The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Slaughter

Tonight, A cattle truck carrying 59 horses ran a red light on Hwy 41 at Wadsworth Road (In Illinois near the Wisconsin Boader). The trailer flipped over and that is where my nightmares begin. I arrived before any horses had actually been removed from the trailer and immediately got in line to help assist the fallen equines. Almost all were dragged from the trailer on their side and soaked in sweat/blood and in total shock. Volunteers brought blankets, halters and leads so equipment was on hand but nothing prepared us for how the horses came out. Even sadder was the fact that almost all appear to be young yearling draft horse crosses that had barely started their life and now were going to a place to end it.

I will spear all the details but can tell you that there were many faces that I recognized and knew along with 5 vets covered in sweat doing everything possible to help these equines. I can also tell you that I lost count of the number of dead but I estimate it at around 15 and the remaining were sent to a local horse dealers farm as a place for shelter, food and water. I stood with firemen that guarded one of the last horses to stand and were not willing to let the vets put it to sleep. They picked it up, held it up and it was the last horses that I happily unloaded at Farms for the evening.

Here is the best part. The person that owns the farm and his wife are at Congress and do not know that they now host some 40+ young, badly battered equines at their farm. Hopefully their son-in-law will still be in good graces when they return home:-)

I have never experienced something as tragic as this and hope to never again. Please contact the Hooved Human Society in Illinois and ask them to step in and protect these poor horses so they cannot be reclaimed and reshipped for their original destination. I beg you please, help! You can email them at: info@hahs.org and ask they to step in and prevent any additional harm to these animals!

What an awful story VP. Sounds like there is a wonderful group of people there and I hope you, your comrads in tragedy and the remaining youngsters are doing as well as can be expected today.

Oh no. Not another awful cattle truck accident with horses crammed in there. Are there any news links?

This just makes me sick. Obviously last years tragedy did not teach anyone a thing. What a pity. Please keep us posted, our rescue is available to help if needed.

news link .. http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=66005

Horses killed in crash
    Truck carrying 59 animals flips near Wadsworth
    By Russell Lissau | Daily Herald Staff
    Contact writer

Published: 10/28/2007 9:34 AM

A semitrailer truck hauling 59 horses collided with another vehicle and flipped onto its side Saturday night near Wadsworth, police said, injuring and killing many of the animals inside.

"We've got a lot of dead horses," Lake County sheriff's police Sgt. Curt Gregory said.

Rescue efforts were difficult because the crash left the doors leading to the horses inaccessible, Gregory said. Authorities were working late Saturday night to cut the trailer open, a time-consuming process, police said.
    Additionally, rescuers were struggling to remove the injured horses because many dead horses were on top of them, police said.

The accident happened shortly before 7 p.m. as the truck was headed to the Minneapolis area from Indiana, Gregory said. It was carrying young Belgian draft horses.

The semitrailer was traveling north on Route 41 when it was struck by a pickup truck headed west on Wadsworth Road, Gregory said.
    One of the vehicles ran a red light, but authorities were not immediately sure which driver was at fault, Gregory said.

The semitrailer driver lost control of his vehicle after the crash, police said. It jumped the median and then flipped onto its right side, blocking northbound and southbound traffic on Route 41.

Area horse and stable owners were called in by firefighters to help remove the animals from the scene in their own trailers, police said. It was not immediately known how many horses were hurt or killed.

The pickup driver was taken to an area hospital by an ambulance, police said. No one else was hurt.

Firefighters from the Newport Township Fire Protection District were on the scene, but officials with the department could not be reached for comment Saturday night.

No other details were available Saturday night as police continued investigating the crash and crews worked to remove the horses.

There are photos of the truck - after righting, with the top cut open - at
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...s?msg=16294.25

You may want to specify more in your post.
    I thought you were trying to start another slaughter discussion here.

The same happened on the highway by us many years ago, where a load of standarbred race horses overturned.

Some horses died right then, others had to be cut out of the wreckage and were severely injured and others were lucky and had superficial injuries.

We cared for some of those horses for months, before they were sound enough again for travel.
    Those were extremely sweet horses to tend to.

Accidents are terrible, no matter where or how they happen.

Good luck to all that made it in this wreck.

