The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for the men!

My husband has asked me to ask you a question!
    He's been taking some lessons with my trainer to prepare for the hunt field. He took his 2nd lesson today. He's ridden with me before but only trail rides etc. I got to watch part of his lesson today and I was very impressed! He's already mastering the posting trot and started cantering only after his 2nd lesson!
    Anyway, to the question! It's about the male "parts". He's a little sore tonight after a little bouncing etc getting used to the canter and posting. What do you guys suggest he do to stay comfortable in the saddle? Is there certain underwear?
    Thanks for the help!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Default Ok, I'm the wrong gender, but

I can relate to you that when my husband took up riding soon after we were married, his issues were resolved by proper saddle fit.

Ah - funny how this thread comes up on a regular basis. My husband rides in bicycle shorts for the compression aspect. Son rides in boxers and arranges. Both would agree with what Beverly posted. Guys take a seat that is a bit roomier/larger than a woman of similiar height/thigh length do.

Ok...I've resisted posting this before..but I'm feeling cheeky tonight.

X rated..so if you're sensitive read no further.

Here is the Haiku my SO composed afer his first ride on my bouncy morgan...

Posting trot, the pain
    unprepared, wore boxer shorts
    B@!!s now in my @$$

Talking

LOL!!! Thank you, needed that!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Wink

I was trail riding with my husband ,a novice, he complained of certain pain -- I grabbed my cell and call my friend RIchard W in Arizona---his instructions were to pull his testicles forward-- and wear shorts tight enough to hold them there! Hope this helps!! Helped Ron
    Oh did I say how embarassed Ron was --- LOL--- we horse woman are not shy

Quote Originally Posted by Cattail View Post
    I was trail riding with my husband ,a novice, he complained of certain pain -- I grabbed my cell and call my friend RIchard W in Arizona---his instructions were to pull his testicles forward-- and wear shorts tight enough to hold them there! Hope this helps!! Helped Ron
    Oh did I say how embarassed Ron was --- LOL--- we horse woman are not shy

Shortly after the boxer shorts incident, we were at the local park for the 4th July fireworks, we got into a conversation with a lovely mail mounted policeman and my SO related his problem.

Officer's advice was "Upwards and forwards dude...upwards and forwards"!!

Another tale to tell...

My ex decided while we were out at the barn one day that he wanted to ride my old horse (that I don't own anymore), but he was concerned that his underwear was not sufficient, so we went into town to purchase him some tightie wighties.

Problem was, it's a small town and none were to be had, so he decided on a pair of women's panty hose (in black), he cut the feet off and put them on under his jeans.

Out in the back 40, ex and horse were descended upon by a swarm of biting insects and my horse took off with him across the field bucking up a storm, a rein snapped and ex landed winded and coughing up blood.

Off to the ER...forgot about the undergarments until the nurse asked him to strip down to his underwear.

She left the room, but came back to see why we were laughing SO hysterically

i posted a thread not to long ago i think in the dressage section about equitation differences between men and women, you may find some helpful info there.

Default Finally...someone to pass my knowledge onto! ; )

I have to say that boxer-briefs have worked great for me. Riding in plain boxers the few times I've forgotten that I was riding that day when I got dressed was most uncomfortable, due to them bunching up and....chafing.

Also, tell your husband that the good news is that as his legs get stronger and his seat improves, he'll be more balanced, and it won't even be an issue! Now the only time I ever get a painful reminder is when my balance falters from a bad jump or if my horse is acting the fool. Otherwise, the anatomy difference is a moot point. Best of luck to him! I had one bad "pop" last year and had to pull over and think about life for a while, so I definitely can appreciate his apprehension!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempo View Post
    Another tale to tell...

Off to the ER...forgot about the undergarments until the nurse asked him to strip down to his underwear.

What are the effin odds of falling off hard enough to require a trip to ER the one time your cross-dressing for a non-pervert related activity??? I bet they still bring this story up in the break room at the hospital.

It just takes practice and after a while it is a non-issue. In the hunt field you will got popped from time to time (horse sees something and hops a little) but its rare.

Default DUH

why do you suppose they call them jocky [as opposed to boxer]
    more hay, less grain

Tight underpants which hold everything in! They're even called jockey pants so you have a clue Or something like speedo swimming trunks or bicylcle shorts. In winter lycra tights are great but watch out you don't end up in hopsital where they think you're some sort of weirdo transvestite!

NEVER EVER EVER boxer shorts! Unless of course you want to sing soprano!

Withers and pommel....... the reason men don't ride bareback

Upwards and forward is right on! Tight enough underware to keep them there and you don't need a different saddle fit. Get a seat first and much of the pain is eliminated. Have fun!!

Default They're called "Homeys"

A few years ago when I started learning how to ride (at an eventing barn), I had this problem. I found the answer in the Dover catalog. They're called Homeys (such a great name). A cross between a jock strap and boxer brief underwear. Unfortunately, I don't think Dover carries them any longer. BUT...they do have a website...
    http://www.canadiantack.com/USA_pages/USDclothing1.htm

Also, when I did a low level dressage show, the Homeys showed through the white breeches, so what I did was use black Champion boxer briefs over a jockey strap. It worked beautifully!

Good luck...
    Last edited by Black Rider; Oct. 8, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Is that you in the picture?

Hubby is a cowboy, so wears snug Wranglers. When not commando, he wears snug boxer briefs. On the few occasions he has ridden in my english or dressage saddles, the saddle definitely made a difference. He HATED the super deep seat dressage saddle, but could deal with the flatter event saddle.

Default High and Tight

High and Tight for male riders is not a hair style, but a survival technique!
    Saddle fit for the rider is also most important. Like a lot of guys, I learned to ride in my wife's tiny saddle. I came to believe that the saddle was the reason that there were so few guys in english tack!

When I finally ordered a custom saddle for my lovely gelding and I, the difference was very apparent!

Tell Hubby to hang tight, and hang in there! It gets better and it's all worth the effort.

Hotspur

Default High and Tight

+1 boxer-briefs

However, they don't work well for breeches. Even tried mini-briefs (aka man panties) once.

So the "Good Ol' Whitie Tighties" work good, just make sure they are younger than your horse.
    The more we look for that perfect spot, the harder it is to find.