The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Text submitted for posting not recognized by COTH

I'm submitting this on behalf of another member who e-mailed me. She has been using the same PC and browser, as I understand it, for months, so that's not a variable. (I presume it is a recent version of IE.)

In terms of viewing and navigating, receiving PM's, etc., everything is just fine.

Starting suddenly last month when she would log in and attempt to reply to a message, the reply function would appear to work just fine and she would fill the box with text and use editing commands as usual. However when it came time to post that reply and she clicked the "submit" button, she would receive an error message stating to the effect that it is necessary for there to be at least one character for a message to be posted. The system did not recognize the text -- in some cases several paragraphs -- that she had typed.

Believe this also worked the same when she attempting to start a new thread or send e-mail. Sort of a 'read-only' situation across the board, so to speak.

She has not been able to attempt to access and post on the system from a different PC to eliminate the variable that there is some problem specifically with her account, although there is no reason to believe her account is not in good standing. (This explains, of course, why she hasn't herself been able to inquire through the system.)

Any suggestions for next steps in resolving this strange posting problem? Maybe browser setting or user preference changes or such?
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

What browser/version number and what operating system/version number?

Thanks.

Checking into it. I have learned by e-mail since that everything works fine with another PC, so the problem resides with the PC/OS/browser and not with the account on the COTH side. (Which, of course, is implicit in your question.)

Will update when the information is available, or she will contact you directly. Nobody wants to be stuck unable to use their own PC and having to borrow others' instead.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein