The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far do you drive to hunt?

Reading someones post about the MFH ringing her to advise the hunt was cancelled and this saved her an 80 mile drive got me to thinking, how far away is the hunt where your subscription is? Do you have to make a trip to the stable to get your horse then head out??

My hunts kennels are 12 miles from my house, horses are in the backyard- it takes 15 minutes to get there. Next closest hunt is 37 miles from my house.

Just kinda curious to learn what efforts others have to make before even mounting up on a hunt day.
    Last edited by SLW; Nov. 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: a

In my area the hunts range from 3 miles to 40 miles from my barn, which is 5 minutes from my house.

The farthest hunts are about an hour's drive -- which can be tough to do on a weekday morning, given that the kids need to be safely on the school bus before I leave for the barn!

Unfortunately, the territory for the closer hunts is disappearing and the newer territories are definitely farther away .

My barn is 25 minutes from my house. Our fixtures range from 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours from the barn. And starting this season my daughter is riding with me on a borrowed horse, so we have to go to *his* barn too. So we got up at 3:45 am to make the furthest fixture.

Default long commute...

The nearest meet for me is from the kennels...53 miles. It takes me and hour and a quarter to get there.

The other fixtures are an hour and a half away.

No one to shares rides with, either.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

The closest fixture to me takes about 1:45 to get to. The furtherest fixture is close to a 3 hour drive. At least my horses live at home.

Default about an hour

twice in it's history our club has fled development to keep on hunting its first site in the deer-creek lowlands was split by a highway in 1958 bringing ever more development to the west-central st louis county. this was about as far out as my parents lived. the move back then was to the next farther out county. I was 12YO at the time and my sister was in to horses so I remember one of the last shows at the "IN" location. when I started to hunt [age mid 40s] the club had been long established in its 2nd home but 2 years ago, when the development reached us again http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/40752513 we had to move 35 miles further north so what took 25 minutes now takes an hour. that or no hunting, as most of the away fixtures are about an hour, except for http://www.mdc.mo.gov/areas/cnc/busch/map.htm this next to the former club area [but we only get permitted to hunt about 10 / year.] so it is an hour except for those 10 hunts when it is 20 minutes.
    more hay, less grain

101 miles to Cloudline... add about 40 more if I pick up my horse from the barn with gas prices now, sometimes I wonder why I go all the time.

when I'm at home MRH is 40ish miles away, horses are in my backyard

I keep my horses at home. The closest meet is 40 minutes away, the best country is 2 hours away ( and worth the drive). Most meets average about 1- 1 1/2 hrs away.
    \"Give me the fox that holds his point though fools and fate combine,
    Give me the hound that follows him with nose upon the line...\" W.H. Ogilvie

I'm 2 miles from the farm and 25 min. to 1 hour to all fixtures. Kennels are 20 min. from farm but we never hunt from there.
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

If I hunt with Reedy Creek, the ride is just short of an hour, but not by much. My horses are also at home so basically everything's loaded the night before, leaving me dressing myself and loading the horse in the morning.

The closest fixture for me when I hunt with Colonial is about almost two hours. It takes much longer to get to some of the other fixtures.

Dawglover, we should carpool some! Of course I'd have to ride with you because my trailer is too small for your horse, but we could at least split the gas! That's also if you don't mind an Arab in your trailer!

Oh, let me think...the closest meet to my house would be Red Rock's Eureka meet, a mere 365 miles away. Other Red Rock meets, or hunts in Wyoming, Colorado or Arizona...8 to 9 hour drive. Soooo, I typically don't go unless there are a few meets in a row to justify the driving.

Back in NC the meets were about 10-14 miles from our farm. Out here in Ok. the meets range from 60 to 90 miles away!! BIG difference!!! Now the 60 mile hunt is 80+ miles because of a detour on a major highway! Ugh! But then EVERYTHING is far away out here!!! 65 MPH on back roads and 75 MPH on highways, though! Of course diesel at $3.30/gallon hurts, too! Ya just can't win!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

We have several fixtures. The farthest is 3 hours one way from my house (also where the horses are) and the nearest is an hour and a half one wy. When I boarded I had a half hour drive to the barn first.
    When we got our own place it was such a treat to be able to hitch up the night before and sleep in that extra half hour!
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

OOooooh. Sorry folks. Meets are 0-10 minutes. All of them. Plus another dozen hunt clubs within 1 hour. Plus 2 farmer packs within 15 minutes.
    I feel the pain of shipping, though. Grew up in the Hillsboro Hounds territory south of Nashville, but just AFTER they stopped hunting the Brentwood fixtures and moved everythingn south an hour to Cornersville. So I recall well the 2 hour-ahead shipping down and well-after-dark returns home.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

For the hunt I'm with - closest fixture is ten minutes away. Farthest fixture is one hour. Lots of other local hunts close by as well. Several foot packs too.

The price of fuel is upsetting - I'd love to "carpool" with other hunters but none live near me. So - I just try and take the most direct route possible, and if I need to run an errand and can do it on a hunt day - I just take the horse with me. (Like picking up a prescription or going to the feed store, or getting gas or something).

My husband and I live in New York and hunt in Vermont. There's a pretty big lake between the two states (135 miles in length). Fortunately for us, we live ten minutes from a bridge that crosses over Lake Champlain and brings us into Vermont. We have 8 fixtures and the closest is 45 minutes drive while the farthest is 2 hours. The gas prices in Vermont are 10 to 15 cents cheaper so we always tank up before coming across state lines. It's becoming a pretty big part of our budget to hunt twice a week with the gas prices going up up up!

Closest is about 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, then about 25, then just over an hour. Feel very lucky that most are so close.

I'm a half hour drive to the barn.

Closest fixture from the barn is 15 minutes. The two most regular fixtures are one hour and 1 hr 45 minutes.

The hunt moved two years ago. I used to be hacking distance to three fixtures. It makes me sad but too much traffic and too many houses caused the hunt to move further out. The last day we hunted at our old club one of the hounds was hit by a car.

When I first hunted there all the roads around were gravel. Now they are all paved and people go 50 mph even though the speed limit is 35.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I have my horses at home. Our hunt has several fixtures, the closest is 30 minutes away but we seldom hunt there. My favorite is 2 1/2 hours away but sooooo worth it. Yesterday I capped with a hunt that is ten minutes away. Got to sleep in.

Boy, and here I've been jealous of all the foxhunters who live in Virginia and hunt country. I have my horses at home in New Jersey and belong to a hunt whose meets are generally 40 minutes away. There is another hunt we cap with 30 minutes and loads of PA ones about an hour and a half drive.