The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Cool What would Aunt Esther Say!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    If they want to attract more people and make things easier and more affordable, maybe they could find a way to make things a little cheaper, like all of the different membership fees and horse registrations etc.?
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Most people who are "trying out Dressage" are doing schooling shows anyway.

The $$$ involved in buying a pair of boots is a drop in the bucket compared to the $$$$ of doing a Recognized vs. a Schooling Dressage show.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Well, hell's bells, why not just dumb it down completely and let them ride in jeans and tennies? I hope this does not pass. Oh my gawd, it's just like when they dumbed down hunters to include such stellar divisions as low low ammy crossrail long stirrup cavaletti.
    I agree here. If it were up to me tall boots with zippers installed would be illegal. a dress boot or field boot DOES actually effect your riding ALOT. We didnt invent these tall boots to simply inconvenience people.
    There is also a matter of respect. its a SHOW you SHOW OFF!!!! you wear your sunday best, you braid, you clip, everyone is clean neat and tidy.
    If you want to get your feet wet, go to a schooling show.

Never mind the photos (are somewhere around 5 years old) ... just looking at my boots, what's wrong with them?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/11466...Xir?vhost=pets
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/11466...gWn?vhost=pets

Here's another photo, a bit more recent... like 4 years ago:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/12407...48195726EyswhT

I hope that link works. Those are my Tredstep Galloway Gaiter system things... forget the whole name, as Tredstep isn't selling the exact model anymore. But, I think it looks tasteful and as other stated, the rider and horse as a harmonious pair are being judged, not turnout. (Cause it that was the case, I'd be docked for having hunter braids, a too short jacket and other things... )

Anyways, I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I don't do the recognized shows because there aren't too many in the area that are worthwhile. Plus, I don't have the income to support all those fees and, I'd need a new jacket. I guess that's an excuse to buy more clothes...

About the whip though, as that was added after I originally posted, I think. I'd love to be able to go back to that length. I still have a whip that long too. Sure works well on the bigger horses.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

because it's a "tradition" has got to be one of the silliest ways to defend a rule in a SPORT -- we are not on a stage playing classical music for goodness sake although with the black jacket/white breeches you might think we head to the symphony after the show
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Makes no difference to me. I have tall boots to show in, and switch between tall boots and half chaps for schooling, depending on how warm it is. (Who cares what the hell someone else wears when they school????)

Half chaps can look quite nice, if you have smooth leather ones and matching paddock boots. And I feel sorry for people who can't get a good fitting boot off the shelf. If you're short or heavy or have one leg that's much smaller than the other, you'll can have a helluva time finding reasonably priced tall boots to fit.

I guess I have to ask why not let us lower-level competitors wear half chaps? Anything below 2nd level isn't really dressage anyway, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    Why can't people just buy boots? I love my half chaps and I'm all for getting more people involved, but one needs to respect the traditions. I think there should be the same dress code for all the levels.
    Well, I have a friend who while overweight is quite a good rider and took her 15.2 (short backed!) QH to PSG successfully and got her bronze. She had a LOT of difficulty getting boots to fit (had customs/had elastic put in tops, etc.). She probably would have loved to be able to ride in her gaiters, which are much easier to fit.

The leather gaiters and matching short boots have been allowed here in the UK for a while now and the good quality ones do look very smart and it's almost impossible to tell the difference from a long boot.

We don't have the relaxed attitude you do to schooling shows here though. Our equivalent (unaffiliated) are usually run strictly to British Dressage rules including dress code so you still have to wear black/blue/hacking jacket, white or cream jods, boots etc etc.

Appychik, those treadstep boots and gaiters you have are called the Galway system and they are still one of the most popular set ups here along with the Ariat boots and Crowne Pro leather chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Well, I have a friend who while overweight is quite a good rider and took her 15.2 (short backed!) QH to PSG successfully and got her bronze. She had a LOT of difficulty getting boots to fit (had customs/had elastic put in tops, etc.). She probably would have loved to be able to ride in her gaiters, which are much easier to fit.
    Have her check out the Womanly Sized Riders, Unite! thread on Off Course. A wealth of shopping info for the abbondanza amazon.

As for Aunt Esther, I have it from the source herself, and she said "This it be wrong!" But I think she was having a Willem moment with the phraseology.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by J Lav View Post
    The leather gaiters and matching short boots have been allowed here in the UK for a while now and the good quality ones do look very smart and it's almost impossible to tell the difference from a long boot.

We don't have the relaxed attitude you do to schooling shows here though. Our equivalent (unaffiliated) are usually run strictly to British Dressage rules including dress code so you still have to wear black/blue/hacking jacket, white or cream jods, boots etc etc.

Appychik, those treadstep boots and gaiters you have are called the Galway system and they are still one of the most popular set ups here along with the Ariat boots and Crowne Pro leather chaps.

Hey, if it's good enough for the UK, then it should be good enough for the US.

