The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default proposed rule changes -#1

Here are 2 proposed rule changes for dressage suggested by the USEF dressage committee:

#1. << Effective Dec 1, 2009, riders at Third Level and above must be eligible according to qualification criteria established by the Federation's dressage committee.>>

My dubiousness comes from allowing the committee to decide on the criteria with NO input /NO voting from members.

Who is going to be in charge of the databank (ie who is paying for) that keeps track os scores etc? This will affect every 2nd level rider in the US who competes at recognized competitions.

Who is getting to decide who gets grandfathered in?

Perhaps they could at least let us in on their decisions as to what scores will be necessary.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Their current database is a piece of crap. And now they want to add qualifying criteria to it????? Good luck moving up to 3rd!

Gotta love it. Ya have to cough up $$ every year to be the member of an organization that makes decisions without a single vote from the membership.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Their current database is a piece of crap. And now they want to add qualifying criteria to it????? Good luck moving up to 3rd!
    I agree. There is so much wrong with the collected data that its seems hard to control anything!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

If they implemented it at Fourth Level, instead of Third Level, they could just use the Bronze medal for qualification, and not have to worry with a bunch of extra record keeping and data collection. The Bronze medal is pretty straightforward and easy to understand.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

but getting that medal means you must compete a LOT (to me!) so that would shut out those with limited fund. hmmmmm.

So basically they want to make dressage riders meet criteria from 3rd level and above? that shuts out most adult amateurs in America anyway. good luck getting to 2nd with the level of instruction available.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    #1. << Effective Dec 1, 2009, riders at Third Level and above must be eligible according to qualification criteria established by the Federation's dressage committee.>>
    Who is going to be in charge of the databank (ie who is paying for) that keeps track os scores etc?
    So TPTB don't have a problem spending the $$$ to establish a data bank to keep track of 2nd Level scores...

But establishing a data bank to link pedigree + performance is too costly and labor intensive?

I guess they are looking at what benefits the organization short term...rather than the long term benefit of establishing a data base that will help advance the breeding of American bred performance horses.

I forsee very small classes above second level. Heck, they are small now, they will be miniscule in the future. I especially love that they still haven't decided what the qualifications will be. Just the straw that may keep paying members from being paying members.

Quote Originally Posted by feisomeday View Post
    but getting that medal means you must compete a LOT (to me!) so that would shut out those with limited fund. hmmmmm.
    Not really, just 6 scores. For most people doing 1 level per year, that's 1 or 2 shows per year.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    If they implemented it at Fourth Level, instead of Third Level, they could just use the Bronze medal for qualification, and not have to worry with a bunch of extra record keeping and data collection. The Bronze medal is pretty straightforward and easy to understand.
    Great idea with minimum expense and human power involved!

I don't get it. If you're willing to pay the fees and show at whatever level and possibly make a fool of yourself, who cares?
    So, if I decided I didn't care about showing at lower levels (true), but might want to show 4th or PSG one day---I'd have to spend lots of time and $$ to show at lower levels first??? Sure makes me want to renew my membership...

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    Not really, just 6 scores. For most people doing 1 level per year, that's 1 or 2 shows per year.
    That's assuming one gets a qualifying score each and every ride.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

perhaps they should amend the proposal to exclude the amatuers rather than eroding the base of support in the usdf/usef
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

That's how they do it in Holland, you have to get a 55% to get 1 point, (60 for 2 and 65 for 3 I believe
    ) by 10 points you can move up to the next level. (Used to be 5)
    I think it will be good for the sport, as you can't just go buy a GP horse and do a PSG test.

well yes, in Holland the top rider is a major celebrity - she's on the news for goodness sake - here, you have to explain to 99.9999999% of the public what "dressage" is
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Has nothing to do with Anky, having to be able to get decent scores to move up just means people won't fool themselves and overask their horses. If you have 10 points, at least the judge thinks you can handle the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by AndalusianMom View Post
    I don't get it. If you're willing to pay the fees and show at whatever level and possibly make a fool of yourself, who cares?
    So, if I decided I didn't care about showing at lower levels (true), but might want to show 4th or PSG one day---I'd have to spend lots of time and $$ to show at lower levels first??? Sure makes me want to renew my membership...
    I agree.

Plus, even if you have a rider qualify under their rules, that doesn't mean that the judges won't be shocked by a particular horse/rider pair.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

It’s not about the riders, but about correct training and wellbeing of horses. If riders have a hard time cracking 55% - it's too hard for a horse to do this level.

In that case these "qualifications" should be based on Horse/Rider teams?
    So Debbie McDonald would have to re-qualify each horse up the levels, just like Jane Doe?
    She would not be able to bring a horse out at PSG?

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Stupid idea, IMO. You don't raise the level of competency when you start in the middle of the pack. And, as others have said, that's a whole new database for USDF to screw up. Niiiiiice.

Why not just raise the qualifying scores for championships to something realistic? Or, make a rider have to "win out" of a level, as the hunters have to "win out" of some of their classes? Or, have a limit as to how many years one can be at the same level? I agree that something needs to be done to get the average rider to be more correct, but this isn't the way to go about it.

JMO.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/