The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default proposed rule changes: # 2 dress codes

<< Riders through First Level may wear half chaps, gaiters, black/brown leggings matching colors of boots, to be made of smooth leather or leather-like material.>>

So this is like--riders at First and below--that's one sport, get as many as possible.
    Riders 2nd and above--that's where it gets serious and needs a real dress cose.

Im not saying bad/good, just saying my perspective here.

<< Extra proposal : whips-- whips will return to 47.2 inches or 120 cm as they used to be.>>
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Hm, not sure how I feel about this one. I can see both sides. Be interesting to see what happens. My gut instinct is that it will NOT pass. If they'd made it for Intro only, maybe...???
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The thing is, some of th emore expensive gaiter/boot combinations are very hard to tell from regular boots and look quit enice, as opposed to the sueded Tredstep type which are very useful, but not "fancy" enough for showing. Since they specify "smooth leather," I think it MIGHT pass.

Why can't people just buy boots? I love my half chaps and I'm all for getting more people involved, but one needs to respect the traditions. I think there should be the same dress code for all the levels.

Well, cool on the whips. I've never bought the new ones so my old ones will still be good. Kind of like bell bottoms recycling in fashion or something.

I guess I'm among the few that would like this. I ride with Tredstep Galloway system. The boot and the half chap fit inside one another, you honestly can't tell a difference. And, they are both smooth leather. Very nice. I've gotten quite a few compliments while wearing them too.

The main reason why I don't do tall boots is because (1) I'm very long legged [36" inseam] and would need custom boots (2) the cost - would be super spendy because of the need for customs (3) ankle support - I've got a very bad ankle, both actually, and I want guaranteed support.

So, I'd love this. Being able to show at recognized shows with my Tredstep system in place.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

They have been permitted in US Eventing Dressage for about a year, and for FEI Eventing Dressage for even longer.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    << Riders through First Level may wear half chaps, gaiters, black/brown leggings matching colors of boots, to be made of smooth leather or leather-like material.>>

So this is like--riders at First and below--that's one sport, get as many as possible.
    Riders 2nd and above--that's where it gets serious and needs a real dress cose.

Im not saying bad/good, just saying my perspective here.

<< Extra proposal : whips-- whips will return to 47.2 inches or 120 cm as they used to be.>>
    Well, hell's bells, why not just dumb it down completely and let them ride in jeans and tennies? I hope this does not pass. Oh my gawd, it's just like when they dumbed down hunters to include such stellar divisions as low low ammy crossrail long stirrup cavaletti.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    Why can't people just buy boots? I love my half chaps and I'm all for getting more people involved, but one needs to respect the traditions. I think there should be the same dress code for all the levels.

Ahh, some people only dabble in dressage. They want to go to one show a year, or two, and do some *ring* work. Get out and have a fun day. All is not serious for all people. Why not let them wear half chaps, they are perfectly lovely in the boot shape, and after all it is the horse we are judging not apparel. Is it not better to have a great ride than a great pair of boots?
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

Ok, whatever.......... whatever floats their boats.
    Maybe making it easier and more financial easier for some to "get there feet wet!?"
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    lol, I think I ride better without tall boots. I like the feel and sensitivity
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think I'm with Coreene. I hate the idea of half-chaps, I don't even like to see people schooling in them, maybe I'm more of a DQ than I realized .

If they want to attract more people and make things easier and more affordable, maybe they could find a way to make things a little cheaper, like all of the different membership fees and horse registrations etc.?

Besides, I can see it now, soon there will be a thread asking if it is okay to wear a tophat or a derby with halfchaps, lol.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

I don't see any problem with this, the half chaps make it easier for someone to give the dressage show thing a try, without having to invest in an expensive pair of boots.

What is wrong with that?

I just can't agree with that. I'm by NO means a DQ, but I believe that half chaps should be saved for the schooling shows. If you are going to show up at a recognized dressage show, you should be wearing your "Sunday best". I think it does come down to tradition. And with all of the fees and organization registrations, etc. boots are really the least of my expense worries! Now it's not like I would scoff if someone showed up in half chaps. If they change the rule, then that's that. I would not be upset, I would just choose to continue to wear my dress boots.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    If they want to attract more people and make things easier and more affordable, maybe they could find a way to make things a little cheaper, like all of the different membership fees and horse registrations etc.?
    I completely agree with this statement. I kinda like the idea of looking formal for recognized shows. Half chaps are for schooling shows

I think a great deal of the pleasure that some people gain from dressage is the "stuff" that they collect in the process. The more stuff you have and the more expensive it is the better you fit in.
    If you care about the sport and you care about bringing in people that would otherwise feel priced out then you would be for this change. If a person is not sure that they want to "do" dressage but would like to try it out might come if they could get the outfit together for less than a paycheck. If showing is about good riding and correct training of horses then who cares if people wear half chaps?
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    Although, I have to agree with this statement too. It should be a natural first approach to cutting costs.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Blech - I hope that does not pass.

As far as people wanting to dabble in dressage and not take it so seriously - that's what schooling shows are for! It does not take a ton of money (relative to the horse world, of course) to wear decent show clothes for a recognized competition.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Welllllllllll........

I don't like 'traditional' half chaps.........

BUT...

The leather gaiter and boot system is very nice....

and IMHO it DOES NOT distract the picture from a good horse and rider team.

Cheers...Tami

I KNOW!

why don't they just have Poor People Dressage Shows and Rich People Dressage Shows?

oh, but I guess then they'd have to make divisions for Grade Horses that cost less than $1,000 and Imported German Horses that cost over $100,000.00