The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Cool Extreme Makeover: Home Edition--Therapeutic Riding Center!

How cool is this??

http://www.ctextremedream.com

OO that IS cool!! Is that going to be on THIS sunday?? Id like to watch that one...

VERY cool!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Probably not on THIS Sunday, 10/28. They were here in Mpls to do a house last month and it won't air until sometime in November. I didn't see an actual estimate of the airdate in the construction site info, but if I run into one, I'll post it!

Awesome!!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

They belong to my sons Pony Club!! I heard that it wouldn't air until January.

Bravo~!
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

awesome!!!
    Dreaming in Color

Very cool! Thanks for posting, Freebird!
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique COMH Page: Tory Relic

Wonderful! I always wonder though what are the ramifications of such a makeover. I read somewhere that sometimes people had to sell their new house because they could not afford the increase in taxes due to the reno. Does anyone know what happens after if the homeowners do not have an income high enough to pay those increased taxes? The barn looked fine to me though... very functional and in good condition... but I guess it would not have the "right" look?
    I hope it works out for them ..

Briefly the way it is handled so the family that gets the house doesn't lose everything is:

Under the IRS code if you rent the house to someone (in this case the production company) for 30 days or less any improvements are not taxed, and I'm hoping in the case of furniture donations that they are included under improvements. However the increased value of the property makes the property taxes go up-usually someone such as the builder or the local community pays off the mortgage, and raises money to pay for utility bills, and property taxes. And it might be different in the case of the riding center since I assume it's a legitimate registered charity-that part I don't know about.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/index

They post the home that they are airing the next two Sundays here. Not sure where to find a extended list of future shows for them though.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

This is the Freedom Hills Therapeutic Riding Center in Port Deposit, MD, that is being made over and I believe the work is going on right now - you can even contribute to it yourself. For more info, check out these links:

http://www.freedomhills.org/news/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,5668537.story

http://www.cecilchamber.com/PDF/10-1...r%20letter.pdf

My daughter told me about this - she used to substitute teach (riding) there sometimes. Supposedly the mother & children were sent on a trip to Italy while the makeover was being done! I'm sure no one deserves this more than Rene. She is really funny - used to come to the cross-country schooling nights at Middletown Pony Club years & years ago (1999 - 2001, maybe?) & her stories about her experiences with horses can be a hoot. I used to see Rene & her sister at horse trials, also.

Thanks for the info. I don't usually watch the show but will make a point to see this episode.

That's so awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for when that episode airs!

I rode there as a kid (1990-1992 maybe?) and came back for a lesson on my mom's old horse in 98 or so.

Anyone know if a black TB lesson horse names Bobbaloo is still there?
    Laura

There isn't a horse named Bobbaloo there now. My friend trims the horses there, and I trim the ones she doesn't like to handle (the big ones that lean and the smaller ones that kick). I'd remember if there were a horse named Bobbaloo.

Kate is still there (retired now), Lucinda, Blondie, Maggie, Nina, Apples (retired), and a few others. If you list the names, I'll tell you if they are still there. Sadly, a few were put down when they became too old and unsound to be comfortable.

They were here in Washington doing one last month and it's scheduled to air in January, so maybe this will be shown around that time.

Can't wait to see the TR makeover.

This is great! The extreme-makeover people did a house right in my area about three years ago, for a family who had a disabled child in a wheelchair. I didn't know what was going on until after they had finished. Coincidentally, the house was on route to my barn, so the road was closed for about ten days. I figured they were redoing the road or the sewer lines or something. The next time I went to the barn and the road was open, I did a HUGE doubletake - my daughter and I whipped around and said "What the H%%^? Where did that brand-new house come from??"

Then it was in the local newspaper the next week, so we knew we weren't hallucinating!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry