The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: So, what *is* the highest level you've shown?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Intro/Training

50 20.00%
  • First

50 20.00%
  • Second

43 17.20%
  • Third

29 11.60%
  • Fourth

25 10.00%
  • FEI

53 21.20%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default So, What *IS* the highest level you've shown?

I am pretty sick of all the $h*t slinging going around lately. What, we've had no less than 6 threads since the CvB incident, and apparently everyone is an expert. Not that there hasn't been some honest-to-gawd interesting discourse, but you have to wade through a lot of BS to find it.

So, 'fess up. What is your experience? USDF recognized/licensed please, not schooling show. And don't answer with what level you're "schooling at home", 'cause we all know that's not the same...
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

We're going to attempt 1st this next spring Pretty good feat for a WP bred & trained Appaloosa. Very much of a stock-ish horse... keeps up well with the "Jones" though.

Yep. Not a big Dressage rider, but I love it. Learning lots. (Kinda funny that we've been stuck at Training for almost 8 years... lol. Just doesn't have the ideal movement for dressage to move up any faster...)
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

USDF Silver & Gold medals, Grand Prix for the last few years...but I know I am a lucky person to have had the right horses at the right time! I love the Special but it has been a while since I've gotten to show that test. *sigh* Maybe next year...

Honestly, it is hard to find time to do all that needs doing horse & barn work wise and participate in all the 'discussions' that go on around here...

Ready to move up to third.

I have competed at 3* shows through 4th test 3 ..... Right now I really like working with the youngsters ( having a breeding farm will do that) but I did breed my filly with the hopes of her being my next upper level horse.. She is only 1.5 years right now but I have high hopes for her. She is Fabuleux X Winterprinz and got the dressage genes from both sides

I got my Bronze this year on my Friesian.

I picked 3rd, but come November, it will be 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride On View Post
    I got my Bronze this year on my Friesian.

This is such an accomplishment. It is one thing to buy a horse who already knows this, and then its another thing when you train them there yourself, expecially when they are a big and beautiful Friesian! Great job Ride On for your bronze!!

Junior FEI on the GP schoolmaster and 3rd on the horse that I brought up along myself.

FEI--GP

Trained by me from scratch.
    Last edited by ~Freedom~; Oct. 10, 2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Addition

Default Riding levels...

You asked... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    So, 'fess up. What is your experience? USDF recognized/licensed please, not schooling show. And don't answer with what level you're "schooling at home", 'cause we all know that's not the same...
    Once upon a time, I really really had riding aspirations, goals etc... Thought maybe ONE DAY I would ride at the top levels... Ridden and showed since I was 12 years old... Hunters... Then went to riding school at Morven Park, determined and naive enough to think I would ride and show professionally for a living and maybe heck... Go to the Olympics... I was 18 then. I am 37 now... Showed third level ONE TIME, but really all of my "big" successes came at lower level horse trials, and showing pretty consistently at 1st and 2nd level. Had a fancy dressage horse, showed at Wally world every month etc... Went to regionals a couple of times, and did well, then BAM... Reality set in. Couldn't keep fancy horse sound (TB with bad feet), mom and dad stopped the "funds coming in", and WOW. Sad. No really. Sad... lol

NOW, I am a middle aged lower level, big fish in a very small pond rider. I give lessons to very SMALL time, though loyal and FUN AA riders, help them with their horses, etc... Though because of my background, I will put great basics on my riders, etc, and very gladly have seen a few of my riders pass me in abilities and successes. Hard to admit? NO. I love seeing it happen. What I don't like is seeing trainers/instructors, hanging onto their students, well past when they should, holding back their riders etc... And you (lol) all know who they or you are. But I think that is ANOTHER thread waiting to happen.

At this point in my life, I have a new life. I have a great new career (nurse), I have a great and my first husband, and now wow... I finally have a NICE horse again to ride. . And though I haven't been in the show ring in about 2+(OH MY GOD) years that too will change. I have access to one of the most up and coming international stars the west coast of Florida has seen, so I will be showing again, and I will continue to aspire for my riding "personal bests..."

But with God all things are possible.
    (Matthew 19:26)

THIS IS ADDED: Just wondering, how long would scores count, if one wanted to get her bronze medal? I need only one more score, but like I said, it has been years since I've been in the show ring, and I don't know how long info is kept available from the USDF, or I may have the original tests???
    Last edited by TeddyRocks; Oct. 9, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: additional info...
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

Training! I hope I don't come off like a know-it-all. Can I brag that we're schooling first and will show at the end of the month and I do my own training?
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

FEI....PSG.

Training. And that was before I learned how to ride.
    But showing isn't really my goal anyway, my goal is to ride really, really well. And to have a relationship in and out of the saddle with my horse(s) that's delightfully enjoyable for all involved. And that's why I get my a$$ on an FEI schoolmaster every week, doing 3rd level stuff, and on a good day, I get the canter pirouette, too.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I had the pleasure to ride a Prix St George schoolmaster in a couple lessons, but the highest I have shown was 2nd level test 3. My current Anglo Arabian has the talent to go higher, so we'll see if that changes in the next few years .
    "To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider.
    It is a position in life." --Charles de Kunffy

I notice there are some prominent abstainers from this poll!

Grand Prix .....(in my dreams). Training Level test 4 in reality. Probably will be showing First Level test one next spring. That way we will be ready by the summer for Hong Kong.

International Grand Prix with a horse I BRED and trained / competed being I1 USDF Horse of the Year and making the long list for Barcelona the year after I sold him. Couple of Grand Prix (not international) horses since then.

FEI -GP, bronze, silver and gold on horses I trained myself.
    The first (bronze and silver) was w-t-c when I bought him
    as a coming 5 yo and showed him through I-1 with national
    awards. The second I bought as a 10 yo in Holland - he was
    z-3 ?? champion of north Holland and could do single changes.
    I put p&p and the ones on him. Since my cancer and other
    health issues, showing has been put on hold.
    I'm also working on my 'R' license. (I was told by a well recognized
    clinician that my horse was one of the best pirouetting horses
    in the country though the best I've ever gotten on him is a 9
    for them - the only 10 was for the change between the pirouettes
    on the center line)
    I guess I am not an FEI trainer since I didn't back either one

Dot
    Last edited by dotneko; Oct. 10, 2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: addition

Only done schooling shows to date. And not that many - At training and first level.

I have been working with a very good trainer who is helping me keep my horse going correctly while helping me improve my seat and support the horse with effective (more subtle) aids.

Truely, I never know what I don't know till the light bulb comes on and I gain the feel of a certain thing that has been problematic.

Believe me, I will sing to the high heavens when I enter a recognized show. And I will...when I have something to show besides how damn handsome my horse is!