The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default first hunt...update!! I survived!!!

Okay, so i am going on my first hunt on saturday...but know pretty much....nothing. I have borrowed vest, coat, and stock tie. do i just wear tan breeches? what about as a shirt?

what do i need to know about the hunt itself? thanks guys!!
    Last edited by bhrunner06; Nov. 3, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

yes tan breeches. White shirt, actual stock shirt if available.

What hunt are you going out with?

Whatever person invited you should be helping you.

Beige or tan britches. Wear a white turtleneck under your stock tie- no one will know that it's not a $$ hunt shirt-( most folks wear turtlenecks).

For your first hunt:

Be at least 45 min early, even more if you don't tack the horse up at home. (Most folks saddle at home so only thing left to do is bridle). Once you get used to the routine, arriving 1/2 hour ahead of time is plenty. But on your first hunt, your're gonna be anxious- so allow plenty of extra time for finding those gloves, or your hairnet, or (heaven forbid) the bridle.

Groom your horse until he shines, braid his mane if this is a high holy day (Opening Meet hoildays) (and tail, to really do it right), and apply hoof conditioner as the last thing before leaving the barn.

As soon as you arrive at the meet, seek out the Hunt Secretary to pay your cap and sign the waiver. DO THIS FIRST- do not make the hunt sec come looking for you.
    Remember to say Good Morning to the MFH and the Huntsman, should you have the opportunity.

Find someone to "buddy up" with. If you havent already done this, ask the sec ( when you pay the cap- or even call her a few days before the meet) and ask if there is a member who is especially kind and willing to help out first timers. There is usually someone willing to do this.

Follow behind your mentor at a safe following distance ( if you cant see the horses' hooves in front of you , between your horses ears,you are too close,) 2-3 horse lengths is good.

Keep your horses' head towards the hounds- and if it's his first time around hounds, just try to steer clear of them during the opening remarks (before hounds move off),
    It is considered a cardinal sin for a horse to kick a hound.

Hounds ALWAYS have right of way.

Be quiet while hunting. Save the socializing for the hunt breakfast afterwards. It is rude to talk while hounds are trying to hunt.

Immaculately clean tack, a neat turnout for horse & rider ( Do not forget the hairnet for you, leave jewelry at home, and the barest touch of makeup, if any)), and staying quiet during the hunt will go a long way to making a good impression . If you can find a hunt member to buddy up with, you will have a good time and can be assured of not having any faux pas. :-)

And - most important- just remember to have fun and...breathe ;-)

There's a whole lot more- try to pick up a copy of Foxhunting in America by Wadsworth (Some hunt secretaries keep copies of this soft cover booklet). But the above mentioned are the most important, IMO.

- a former Hunt Secretary, (who spent a lot of time chasing down guests and new members to get signatures on waivers and collect caps) :-0
    \"Give me the fox that holds his point though fools and fate combine,
    Give me the hound that follows him with nose upon the line...\" W.H. Ogilvie

JSC's recommendations were excellent. While I do not have the appropriate horse to hunt now, I have done a few and you will have a blast. On my first hunt a whip from another hunt approached me and commented on how well I had done on my first hunt. I explained that most importantly I was on my most behaved horse and secondly I followed my most favorite advise "LOOK UP AND SHUT UP

Have a blast!

thanks guys!! im going out with the Rocky Fork Headly Hunt in ohio. i am quite excited, i am not taking my horse as he would FREAK out, so im borrowing one that i love! my trainer is taking me and another girl out, and yes, she is helping with everything, just wanted more advice! thanks!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

You'll have a blast with Rocky Fork. And very pretty country as well.

2ndyrgal....yes, very pretty country! i have been out before where the hunt is....just on a trail ride, but never on the actual hunt!

my trainer (who is taking me) is still looking for a coat for me to wear (she has one, just has to locate it) and has a tweed for me to wear to the brunch.

any last minute pointers? thanks guys!

i did it! i survived! and it was the COOLEST most fun thing i have ever experienced! I can not wait to go out again!!! it was just amazing!! we went with the first group, so we jumped everything and it was a BLAST! got on the scent of one fox, but nothing big...,but lots and lots of fun!!

So happy you had fun!

Posts like yours really make me want to be able to hunt someday!!!!!!!

Proud Mom of Eryn and Vivienne

It is exciting, isn't it? I could never stand to ride in an arena, and now that I've hunted there's no way I ever could.

Will you be able to join, and hunt regularly? I joined my first hunt this year, and hope that I can go out once a week.

Congrats!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

I wish I had found this post a few days earlier! I just went on my first hunt on Wednesday and I am glad to see I am not the only person who gets first time jitters! I was terrified I would mess something up! Glad you had fun!

Victoria

myeqstinks Guest

I just went on my first hunt about a month ago at Radnor Hunt and it was so much fun! i was worried about surviving because i usually show hunters every weekend. Everyone was great and i had sooooo much fun! we saw three foxes-- i hope to do it again soon! heres a pic over the first jump-- enjoy!
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...e90/snooty.jpg