The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Martin's Fall Auction

I will probably be attending just to watch and see prices, but if one were attending and shopping for a vehicle for a single horse for recreational driving (such as at Rockefellar State Park on the carriage driving trails) and carriage pleasure driving shows what would you pick out? Here are photos of the consignments
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...feed=129&gid=0
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...feed=129&gid=0

Geeze, that is overload. What an amazing assortment
    I bought an antique at auction once. Spent a fortune getting it refurbished, drove it in one show and changed from horses to ponies. Sold it and lost my shirt.
    but it was really beautiful and was a great ride. Never been in any vehicle that rode better.

First what size of horse or pony? Stylish, higher mover, flat mover? A Cob type, chunky body, slender or just a large, powerful, BIG moving horse? Draft size or regular horse on the BIG animal?

Will you be going out alone, as a couple or as a group, 3-4 folks along on your recreational drive? Local fun Driving shows or the higher level stuff?

Do you want carriage ready to go, or are you willing to work on it or send it for restoring or just get it fixed to be usuable, safe to drive?

Do we have a budget to shop with? Or can we get whatever will make us happy? Sometimes you can be VERY happy, or you may have to settle for being slightly less happy, staying within the budget!!

With no money restraints, I'd probably be looking at the wagonettes and Bronson Wagons - possibly the 3 seat surry - though most are bigger than we want to transport about. All do well for the type of pleasure driving we'll be doing. For now our cart and the used Eagle suit us just fine.

I'd be shopping for a ready to go - already restored vehicle as we've always been taught you do the restoration for your own pleasure, you usually don't get back what it cost you, so you might as well buy one with the work already done.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    First what size of horse or pony? Stylish, higher mover, flat mover? A Cob type, chunky body, slender or just a large, powerful, BIG moving horse? Draft size or regular horse on the BIG animal?

Will you be going out alone, as a couple or as a group, 3-4 folks along on your recreational drive? Local fun Driving shows or the higher level stuff?

Do you want carriage ready to go, or are you willing to work on it or send it for restoring or just get it fixed to be usuable, safe to drive?

Do we have a budget to shop with? Or can we get whatever will make us happy? Sometimes you can be VERY happy, or you may have to settle for being slightly less happy, staying within the budget!!
    The horse I am sort of starting to look for a cart now for is 16.1 hands but probably only 1000 pounds Arab/DHH cross, tall but very slender built. He is very pretty and a fancy mover, but I don't think he is a stylish enough horse for a gig or a phaeton, and I don't think he is a heavy enough horse for a heavy multi-passenger vehicle like a Wagonette. The ones I have my eye on so far include the Cut Under Outing Wagon, the New York Trap, the Cut-Under Trap, and the Four Wheeled Dog Cart, but several of the other traps and runabouts I would like to see in person as the photos are not very good. I probably won't be buying at this sale, just going to watch and check prices. Of the 4 I like pictures of the dog cart looks to be the ony one that really needs work. It says the cut under outing wagon is new, so would like to compare what a new vehicle at auction goes for compared to what buying it from the dealer costs. I have no idea where all we will go for our horse, he is the only Half-Arab we have kept and we will be waiting 3-4 years for our first crop of Dutch Harness Horses to be of age and I know I will want different vehicles for them (like a Dutch show wagen and a really really fancy phaeton for the ladies phaetons classes and a really fancy gig too! we'll have to build a carriage house to display them).

Wow! I want to save those files for reference.

A question. Those wicker/basketweave governess carts, what size pony were they designed for?

Oh, and the Lion Sleigh looks like a lot of fun! One of the farms I worked for had a Portland Cutter and we would jog the horses in the snow in the winter for exorcise, so looking at all the sleighs and cutters makes me want one of those too. The burgundy Albany Cutter is really beautful....

I think the catalog from THIS auction would be agreat reference tool. THIS auction selection is more like the auctions were when we first got into this sport. Lots ov variety and lots of unusual ( in a good way) vehicles

I really like the Friday offereing Swiss wagonette and I dont think from the picture that it looks too heavy for a single light horse to handle

We might actually be intrigued enough to wander out to this auction just to poke around

Wow! Now I understand why drivers flock to Martin's from all over the USA! *Very* impressive - I've never seen the lots online before. Thanks for posting.

My gut instincts: (1) always better to go 2-wheeled than 4-wheeled with a greenie; (2) if you DO go 4-wheeled, be sure you get something with a cut-under; and (3) I agree w/ you that for the horse you describe the wagonettes might be too heavy and also make the horse *look* clunky, which you don't want.

Kind of surprised you think he's not refined enough for a gig?? Can we see some pics??
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I do have a jog cart that I have been breaking him in and he is going very well, but I have no pictures. He goes like an Arab hunter pleasure horse, in a round, lower headed frame, but with a bit of loft and float to his gaits, he's not the bold moving upright head set sort of horse I think of as being in front of a gig. I do like the French Family Cart, I want to see that one in person, and the Buckeye Norena, too. I generally dislike Meadowbrooks and any other sort of back entry two wheeled cart with the whole flipping the seat up contraptions to get in and out. LOL the Tonga cart looks like something an elephant should be pulling. I really don't think I will be buying anything this fall, maybe in the spring

Oooo... momma wants. I'll take a gig and an Albany cutter for driving in a big oval around the hay field in the winter. Think the mare on my profile is fancy enough to pull off a gig?

Wow, what am amazing collection! That Calaysa -- I'd have to look closely at that one. You'd have to have a very small person as whip, wouldn't you? I like the French family cart too. So many to choose from! Can't wait to hear about the prices and other details!

I am still drooling over some of the carriages! I wish I was closer! I am sure my husband is glad we aren't!

I found my Martin's brochure and liked the photo of the slat-sided Trap. It appears to have a full fifth-wheel under the front. Looks very airy, lightweight, for your smaller horse. He sounds leggy, but not heavy. Photo shows vehicle in good condition. Natural finish is more country than formal, but could be dressed up some.

We had a trap for our shorter horse, weighed about 900 pounds. She handled it very well, even with 4 adults riding. We found the Trap to load easily into truck bed, ride very well on trail dirt roads or in the ring. Ours was on a reach, so didn't turn really short, but was short coupled, so not huge area needed to get around.

Traps are usually pretty lightweight, with the better ones almost appearing airy, with impossibly thin spoked wheels, floating the bodies along. They all seem to ride well. Soft, not the firm ride of modern carriages. Like a Grampa car. Some may be age, worn springs, but folks wanted a soft ride back then, roads were usually very bad.

Another good looking vehicle was the Swiss Wagonette. Also appeared light and airy. Able to hold several people, yet not need a huge horse to handle the carriage. Again, real nice, but not formal vehicle. Nice for picnic or the ring. Could be good-looking with a high stepping horse in front.

You are right about having to see carriages in person. Photos can really throw perspective out the window. I am more a 4-wheel vehicle person, rather than carts and 2-wheelers.

There is certainly a lot of vehicle variety coming to this sale. Not usually this good a selection. I would bring some money if you can for shopping. Prices are usually better to buyers in the fall. Sometimes you only get one shot at a great vehicle! It disappears into someone else's barn, never to be visible again.

Looks like we are going. Time for some vacation time off the farm!

I had fun watching today, did not buy anything. Prices seemed low, new or nicely restored, very usable old vehicles selling over and over for $1500-$3500. One Brewster vehicle sold for $15k, I was only there for a few hours. If you are in the area tomorrow you ould go lots more cool stuff to sell tmorrow, i have to clean stalls and work horses

Also, for anyone who was their or who received a catalog in the mail, when I got there Friday morning they were sold out of catalogs and I would like to purchase one for future referance.

What were the pony carriages going for?? (i.e. restored) ......

I thought most of the prices on everything, were up some. I didn't keep track of all the vehicles. Martins will send a selling price list of the catalog carriages, if you want to pay for it.

I don't think they track the Saturday Field vehicles on that price list. Had a wreck of a Brester Dogcart out there. About the only semi-solid parts were wheels and the sides, basket-weave pressed panels. Lots of rot and insect damage. I was buying other stuff, didn't see it sell. All the metal parts were there.

Brewster marked anything, vehicles, appointments, lamps, wrecks, seemed to go for big money.

I saw lots of nice vehicles, restored, which went for less than restoration prices. Others went for good money, especially the better makers. Pony stuff seemed to go well on Friday, if it was a nice vehicle. Great looking pony Phaeton Lot 84, with hood, dickey seat, unknown maker, older restoration, went for $7700. Terrific White Chapel Cart Lot 81, French Carriage Co. went for $10,000. It was ready for the ring. Very nicely restored Trap Lot 82 went for $3200. Tagged Elkhart Carriage. Restored sleighs did pretty well, got good prices. Several very cute pony sleighs.

That slat-sided Trap I liked in photos, was not as nice in person. It didn't start life as a trap. Had a nice body, but trap features were added, and were just a bit off. Body was heavier than a regular trap, maybe was a dogcart before. Full size 5th-wheel. More heavy in wheels and axles than most traps. Looked coarse. Colors were ugly up close, darker beige lower body, natural wood slats and wheels. Slats were not open, had boards behind them. Just not a good marriage of parts, to me. Missed the exact price, over $2000.

On the other hand lot 116, that Swiss Wagonette was even prettier than photos. Made by Burtis, NY. Cob sized, very airy look over-all. Seats in rear folded down out of sight. Very nice closed look, sleek. Enough room to seat a couple adults behind. Sure would have been buying this if we needed a carriage in cob size! Excellent restoration,good paint job in a soft green. Went low I thought, for $3600. Lamps went for $475. Hadn't seen such a pretty Wagonette for a real long time.

Lots of Gigs, large, med, small. Projects and ready to go, all sold fairly well. I thought the roof seat breaks went low, all under $10,000. I saw the Calaysa go for $3200. Looked in good condition, did need a tiny driver, NARROW animal to pull. Maybe a donkey or mule, no width to short shafts. The French Family Cart Lot 180, brought $2500. The top was so white, it detracted from the rest of the cart. It was an interesting vehicle, had a rear entry door, with two tiny seats on sides, behind driver seat. I would like to have seen cart with no top. It was in good condition.

I didn't see all the stuff go thru, kind of looked for the interesting (to me) ones. We weren't looking for vehicles, so I was in and out during the sale, just marked prices on some, and appointments.