The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Well, I'm no fox-hunter, being geographically impaired and all, but I was reading this thread and thinking, "Atomic Fireballs, of course! Cinnamon Schnapps with a couple drops of Tabasco sauce."
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPointTrot View Post
    Yes. I relocated to Michigan. I experienced culture shock at finding liquor at grocery stores, gas stations and truck stops?! Whole different world out there from ABC land in Virginia.
    e
    Ok whoa whoa whoa hold on a second. Im from Chicago and you are telling me that there are places that you can't buy alcohol at Jewel or a gas station???
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

I second the Wild Turkey American Honey but they've recently changed the receipe
    and I liked it much better b-4.
    It was called Honey Licquor b-4 the switch.
    Not near as smooth now as it was.
    Really too bad as it was my fav.
    I've switched to Goldschlager.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I carry a mixture for my flask which holds 8 oz or 250 ml for us Canajuns- about 4 oz Grand Marnier, 2 oz of brandy and 2 oz of Kahlua or Tia Maria. Kinda like a Monte Christo coffee without the annoyance of the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Ok whoa whoa whoa hold on a second. Im from Chicago and you are telling me that there are places that you can't buy alcohol at Jewel or a gas station???

Yes. Many. In Utah, you can get 3.2 beer at the grocery store or gas station...all other alcohol, ABC store. Like good ol' Virginia.

But, there are many places you can't get anything at all. Parts of Texas and Tennessee come to mind.

You just gotta know where to shop. A house with three padlocked refrigerators on the front porch is usually a good place.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned sloe gin - it's a hip flask staple here. I make my own batch every year... Not sure if you have blackthorn in the US though

I like it neat or in a 50:50 mixture with cherry brandy - delish!

I don't hunt- but after a nice long winter ride I love to snuggle up with a glass of Goldschlager by the fire. I'll bet that would keep your toes warm in the stirrups as you're out hunting.

Definitely a 'shine mix will also do the trick. I had some recently that tasted just like fresh peaches-for second.

Another yummy yet effective combination that I like in the winter is Peppermint Schnapps & Godiva Chocolate liquor. Mmmmm...

I think I may have to take a look at those ginger wine recipes. I'd love to try to make up a batch. Sounds so good.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Moonshine..............and you can use it as a leg rubdown or brace after the meet!! Watch it on the cuts tho'....it's gotta sting!
    So, I trade eggs from my chickens for 'shine. I had some ('shine) in a mason jar, and my dad came over, opened the jar up for some reason, and said, "Why do you have ethanol in a jar?"

Yeah, I need Irish courage and mix it up with some Ale 8 (Kentuckians would know)!
    Last edited by Marcella; Dec. 10, 2007 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    I think the ABC store may be a Southern thing. Like blue laws and moonshine. You can order some things - but as far as selection they are usually smaller than a 7-11.
    My hubby is in school in SW VA, and when I was visiting, we went shopping at the ABC. While you can purchase booze 24-7 here in sin city IL (proud to boast the vacation place of Al Capone and his buddies...Mineola Resort), they do have a better variety at the ABC than the local grocery (although Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY is the best!!!!!)

However, that is one of the good things about this place...you can stop at the Jewel at 5am on your way to the hunt to buy something to get you going for the hunt (gas and liquor!)...and the parking is very horse trailer friendly!
    Last edited by Marcella; Dec. 10, 2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: ahliskdfhlsdkhfl

Quote Originally Posted by Rt66Kix View Post
    When I was in Normandy this year, I picked up a fifth of Calvados, which is apple brandy. It's 84 proof, and can put hair on your chest and strip paint from furniture. It might wind up in my flask this winter, but I'll be stingy about sharing it. It's not like I can just fly over to France again to get another bottle, and I doubt I'd find it here!

My mother is going to kill me for saying this, because I do believe you are a friend of hers, but you are a VERY brave lady for drinking that! When I took my tour of France that stuff was, well.... infamous among the men! LOL

Some other things that come to mind:

Bourbon mixed with cream

Sour Apfelkorn -- which I have only ever found in Germany or with people who have the connections to import it. I'd recommend it for warm weather.

You can also take vodka and your favorite fruits (I've tried it with Blueberries, Strawberries and Bananas) and let the fruits sit in the vodka for three days. Supposedly you should switch the Bananas out every day. Tastes a bit like a smoothie but thinner and kicks you on your butt.

1:1 Bailey's and Frangelico. Pop a Hershey's Kiss in yer mouth, take a swaller, led hounds start running and die happy.

I also like red wine (Syrah) port and actually (gasp) prefer it to Taylors Tawny. So sue me.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Relic View Post
    I will vouch that this is good stuff! I don't hunt, but if I did, I'd carry that or Maker's Mark.

Excellent idea for bitter cold lips sticking to your flask days!

Cheers,
    W W!
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.