The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fence judge @ hunter trial - need tips

hello everyone,

I was asked to be a fence judge at an upcoming hunter trial . Is there something I can read or can someone just give me some tips and the basic idea ? I show in the hunter ring so I have some idea of what makes for good jumping form.

thanks!

Same types of penalties would apply, rubs, refusals, chipping in etc, and yes, you want an even arc and good form. I guess I've never competed at a hunter trial where there were single fence judges so presumably the 'judging team' will get relevant instructions. The ones I've done have had one judge if all fences can be seen, more frequently two or three judges.

And I trust the 'judging team' will be looking for an honest hunting pace!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I guess I've never competed at a hunter trial where there were single fence judges so presumably the 'judging team' will get relevant instructions. The ones I've done have had one judge if all fences can be seen, more frequently two or three judges.
    We will get instructions and I am sure there is a REAL judge or 2 or 3 that can see more than one fence. My understanding is that its a spread out course, so each hunt from the area contributes a team of fence judges.

YES!!! the one thing all us volunteer judges have in common is that we hunt

thanks for your reply !

Is this the hunter trial at Norfolk? If so, can I have the date. I would love to go watch it again. I was just talking about it with my mom. I once was the pick up rider I think in 2002. I got to collect all the cards that the judges wrote on. It was such a fun day and I met a lot of great people. My teacher ask me if I wanted to volunteer and I was so glad that I did.

It is the New England Hunter Trials on 10/28. The Norfolk Hunter Trial is 10/21. Both are at the Norfolk Racecourse www.norfolkhunt.com/

Yes, all you New England folks, come on out to watch or compete

Based on what I know (which isn't alot) I believe a fence judge at a field hunter trial would be similar to a fence judge on XC in eventing. Show hunters are judged form over function for the most part but Field Hunters are judged on their suitability as a hunting prospect and their ability to perform various tasks similar to what would be required in the hunt field.
    Therefore, my guess is you will be making sure the horse/rider clear the fence correctly as in XC. I doubt you will be asked to judge actual hunter form o/f. My guess is the powers that be at the Hunter trial will inform you of your duties as a fence judge as they would do for a volunteer XC fence judge in Eventing.

Sounds like it will be a fun day.

Same types of penalties would apply, rubs, refusals, chipping in etc, and yes, you want an even arc and good form.
    Maybe you ARE judged on form??? When I looked into competing at the Norfolk hunter trials last year it sounded more like a XC type competition with other hunt type maneuvers required like a hold hard etc...

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Maybe you ARE judged on form??? When I looked into competing at the Norfolk hunter trials last year it sounded more like a XC type competition with other hunt type maneuvers required like a hold hard etc...
    A handy hunter class would include a hold hard, possibly also things like opening a gate, cracking a whip, trotting a fence, or leading over a fence.

But yes, in 'any' hunter class, form matters. In eventing, all ya gotta do is get between those flags.

A handy hunter class would include a hold hard, possibly also things like opening a gate, cracking a whip, trotting a fence, or leading over a fence.

But yes, in 'any' hunter class, form matters. In eventing, all ya gotta do is get between those flags.
    I think perhaps we are speaking of two different types of hunter trials??
    Here is the link to the Norfolk Field Hunter trials that the OP mentions above.
    It does sound like it is run more like XC at an event with the exception of the "handy hunter" type maneuvers as well. The only specifications for the jumping aspect is "Jumps are numbered sequentially and must be taken in that order. Missing a fence will mean elimination."

If the course is set up and 'judged' as an xc course, we used to say, "over, under or through" the flags, as long as the rider gets between the red and green in one piece without falling off, running out or refusing.
    The fence judge's job is to watch each horse carefully to make sure they clear the obstacle without a refusal. Back in the day when I did this, a stop and a pop was ok, but if the horse stepped back from a stop with even one front hoof, it was counted as a refusal. It is important to make sure you check off each competitor's number as they go through so if there is a stop, you will make sure it is attributed to the correct rider.

You should also become familiar withthe penalty zone around the fence (if there is one in a hunter trial), where the rider cannot cross his path, refuse or fall off (elimination). You should also make sure you sit where you can clearly see the fence, but you will be safely out of the way if a horse does refuse or try to run out, and in a place where you won't scare or interfere in any way with the rider. You cannot cluck, offer advice or help in any way to get the horse over the fence.

I haven't fence judged for a long time, but this is what I recall from my fence judging days. Perhaps someone who is more up to date can clarify this for you. It's really fun. Dress warm!

Chai, what you describe is to my mind eventing fence judging.

A hunter trials does not have penalty zones. One could need individual fence judges to make sure each horse jumps the entire course, and in the correct order. But the scoring would be as in a hunter class- even pace, even form over fences, etc. The occasional feel good buck between fences would be a deduction, but less of one than in plain old 'show hunters.' Assuming of course the rider stays on.

Yes, Beverly, you are right. When LookinSouth mentioned that it might be similar to an event x/c, I figured I'd share what I recall about x/c fence judging because the op said she is a h/j rider who is not familiar with fence judging at all. Some of those tips, ie, stay safely out of the way but in view of the horse so you don't spook it, watch for refusals, etc., I think she can use. I recently saw a video of some x/c where the fence judges were so close to the jump, they almost got trampled by a runout so it's worth mentioning.
    If there is a specific 'judge' who watches the horses for suitability, would the Trials really use h/j riders (not judges) at each fence to score someone on their form?