The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmmm, in dressage terms:

Talking will get you penalty points or rather, a stern look from your field master. However, many a "WHOA...DAMMIT" has echoed from various points in the field when on a good run!
    : )

Prompt off the aids is good, except when there is a lovely, large open green field in front of your TB. And you need to get out of the way of a whip flying up behind you and making a left turn over the landbridge. Ummm, I did stop said TB after only a few hundred feet across the field!
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

Talking Yeppers!

SLW- you got it! That "relaxation" thing that I've never knew the name of is most certainly a well practiced dressage movement. And it takes WORK to get to that place too!! And a wonderfully addictive feeling it is! Usually followed by the "how the heck am I ever gonna get outa this truck" thing (don't know the name- maybe "paralysis"?!!) that you feel when you finally arrive home afterwards. Does this inability to move have a german sounding name?!!

Piafe - entire fields of horses have been known to exhibit this movement when the hounds hit and huntsman blows gone away sometimes followed by 1 tempi changes at the canter or canter piaffe (is there such a thing? All I know is one of mine does it frequently...) or canter pirrouette.

Wonderful recount of your first time out! More than anything, I want to be brave enough to go out with the hounds one day...but for now it is simply awesome just listening to great tales like yours.

Have fun....some of us are living vicariously through you!

Proud Mom of Eryn and Vivienne

What a hoot!!! I'm forwarding this whole thread to one of my students - a born and raised show hunter rider who is going hunting for the first time on Thursday. Your accounting of the ride was delightful - especially to an old foxhunter!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma