The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default World record price for a filly.

A filly by Sadler's Wells out of Brigid x Irish River went for 2.5m guineas (about $5.25m) at Goffs yearling today. She's a full sister to top 2yo filly, Listen and also former Moyglare G1 winner, Seqouyah, who has gone on to be the dam of a couple of group winners.
    Still, that's a chunk of change for a year old filly!

I was watching TVG this am during their Internation Racing coverage and this was the talk of the morning

The filly was purchased by Craig Bennett for 2.5million guineas and is a full sister to Sequoyah and Listen.

Bennett is also renowned for buying Ebor winner Purple Moon, the most expensive Flat horse bought at public auction to go jumping.
    Looks like this isn't his first big one

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    A filly by Sadler's Wells out of Brigid x Irish River went for 2.5m guineas (about $5.25m) at Goffs yearling today.
    Wow. That makes $850K for a green Grand Prix horse look a little more reasonable.

I am going to assume these babies must be insured to the max---what would insurance even cost for that?? Just curious.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Why buy a horse with money you could be giving to me?

I really love Sadler's Wells - which is one reason why we chose to breed our TB mare to a son of his, Desert Secret, seven years ago. What a classic boy. DOes anyone have a picture of teh filly?

The bloodhorse article has a picture;

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41300

Angry Be forewarned: I have on my disgruntled cap today

That's a terrible thing to do to a horse, putting a price tag over its head like that. Good luck ever getting to be a horse, little girl. What are the chances he'll even make that back from a filly?

Damn warped business this is, claimers shipping off to meat men while babies sell for millions...
    Last edited by Barnfairy; Oct. 12, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: curmudgeonly afterthought

At the end of her racing life he will get her pregnant and sell her OR he will keep her and get her pregnant and sell the babies. That is where he will make the money back.

Here is a bigger picture of the same pic above;

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sal...ing-filly.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    That's a terrible thing to do to a horse, putting a price tag over its head like that. Good luck ever getting to be a horse, little girl. What are the chances he'll even make that back from a filly?
    Better than most.
    She's a full sister to two G1 winners, one of whom has gone on to foal group winners, including Coolmore's top prospect for next year's classics.
    The dam's full sister, Or Vision, besides being a useful runner, was the dam of multiple G1 winners.
    Then there's her Dad, who besides being the world's greatest living sire, is also the leading broodmare sire.
    Worth $5.5m? Maybe not, but one could make a case.

Not sure what claimers have to with it all, as this filly will never see a claiming race in her life. Even if she never steps foot on a racecourse, she has a life of luxury on a nice stud farm in England or Ireland to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    Wow. That makes $850K for a green Grand Prix horse look a little more reasonable.

I am going to assume these babies must be insured to the max---what would insurance even cost for that?? Just curious.
    I pay 5.7% of value annually for the fillies. That is mortality only.

A filly sells for $5.3 million and they can't get a better picture of her than that???
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

[QUOTE=Barnfairy;2736881]That's a terrible thing to do to a horse, putting a price tag over its head like that. Good luck ever getting to be a horse, little girl. What are the chances he'll even make that back from a filly?
    QUOTE]

Actually... she's from a wonderful family and has a tremendous amount of residual broodmare value. So, even if she never starts, she has a lot of value - which likely would not be the case if she were a colt. Plus, once she's done racing she's going to be turned out to be a horse with the rest of the broodmares, so that's not too bad.

While a tad jealous and sort of stunned that someone paid that much for a yearling (I have one in the front paddock that I would sell for a teeny tiny fraction of this price and he does neat tricks with a Jolly Ball), I am pleased for her connections - they must be thrilled.

And, I agree, that is one horrible picture.

LOL well, I am hoping that www.horsephotos.com will have a better photo tomorrow or the coming few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    A filly sells for $5.3 million and they can't get a better picture of her than that???
    I was sort of thinking the same thing, I hope she looks better than that!

Default Filly

FYI - She was sold at Tattersalls not Goffs!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo2006 View Post
    FYI - She was sold at Tattersalls not Goffs!!
    Yes, you're right, sorry about that.

For those that wanted a better picture... how about some video. Here's video of the sale.

I think she looks GORGEOUS in her pic in the first link, the second one is bad, and def not the same photo. And what is with the "terrible thing to do to a horse". Most racehorses do not live like "horses" whether they were $2500 or $5+million. As others have said, she will be pampered, and become a broodie in the end if all goes as planned. Could definitely be worse.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

In the video she looks lovely.
    She also looks a good bit slimmer than the fatties we seem to see at U.S. sales. Does anyone know if this is just her, or is she typical of how they usually look over there?

Drumbiggle, my comment about claimers was in reference to the industry as a whole, not directed at this filly obviously.

Perhaps this filly will lead a charmed life, but please don't try to tell me that there haven't been horses who fell through the cracks and ended up at the knackers despite having been purchased in their relative infancy for nosebleed prices.

Anyone who knows me knows that I actually like the sport of horseracing, I understand why they are kept like hot house flowers (here) even though I think it stinks, and that I continue to do my part to ensure that *some* of the low-enders get to see normal lives. I wish I could do more. If more people understood that retirement IS part of horseracing maybe the state of things would be better. But I'm getting off track here.

Basically I'm just saying that I think this entire industry is whacked, particularly the breeding (for the purpose of sales) aspect of it. I do see that her *potential* offspring could *potentially* bring in more millions based on their *potential*. Putting that kind of a value on a living thing that could, forgive my bluntness, break its leg at turnout and die tomorrow is absolutely whacked. If I'm the only one who feels this way, so be it. *shrug*
    Last edited by Barnfairy; Oct. 13, 2007 at 08:39 PM.