitted vest be worn. They can even keep the dreaded white breeches but seriously....the coat needs to go. It is just not practical through the majority of the season. At least make vests an option. I don't see a problem with tall boots at all. You can find some very inexpensive tall boots even if they are field boots. Its better than random chaps.

Isn't a schooling show the place for this kind of gettup?

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Well, hell's bells, why not just dumb it down completely and let them ride in jeans and tennies? I hope this does not pass. Oh my gawd, it's just like when they dumbed down hunters to include such stellar divisions as low low ammy crossrail long stirrup cavaletti.
    Exactly. If you're not going to dress the part, don't show. I think this is a very, very bad idea.

As for the whip rule - does anyone know why the legal length was reduced, to begin with? I mean, really, 4.2" is a very odd difference to make. WTF?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I think it's an OK idea. I don't see a problem with it. To me, this isn't dumbing down. Dumbing down would be a walk only class.
    I know some people deterred from showing by the dress code. They aren't going to go to a rate show anyway, let them have fun in the local schooling shows.

I am a traditionalist, and wear tall boots for shows, lessons, and clinics. But, paddock boots provide better ankle support, IMO.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

[QUOTE=Petstorejunkie;2787876]I agree here. If it were up to me tall boots with zippers installed would be illegal. a dress boot or field boot DOES actually effect your riding ALOT. We didnt invent these tall boots to simply inconvenience people.
    QUOTE]

Actually the zip in boots has made boots more afforable...I used to have to buy custom and now with the zip I am able to by off the rack for a fraction of the cost and the fit is incredible.
    I think as long as it is neat and tidy and the look gives an all in one appearance than I find that respectable attire. One can talk of tradition but sport and its "equipment" adapt and evolve.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I don't see any problem with this, the half chaps make it easier for someone to give the dressage show thing a try, without having to invest in an expensive pair of boots.
    "Giving the dressage thing a try" is what schooling shows are for. And, as for an "expensive" pair of boots, there are plenty of options for a vast combination of sizes that are cheaper than most half chaps.

What is wrong with that?
    It's tacky.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

[QUOTE=ESG;2788768]"Giving the dressage thing a try" is what schooling shows are for. And, as for an "expensive" pair of boots, there are plenty of options for a vast combination of sizes that are cheaper than most half chaps.
    QUOTE]

Know THAT I will agree with....Although I do not particularly care for the half chap thing in general and do not discriminate, I often wonder when some boots are indeed cheaper that some do not go down that route. If "I" can get boots that fit like custom and at a decent price....ANYONE can...and I mean ANYONE....

If you need a mental image,,,think the Valasic pickle stork!!!

so what if you think it's tacky? i think paint horses are tacky and i think sparkly browbands are tacky. but i only need to worry about either of those things when someone tries to force me to ride a paint or buy a sparkly browband. get over yourselves and stop looking at other people's footwear.

Well - it's not just about footwear is it ?

I support the rule change. I've looked in many tack stores, including consignment shops, in 4 different states over the last 3 years, and haven't been able to find a pair of dress boots that fit me for under $200.00. Thank goodness I was able to get used field boots that fit, but that manufacturer is no more

I don't buy the "if you're not serious about dressage/can't show often, then stick to schooling shows" argument either. Dressage is about TRAINING, right? Isn't that where the emphasis should be? Saying to someone who can't afford the time/money to show often that they ought to be relegated to unrecognized shows only is...well, elitist. And if someone's on a really tight budget but IS serious about dressage, it seems logical to me that they would want those few shows each year they can afford to be recognized competitions.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

You know, it costs just as much to buy a properly fitting pair of smooth leather half chaps and short boots as it does to buy a reasonable pair of tall boots. The tredstep galway is $170 just for the gaiter, boot aside. The cost argument doesn't REALLY float in this case. Good fit costs money, whether it's in a tall boot or a half chap/ short boot system.

Personally, I can almost always tell when someone is wearing half chaps and short boots and they don't look as nice. Part of the virtue of the tall boot is it provides a uniform stiffness and surface as you apply aids. You lose this with a half chap and short boot.

Plus, I see a lot of this at unrecognized shows and it just says "lazy" to me when I see it. Regardless of the reasons for wearing them, they look like you couldn't be bothered to find an appropriately fitting boot and put it on, like you threw together your show outfit. it is rare that the setup REALLY looks as good as a properly fitted tall boot. Good quality semicustoms are not that expensive, for those who feel they can't fit a stock boot. By the time you show at a recognized show, I'd hope that you were serious enough to invest $400 in a properly fitting boot.