The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    If garters would be a nice formal touch - please advise. I don't have a loop on the back of my boots but can get one added if necessary.

Soooo - if quarter marks would result in a Hunt Country Smackdown, then perhaps y'all could offer some other ideas?
    Quarter marks *are* proper. Just because you don't see them much anymore doesn't make them less so. But, as others mentioned, it's pretty much impossible to do them on a freshly-clipped horse.

To really pull off garter straps, you need to have buttons on your britches too (garter goes between the 3rd and 4th button). But since pre-buttoned britches are hard to find (unless vintage or you're sewing some on), and you want to still use them even if you don't have a loop on your boots, just buy an extra pair of spur straps for garters and make it "look" like you have the loop.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Ooh. Now you've got me thinking dangerous thoughts. May be called upon to be part of an honor guard when the Gov. unveils the new Utah quarter in November. Horse isn't clipped...must ponder some art...beehive? Golden Spike? I'm not going the clipping route though, may just try that sugar water approach if I can figure out how to do a good stencil.