The update is this:

All 44 surviving horses are being held at a farm in Wadsworth, Illinois. The young stock are PMU horses that were sent to an Amish auction in Indiana and were no sales. They were loaded on one of four cattle trucks heading for the large breed auction in Minnesota.

The insurance agency has already visited the farm and is sending a truck to pickup these poor horses early in the week. They must be stopped.

I spoke with the Hooved Humane Society in Illinois and they do have room for these horses so we must find a way for them to take custody of them.

I saw the horses at 10AM this morning and all 44 were standing and two local vets have been out already this AM to help treat the injured. They are being held in a facility that is very caring and are receiving the best of care.

The newspaper articles are understated. There were 15 horses killed or put down at the scene and 44 are in being cared for at a local farm.

Angry Double Decker wreck.59 draught horses.IL.

How could they possibley get 59 draught horses in a double decker.

Normally I hear about these atrocities here on COTH.

I have received e-mails today about this wreck,apparently 9-12 horses killed.

Anyone know the facts on this story.

I stupidly thought double deckers were banned from carrying 2 levels of horses on them.
    Last edited by fernie fox; Oct. 28, 2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: sp.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by fernie fox View Post
    I stupidly thought double deckers were banned from carrying 2 levels of horses on them.
    It's been pointed out many, many times here that the law banning double deckers for horse transport only specifically banned them from transporting horses directly to slaughter. It's still legal to use them to ship horses to sales (as in this case) and other purposes.

Maybe all the folks pointing this out were on everyone's ignore lists.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

See my posting under horse case - Slaughter.

I was there. 15 horses were killed/put down. They were all young stock. It was aweful and yet, this was one of 4 trailers.

Lori Stevens

---"The insurance agency has already visited the farm and is sending a truck to pickup these poor horses early in the week. They must be stopped."---

WHY would you want to stop anyone from retrieving their own horses?

Quote Originally Posted by vpstevens View Post
    See my posting under horse case - Slaughter.

I was there. 15 horses were killed/put down. They were all young stock. It was aweful and yet, this was one of 4 trailers.

Lori Stevens
    I understand that you are very upset.
    It is tragic to be at the scene of an accident, especially one involving so many horses killed.

Still, that is no reason to try to flood forums with animal right agenda thrown it there, like "saving" the horses from the insurance, etc. in the name of relating the news.

I hope those alive will be ok.

OP- it is obvious how slanted you are on the slaughter issue by the way you chose to post this. Please be sure next time you post something to post the facts as they are printed, not as you choose to see them. The article stated that neither driver had been sighted for being at fault yet on this, although they were sure one of them had ran a red light. You posted it was the cattle truck that ran the redlight, and that is not a fact at this time. Also- why on earth would you stop some one from picking up their own horses? Horrible accidents happen every day, not just with people hauling horses to a sale in a double decker trailer- which is legal to do for this particular purpose.

These thinly-veiled anti slaughter posts do very little to change the minds of those of us who are ambivalent on the topic, but they DO escalate the level of irritation and undermine the credibility of the anti-slaughter "lobby".

I also don't understand why an insurance company that is doing its job on behalf of its policy holders "must be stopped".
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckydonkey View Post
    neither driver had been sighted
    I think you mean "cited." I doubt either of the drivers was actually blind (i.e. not "sighted"), though it makes you wonder...

Poor babies.

That is a double decker isn't it? The pics are pretty fuzzy but it looks like a two level rig. I can't help but think that a rig like that must be very top heavy especially with horses that are taller than cattle or pigs crammed in there. As often as they seem to wreck you'd think someone would wise up.

People wonder where some of the glut of horses is coming from in the US...well here is one source...4 truckloads of PMU draft babies that are byproducts of the pharmaceutical industry being hauled in and sold in auctions here in the US. I wonder if those babies came in from Canada.

I have to give their owners at least some credit for attempting to sell them to someone before just shipping them straight to slaughter. I know of large ranches who do exactly that with young stock.

And, of course you have no agenda here, do you Bluey?
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Default oops- spelling errors abound,lol

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I think you mean "cited." I doubt either of the drivers was actually blind (i.e. not "sighted"), though it makes you wonder...

Poor babies.
    Yep- that is exactly what i meant....