The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Aiken Event Horse Sale

If you had a horse for sale, and Aiken was within a reasonable distance to you, would you consider it?

What price range of horse would you take to a sale like that?

Would you only take a fancy prospect or upper level horse, or would a nice novice/training packer be realistic to take?

Its an interesting and appealing idea, but as a seller, a $225 'entry' fee plus the requirement to provide a full set of films is a little daunting. I know that is standard for a sale, but I've never been to one and wonder about the benefit of making that much of an 'investment' in my advertising by attending a sale.

Experiences? Thoughts?

http://www.aikeneventhorsesale.com/index.html

Default Aiken sale

Yes, I'd go and I'd take whatever really good youngster or baby I had. The fees might be a little high for you, but the exposure of your horse is also quite high. I have known of a couple horses sold later because a trainer with client had earlier seen them at one Aiken opportunity or another, but because of the fees, I'd take only my best.

I'm a little put off by the $125 fee for buyers plus signing a certificate of funds available to buy. What if you're a legitimate tire kicker who just wants a look see? Those people have feelings, too!

Seriously, it will be interesting to see if it takes off and what that says about the evolution of eventing/eventers.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

THat looks like it would be very convenient and a lot of fun! I forwarded the link to my trainer to see if she has any clients who are interested.
    Grab mane and kick on!

Definately interested in attending. Fantastic idea. I'd like to see a range of horses and prices - something for everyone. I don't mind the $125 fee for viewing or $225 for selling. However I'd like to go to this inaugural event to watch in 2008...so don't like that we have to produce a Certificate of Available Funds.

I'm considering taking my coming 3 year old pinto warmblood, but am a little daunted by the $225 and full set of rads. But considering it won't cost much more than a weekend show plus it'll get her some good exposure I may do it if she's not sold by then. It sounds like it might be a bit of a "swank" affair, almost invitation only - if you can prove that you can purchase a horse, you can come. I will, by far, be the least swank person there! I'd also like to know how to put a "No Haggle" price on your horse. Isn't that part of buying and selling - the haggling?

Oops, I'm trying to turn the cocktail party into a gypsy haggling campfire! See, I told you I wasn't Swank!

Longleaf - that's the same thing I've been thinking...the cost of taking my sale horse is the same as an event, give or take, depending on how many xrays they want. But I worry about being 'outclassed' with a novice/training packer in a sea of uber-nice horses as twinkletozz alludes to.

Yeah...I will have to think on it. I have a 5 year old gelding that I'm selling. I like that it is not an auction. But not sure if it will be worth it for him. I would worry about who buys him. I'm only selling him because I have too many horses and who buys him and the home he goes to is as important to me (if not more) then his sale price. So the more I'm thinking about...the more I think I would not do it. I want to be able to say nope....don't think you are the right match for him. He is a character and I want him to go to someone who will have fun with him and call me if things are not going well.

I will need to look in to it some and check out the details.....like can I say no to a buyer. But it is an interesting concept....and one as a BUYER, I love.

I may plunk the money down and go, just for the education of it all. ..You never know when you will be buying or selling. I will be interested to see the pricing of individual horses and if buyer's are willing to pay these prices. It seems like a great idea.

It would be a lot of fun to go to - easy for me to say several hundred miles away and not in the market for a horse, but if it was local it would be a fun thing to just go see. And if I did have a horse for sale or wanted to buy it would be a really cool idea.

Here's a question for ya'll. How far would you travel to a sale such as this if you didn't have to pay a buyers fee? IE would you fly to the opposite coast for a sale like this if you could preview the horses online and didn't have to pay?
    For all your dog needs visit:
    www.milliondollarmutt.com

Default wait and see

I'll see how things go with the market, if I haven't sold this horse as things get closer, I'll consider it, I think the number of films required will be the deal breaker, those can really add up if they require multiple views, but then again, if I haven't sold him by then, the attraction of having access to so many (hopefully, not sure of the numbers they are expecting) potential buyers.

I appreciate the responses. I just didn't want to be showing up with a horse who was not appropriate for the market.

I was also wondering what the price range on the horses will be....and what type they are.

Anyone know how the commissions are working with this sale? I would think as a seller, I would include the commission I would pay my trainer as part of the sale price and the buyer would have to pay commissions to its own representative. Or do you think the haggling will still take place but instead it will be on who pays what commisions?

I can't wait until February! I would LOVE to go!

For buyers, the fee of $125 includes lunch and a cocktail party and you can have a guest.

I've paid more on tickets for benefits with no horses in sight.

I think it's a really neat idea.

Don't forget that as a buyer, you have films available to you - thus cutting the cost of the prepurchase substantially. That's a huge incentive to me, though it does to my mind disincentivize sellers because it shifts costs (I assume they'd ramp up the sale price accordingly).

I'd prefer to have some sense ahead of time of what would be offered for sale: if I'm in the market for, say, a young riders horse, I'd be irritated if I paid my $125 and all there was for sale was fancy five year olds.

Sounds like fun, I have a pretty fancy rising 4 yo who might be a candidate. I guess like others I would like to get an idea of what kind of horses there will be, and of course how many radiographs! That could get pricey. But this is going to be a pricey 4 yo too, and the exposure would be good.

Jennifer

Default What about the REAL babies?

I have a coming 3 yr old filly who is homebred and getting nicer by the day. She has been backed, but probably wont be doing much as far as jumping, OR flat work by Feb. Any thoughts?

Alos have a couple coming yearlings...would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get them sold to sport horse homes early in hopes that they are developed into world class eventers. Are they only consigning horses of riding age? Or is there going to be interest in the "Future event horses" as well?

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

I am planning on taking my now 3 will be 4yo to the sale. I believe they are willing to allow any age horse in as long as you are willing to put up the entry fee. There should be all price ranges available. My guy will be very reasonably priced. I believe there will be a jog so they should be handled enough to jog in hand and maybe lunge so folks can see them move. I will contact Craig and see if there is an age limit or not.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    I'd prefer to have some sense ahead of time of what would be offered for sale: if I'm in the market for, say, a young riders horse, I'd be irritated if I paid my $125 and all there was for sale was fancy five year olds.
    Me too! Like grzywinskia was saying, it would be nice to view the horses on-line before hand with prices so a buyer has an idea of what they are in for. It does sound like a really neat concept though. I'm glad they're doing it & I hope it goes well and sticks around.

To OP (or anyone else who can answer):

I never even heard of this; how did you know it was going on?