Maybe it's because I'm an eventer, or maybe it's because I had a pickle of a time finding boots that fit and were reasonably priced, but I think this is a great idea. There are people who may have had an accident that resulted in one leg being temporary swollen, or are coming off a pregnancy where they puffed up like a balloon, and don't yet fit into their Konings. Do they need to spend tons of money for boots that fit, or should they be able to go out and pick up a set of nice full leather half chaps and hit the show ring?

I hope this rule will pass and give more choices to people who concentrate on the quality of their riding not on $800 boots, $500 brow bands, $300 jackets, $300 breeches, $5000 saddles and $300 top hats.

I do always ride in boots myself and will continue to do so, but I am for choices. Currently we have only obligatory black tall boots.

I have to say that I would prefer to see someone riding in fitting halfchap 'things', than badly fitting tall boots. I.E. the guy in our barn does not have tall boots, because his older brother just ended up growing to something like 6'2". So, why would his parents buy him boots at this point when he is still growing?

I understand the whole tradition aspect (me being the nit pick about everyone braiding for shows), but sometimes it makes sense to have another option for people who have a different set of circumstances. My $0.02 worth
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

I think if we totally stuck to tradition then only men in the armed forces, in uniform, would be allowed to compete. Certainly not young ladies... and ASTRIDE! What a scandal!

I have enough to worry about with my horse, my riding and my turnout to spend any time worrying about other folks...

In addition, I doubt I'm alone in having a leg size that yo-yos up and down so much that the boots that fit me in April don't fit in August and may fit again in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Well, hell's bells, why not just dumb it down completely and let them ride in jeans and tennies? I hope this does not pass.
    It worries me that I cannot tell who in this thread is serious, and who is doing a cartoon-like parody of a DQ.

You all realize that short boots are legal, right? I bet seeing them would make your head spin.

The number of people who care so much what other people wear while competing makes me want to come to a show wearing short boots, a bright green top hat (because the color is not specified), pale pink jodhpurs (because they just have to be a light color, maybe a blaze orange stock (because the color is not specified). I'd probably wear a black jacket, just so I did not get into a subjective argument over what colors are "conservative", but I would make sure that the sleeves were about 4 inches too short for me so you could see that my shirt had been stolen from a colorblind rodeo clown.

luv the way you think TangledWeb

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    It worries me that I cannot tell who in this thread is serious, and who is doing a cartoon-like parody of a DQ.

You all realize that short boots are legal, right? I bet seeing them would make your head spin.

The number of people who care so much what other people wear while competing makes me want to come to a show wearing short boots, a bright green top hat (because the color is not specified), pale pink jodhpurs (because they just have to be a light color, maybe a blaze orange stock (because the color is not specified). I'd probably wear a black jacket, just so I did not get into a subjective argument over what colors are "conservative", but I would make sure that the sleeves were about 4 inches too short for me so you could see that my shirt had been stolen from a colorblind rodeo clown.
    Well, given that you don't know me, you make one hell of an assumption. But please, carry on, looks as if you're having fun with it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Just to play devil's advocate:

The current rules allow a rider to wear jodhpur pants and jodhpur boots. If you are ones who can not afford tall boots for dressage shows why not use that option? That is even cheaper than having to buy half-chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrass View Post
    I think if we totally stuck to tradition then only men in the armed forces, in uniform, would be allowed to compete. Certainly not young ladies... and ASTRIDE! What a scandal!........
    good one

Unless you are uncommonly shaped, you can get a usable pair of field or dress boots out of the Dover catalog for about $100. Cheapy field boots, $74.95, cheapy dress boots, $119.95.

And I don't mean 'uncommonly shaped' in an insulting way. I'm uncommonly shaped.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    I think I'm with Coreene. I hate the idea of half-chaps, I don't even like to see people schooling in them, maybe I'm more of a DQ than I realized .

If they want to attract more people and make things easier and more affordable, maybe they could find a way to make things a little cheaper, like all of the different membership fees and horse registrations etc.?

Besides, I can see it now, soon there will be a thread asking if it is okay to wear a tophat or a derby with halfchaps, lol.
    I didn't get to read ALL of the replies but DITTO to this one!!!!
    If they want to make it more affordable, there are great ways like lowering entry fees, membership fees, horse membership fees, etc.... When I first read this, I thought it was a joke, I mean a real joke. Then I realized it was an actual proposal for a real rule change. This is just terrible.
    I really hope this doesn't pass.
    Edited to add:
    There are schooling shows. If you only "dabble" in dressage that might be a perfect place to start, or if you don't want to spend $$ on dress boots when you only where chaps, again, schooling shows are a great place. I guess my questio nis WHY? IS it for $$, or ease, or to seem less of a "snobby" sport? Like stated earlier, there are better ways to make shows more affordable, and dress boots don't have to be that expensive, and what can I say maybe dressage is a bit snobby - but allowing half chaps isn't going to change that!! Actually I'd really feel sorry for the person who reads that and goes to a show with their half chaps. I have a feeling the judges wouldn't look favorably on it, and I bet they'd be sure to hear snickers in the stable about it!

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    luv the way you think TangledWeb
    So do I!
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique