The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

An Update:
    I found men's riding undies (they call them liners) at Dover Saddlery and ordered them on Wednesday night. I just tracked them and they're already at my house! So he'll be ablet to wear them in his lesson on Sunday! So I'll let you all know how it goes!
    Thanks for the input! It was great hearing all the funny stories too, we read it together and had a good laugh!
    Grab mane and kick on!

My husband and son both ride, are good riders on the flat or over fences. They both wear briefs, under breeches and jeans. They ride saddles that have a wide twist. Narrow twist saddles are a real bad choice for the male rider, english or western. Flat seats seem to be more comfortable than those with a rise to the front, like the Western Equitation seat models. Deep seat is OK, as long as the rear is not downhill from pommel, on English saddles. This would probably be considered a good fitted saddle on the horse. Lots of folks don't seem to notice good or poorly fitting saddles on their animals, always posting uphill.

There was a hysterical article in a UK horse magazine a number of years ago about the beginning male rider. For some reason he only had female trainers who DID NOT cut him any slack on doing the sitting trot, at speed, for LONG periods of time during the lesson. It was crippling him, but he REALLY wanted to ride well. His story about finding helpful riding underware was very funny, but certainly eye opening to me. Stuff I never thought of!! He ended up with an athletic supporter to go with his briefs, considered it the only way for men to ride comfortably, safely.

I did think that the article should be mandatory reading for riding instructors who will teach any boys or men!

My husband learned from male instructors, gave son much of his riding lessons, so they didn't have any "male" problems. Males do tell each other the tricks needed for their gender to succeed well in the saddle.

So how do I get my son to wear his special undies? My ten year old son is obviously uncomfortable, we (Daddy and I) took him out and bought him a jock strap, and compression shorts, and boxer briefs (so he could choose which he wanted to wear.) Daddy explained why he shouldn't wear his boxer shorts (not to mention how bunched up they get under his jods) but son is stubborn.

I know, nobody has the answer, I guess I just wanted to whine! I wish he would listen, I know he would be more comfy in the saddle! Daddy rides off and on, and does use a jock strap.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was about to start a similar thread for my boyfriend who is having issues...

I gave him his first "proper" lesson this weekend and he's a natural...but afterwards he said I was killing him with the trot.

I think we'll be shopping for some jockey shorts, wranglers, and some less "girly" gear (helmet, saddle pad).

Have a friend that had the same problem. Saddle size. He was in 16 and needed a 17.5 and all the problems went away. This guy is not big. About 5'5" 130lbs. He asked around and no one had an answer. This was a total cure. GO TEAM GO>

4cornersfarm, I suppose you could just reassure yourself and your husband that there will certainly be no unexpected grandchildren if your son continues to wear boxers!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    My husband learned from male instructors, gave son much of his riding lessons, so they didn't have any "male" problems. Males do tell each other the tricks needed for their gender to succeed well in the saddle.
    Every time I see a western (film) I wonder about the American Indians riding at full out gallop bareback...how would that feel? This thread immediately made me think of the buffalo hunt scene in Dances with Wolves- those guys are sitting as humanely close to their horses' backs as possible, arms free for their bows, backs as straight as can be...in their split skin leather loincloth things...imagine trying that for a day's ride.

So glad I'm a girl.

On second thought- I guess the trot scenes are more painful to watch than the galloping ones. lol
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

The farther north I get, the better I like it ...

Default Gel seats and boxer briefs!

Glad I found this thread. The DH doesn't really ride and has ZERO body fat so I was concerned about this *ahem* "issue" when he wanted to do some trail riding. So I asked around and got some great referrals from the male of the species -- gel seat that velcroes on a western saddle.

Plus the good ol' boxer briefs and *cough* telling the poor guy to adjust himself accordingly. It's worked wonders and he enjoys a nice long trail ride occasionally.

Funny story to add: my youngest stepson has ridden with me since he was 10. Fearless, great seat, no balance problems and a speed freak of the highest order.

The oldest stepson asked if he could go along this past spring for the first time at 15. I put him in a beater western trail saddle, lots of padding, on a nice bombproof mare, ditto on the padding. We get out an hour or so and the youngest wants to trot, mostly to show off to his older brother how well he can ride. With everybody's consent, off we go. I've ridden the mare I have my oldest on, she's smooth as glass.

But, about 200 yards down the trail I hear all kinds of bellowing from the kid. When I stop and trot back to find out what the emergency is, he informed me that 'we have to walk, my ba**s hurt like hell!' (at 15). I laughed so hard I almost fell off. His younger brother has never let him live it down and still rides regularly with me. The oldest hasn't asked since ....
    When you've been falling/bailing off horses for 40 years, you're really good at it!

(Why does everybody laugh when I say that?)

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    So how do I get my son to wear his special undies? My ten year old son is obviously uncomfortable, we (Daddy and I) took him out and bought him a jock strap, and compression shorts, and boxer briefs (so he could choose which he wanted to wear.) Daddy explained why he shouldn't wear his boxer shorts (not to mention how bunched up they get under his jods) but son is stubborn.
    Buy him a pair of each, slip them into his drawer, and don't mention it. He was probably more embarrassed than stubborn and this way he'll have options for relief when his choices fail him. He'll soon figure it out, not many people enjoy self inflicted pain!

My son resisted underwear change when he was 10. That all changed when puberty really set in. And then finally we got him a 19.5" saddle. He had always ridden in Wintecs. The saddler we found mentioned that saddles built for men really make a difference. We found that to be totally true. His form also improved as he quit anticipating discomfort. My son is 16 and 200#.
    So 4cornersfarm. time will take care of the resistance. And if he starts not wanting to ride any more, consider this as a culprit and help him address it again.
    FFF