The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Western NC riders?

Hey all, I'm new to this site. Just wondering if there are any other members local to Western North Carolina...

We mostly do trail riding and camping, but this weekend we are going to join in a Hunter Pace. Should be fun.

Hope to meet some new ppl.

Where exactly are you? Trail riding isn't my main thing, but I do go to Biltmore occasionally. Otherwise, I haven't ventured out in the wilds by myself.

Which hunter pace are you doing?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm about an hour south of Asheville... I see you are in College-ville. I'm about 10 min away

I mostly do trail riding in the Park.

The Hunter Pace is in Tryon, nc.

What sort of riding do you do?

Are you doing the hunter pace at FENCE? We had talked about going to play. Nothing like a romp through the woods and playing in the water complex. Although, now my horse is injured so it looks like I won't be making it. Great ride though and well worth the trip!!!

I just saw this post. We are in Simpsonville, SC but do all of the Western North Carolina Hunter paces. The one on Sunday was a blast. Did you go?

Terry
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson

YES... we did the one on Sunday! It was our first one! We had an absolute blast!
    I don't think I'll be making the one at FENCE (I've got to go get a helmet) I should have one for the next one at Biltmore though. I need to go try some one as I have no idea what size I would need. We've got a camping trip this weekend so I won't have time to buy one. I'll slip away from work next week and pick one up.

I'm so glad I found their website on the H/P.

Our horses did great. We got to the finish line and the horses had hardly worked up a sweat! They are used to all day mtn. rides. I was so proud of them. They didn't booger at anything, didn't flinch at all the decorations. They just kept a steady forward pace.

I keep checking the site to see the pix of us. I did take some w my camera, but I would like to see how the prof. ones came out!

Do you think you'll be riding at the Bilmore one?

Pictures are still not up. It generally takes Lou several days to get all of them up. He does a pretty good job.

Yes we do plan to be at Biltmore. Lou normally takes pictures by the Lagoon so you have the house in the background. They are pretty neat.

We will have to meet. I ride a 16-3hh ottb and my husband has a 17-2hh Belgian/Thoroughbred cross. He's kind of hard to miss.

Oh we'll def. have to meet up.

I ride a B/W Spotted Saddle horse. I 'think' I remember seeing a Belgian/TB type looking beastie..LOL Course there were quite a few draftie crosses.

I've only riden at Biltmore, once before. I don't think we made it to the lagoon. Should be a really nice ride! At least it's really close to home.

Default North Carolina

Hi. I am new here also. I live in Connelly Springs, NC, which is close to Hickory on one side, and Morganton on the other.

I love to trail ride. Here are some pictures I took on a trail ride near our home.
    This is just some trails near our home, no cost, no leader, no nothing. Just go at your own risk. Lots of trails.

One time we rode for 4 hours, and still did not ride all the trails. You can only go some places with a 4 wheeler, or a horse.

Also, I have heard about a place called Love Valley where they have trails to ride. We are going in about 2 weeks.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...es/Trails8.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/Trails13.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/Trails11.jpg
    Last edited by debbienc; Nov. 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: forgot something

When you all come to the Tryon area, look me up. Some of the paces are held literally right at the corner of my road!
    Just email me at marydellfarms@aol.com for directions.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    Last edited by Marydell; Nov. 11, 2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Hey NC Trail Girl, hope to see you today on the pace. Here is a link to the picture of us so you can recognize us.

http://www.wchpace.org/Photos_02.asp?Photo_ID=2788

Bill has to remember to smile when he sees Lou.

Marydell I am trying to figure out where your place is. Are you near Carol Anne farm or Born Free? That whole area is so beautiful.

Also were you and Don Principle in Lexington in September for the Markel Developing horse program? I recognize his name from somewhere. What a beautiful horse. I will email you for directions. Would love to see him in person.

Terry

L&H, hope you enjoyed the last ride. We didn't make it.

I found our pix from the GC ride in Oct.:
    http://www.wchpace.org/Photos_02.asp?Photo_ID=2746

I showed the pix of you two to my DH, and said he rembered your DH. Mine didn't ride, he was my 'pit crew'...LOL

I plan on riding at Biltmore this weekend (fingers crossed the rain moves out). I'm sure I'll see ya's there.

Anyone else going this weekend?

Oh, Debbie, did you enjoy your visit to Love Valley? We go a couple times a year. We always go for our annual Easter trip and then try get over there again in the Fall. Hope you had a great time!

We do plan to go to Biltmore if it's not rained out. Bill called to make reservations for lunch and the girl he talked to felt certain they would move to the rain date. Either way we will be there and on the look out for you.

Terry

Well we went and had a blast!

We parked at the day use area on the left before you turn to go to the arena. We rode at about noon time.

I don't think we saw you guys. Course we had our heads down to the wind and rain..LOL

We got home and it looked like I had a sunburn on my face!

But we had a goot time and are trying to figure out if we want to drive the 2 hrs to the next one! It looks like it's the last one for this year and I hate to wait until Feb. for the next one!

How'd you guys do?

We came in 30 min too early.. the horses were eager to get back to the trailers...heehehhe

Rockin Kgin Guest

Default Trail riding in NC

NC Trail Girl;
    Try this site. It'll give you a lot of info and put you in touch with LOTS of riders (http://forum.nchorsenews.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2).

Thank you so much.

I've sent my info in for registration. Hope to meet some new NC riders. The site looks really busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Kgin View Post
    NC Trail Girl;
    Try this site. It'll give you a lot of info and put you in touch with LOTS of riders (http://forum.nchorsenews.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2).
    I may be remembering wrong, but didn't that site also start a Virginia section, since there were so many Virginian's lurking about? Or was that another NC site? I had it bookmarked on my old computer...it was more helpful to folks closer to the NC border, but it had good trail info.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Just giving this a gently bump back to the top.

The riding season is picking back up!

I hope to get to meet some more new ppl this year
    All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can - words of wisdom!

Just want to put a reminder up... We have a club ride tomorrow at Tow String. Just wanted to make a quick post in case anyone is in the area. Ready to ride at 9:30 am.

See ya's there !
    All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can - words of wisdom!