The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default NOT Horrid neighbors-WE GOT OUR VARIENCE!!! 2 1/2 hours! SO many NICE neighbors!!

CHANGED TITLE!

Through this whole process, we have met so many of our neighbors and MOST--turns out 99%-- are supportive of us and they showed up to voice their opinion! It was such an emotional 3 hours many tears and amazement!!! NOT ONE OF THE NEIGHBORS CAME TO THE HEARING ThAT WAS OPPOSED to start with, BY THE WAY!

ALSO, the City is now enforcing new statutes and procedures so this won't happen to anyone else ever again!!!! THANK GOD!! I would never want this to happen to anyone!!! I have gained 20lbs and always felt "tight" and just so stressed---I finally slept in a very relaxed mind and body last night!

I'm excited and I'm glad that good prevailed over this evil mess! PRAISE GOD!

The person who doesn't want anymore horses--did not show up and all the horsey supportive---and non horsey owners DID show up and made this successful!! WE GET TO KEEP AND LIVE IN OUR HOUSE!!!

Thank you all so much for your kind words, your PM's that boosted me up, your prayers, jingles, positive thoughts and support. Even more than getting to keep our house, I'm so happy that the City was able to find ways to improve their system to prevent this to happen to anyone else. Hopfully, my troubles, saved many from having to go through this!

http://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/ca...x?caseid=34499

Hello,

HEY EVERY ONE, please delete my "quotes" that are in your response for me. PLEASE.

THANK YOU!! God Bless,

Deleting for obvious reasons.

I'll keep those posted that want to know. I'm so sad. things are still "bad".

Thanks so much for your support!
    Last edited by Horsecrazy27; Jan. 3, 2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Yikes! Fight it all you can. Good luck.

SO Sorry to hear about all of this! I can't even imagine. Best of luck in straightening this all out! ((((HUGS))))
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Around here I am pretty sure the county comes out and checks the distances before the slab is pored to be sure setbacks are incompliance. If your permits and regular checks/sign-offs by the inspectors are in order, you should make out OK.

O MY FREAKING GOD.. they are the ones that approved the plans, they should be the ones who ahve too make it right, or financially compensate you.
    And now the non-horsey neighbors?!? What a nightmare!!!! I am so sorry!
    Get an excellent laywer, fight the city, get your money back, and move far away from people. crap.

Geez...nice future neighbors...

Do you (or your lender, if you have one) have title insurance? Depending on the policy, it may give you another alternative for compensation if other avenues fail.
    Ride the Dragon

Something similar happened to a friend of mine, but in her case it was a beautiful new barn that was completed ... and then taken down and reassembled in a different location. She was 10 feet too close to conservation land.

Your surveyor is probably liable. Get a GOOD lawyer. Most towns will take a settlement and let you leave the house. It's generally less expensive than taking the whole structure down.

What a shame that you have to go through this.

Good luck!

Be very careful. This just happened in our town in Vermont. A house constructed by an award-winning architect (and now 94 year old woman) was found to be 15 feet too close to the lot line by a miserable neighbor. They have fought in the courts for YEARS (like 15 years!) and NOW the final result is that the have to tear down the house!!!!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Seriously, I just can't believe people. Wouldn't it be easier for all involved in situations like this, for the complainants to graciously say, "we will sell you the 15 feet of lot for $X, which is 15% higher than it's worth (but $XXXXX less than litigating or tearing everything down)."
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

the surveyor is probably liable. yes get a lawyer who deals in estate problems.

Great googly-moogly! Hope this gets ironed out in your favor. Building/contractor/county gov't stuff can be so infuriating. I know, we've been thru it. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Sounds like the surveyor's insurance is going to have to pay out some big bucks. Either that or if an inspector signed off on site the town is going to have to suck it up and shut up. Either way, what a nightmare.

I'm sorry. That just sucks. Definitely keep in touch with the county. Be VERY nice and ask what steps you need to take. Definitely worth calling an attorney. There should be a way to find out about similar cases in your County and what attorney handled them (successfully).

What a time you've had lately! Keep your chin up. We're hear to lend an ear (or eye) if you need to vent.

could try inviting them in and playing tactics game,,,
    withoutgiving to much detail away- be nice they might not be horsey and if you know that these people are the cuase of the problem and have been told by others
    then i would ask the others neighbour and make a list of complaints

then if evident it vindictive might have a case for the council to see it vitimisation of a certain privacy act ie
    try and find out what it is they bothered about - then you being woman use your brains and fght the good fight with knoweldge -- and not fisty cuffs- and remeber to smile so they dont see how they getting to you

theres lot s of cuases why people are like it and it could be that no one speaks tohem and they live a sad old world as the nasties so they behave nasty

if you get what i mean -- theres always cause to a problem once you knwo waht it is you can cure most of them

ie a horse spooks - but what can be the cuase,so many things but in general its lack of confidence in ridng the horse forwards so he ignores the object
    think horsey matey

So how much did the horse hating neighbors pay the inspectors to say the survey line was wrong? I'm ever cynical.

This situation sounds totally and completely sucky for you and I hope a good real estate lawyer can sort it out PDQ.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Quote Originally Posted by rescuemom View Post
    So how much did the horse hating neighbors pay the inspectors to say the survey line was wrong? I'm ever cynical.

This situation sounds totally and completely sucky for you and I hope a good real estate lawyer can sort it out PDQ.
    I have to say I am with you on this one.

20' is quite a bit to be off. It is hard to believe that was missed.

Ouch! what a mess. If you can get your money back I would almost start over somewhere else. I would have for your years to be miserable by these folks. Kinda hard to believe someone would go to such means to make your life hard without even knowing you???

Take a deep breath. Repeat.

Now, call your township ordinances department and explain the situation to them (I'm sure they're already in the mix) and ask them what you need to do to get the process of requesting an exception or amendment to the ordinances going. There's a term for this that escapes me at the moment.

I'm not sure what the "water in the fuel" bit was about??? Except it adds to the picture that you're in a panic over this. You MUST NOT panic. There are plenty of legal avenues open to you. Don't let anyone scare you off--nobody in their right mind is going to make you "tear down" a 3/4 of a million dollar house without a SERIOUS fight: not the builder, the developer, not the township.

Variance, that's the term--it was right there in the OP.

Wait until you're calm and in your right mind, then review the facts and call a lawyer. Good luck.
    Click here before you buy.

Unhappy Thank you ALL so much for your support!!!

Hello,

Deleting for obvious reasons.

I'll keep those posted that want to know. I'm so sad. things are still "bad".

Thanks so much for your support!
    Last edited by Horsecrazy27; Nov. 6, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: have to
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

So very sorry this is happening to you.. but on the bright side could you sic the crazy panty-less rider at your barn on them... let her pull a Lady Godiva on them ... You could say SEE AT LEAST I'M NOT LIKE THIS!!!(of course this is after this all gets straightened out and they cannot harrass you anymore... )
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!