The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Appointments, three ?'s

Gentleman rider without colours, is this ok:

Tophat with black shadbelly with NO colours; WHITE breeches and black boots with NO brown tops....white garters of course.

OR is a frock ONLY proper in lieu of the shadbelly?

I have been advised both are equally proper but doublechecking.....

And a girth extender is a no no, yes?

And a curb chain "holder" ok if a finer second chain v. the regular leather piece?

THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Tantivy1 View Post
    Gentleman rider without colours, is this ok:

Tophat with black shadbelly with NO colours; WHITE breeches and black boots with NO brown tops....white garters of course.

OR is a frock ONLY proper in lieu of the shadbelly?

I have been advised both are equally proper but doublechecking.....

And a girth extender is a no no, yes?

And a curb chain "holder" ok if a finer second chain v. the regular leather piece?

THANKS
    Yes to either shadbelly or frock, no to boots w/o tops, brown tops must always be worn w/white breeches. Don't know why girth extender would be a no no if needed, though I personally would feel safer out hunting with a longer girth. Curb chain holder, yes.

Do ladies wear boots with brown tops in the USA??

That would be VERY wrong in the UK.

In some hunts.

Heck - what do you expect from a country that a spells "Kimbelwicke", Kimberwick?

Or is it the other way around? I can never remember.

Obviously for political correctness lady whippers-in at our hunt(USA) were required to be outfitted the same as the chaps. Scarlet coat with colours and buttons, brown tops and white britches. I had to have interchangeable tops depending on the day's job!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post

Well, yes, if they are wearing scarlet, which I perceive would also be very wrong in the UK.

In some hunt clubs, female MFHs have been wearing scarlet for decades. Also, some hunt clubs decree that 'all' staff shall wear scarlet, regardless of gender.

I was bummed at the time at the additional expense, but the flip side was gratitude at having a red coat on during deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Well, yes, if they are wearing scarlet, which I perceive would also be very wrong in the UK.

In some hunt clubs, female MFHs have been wearing scarlet for decades. Also, some hunt clubs decree that 'all' staff shall wear scarlet, regardless of gender.

I was bummed at the time at the additional expense, but the flip side was gratitude at having a red coat on during deer season.
    With our hunt club, females do not wear scarlet. We have two female MFHs and one whip, all wear black jackets.

Gentleman who have been awarded their hunt button may wear pink (red) hunting coats. Likewise tailcoats (you call shadbellies?) are also only worn by those who have been awarded formal status - so not for the followers

Dependent on which hunt, then Ladies either do similar or else they replace their buttons on their hunting coat with the "hunt button" . So in some hunts Lady Masters wear four silver buttons down the front of their blue, black or green (dependent on hunt) coats with two at the rear; their ribbons will also be down on their hats.

Brown topped boots are never for ladies though even if they're a hunt master and entitled to wear the pink (red) coat.

Question So what happened!

Tantivy!! So what happened! Tell us all about it!! I couldn't make it and can't find the results anywhere!!
    Call me, PM me or something!!
    Wateryglen simply worships Tantivys horses!!

If you are asking about the intergalactic field hunter championship results, she posted yesterday on FOL- Eve Fout won.

Talking yeah but....

Who won best turned out!??
    And how did Tantivy's friend do?!! Overall I mean. I'm not on FOL (and I'm pretty sure THEY are glad!! )
    Oh.....and I just LOVE the intergalactic thing! It is a bit of an egocentric affair to call it the North American Field Hunter Championship or whatever. Sometimes we Virginians get full of ourselves I think! JMHO!! It's still a fun competition. Every state should have one tho'! Like....The Foxhunter Championship of the Universe - Utah Chapter! The centennial competions were regional which worked too. How about The Intergalactic Battle of the Utah Foxhunter Stars! North vs. South!!

No disrespect to Utah - I was just trying to be funny and I had to use some state!!

Here is Tantivy's FOL post:

"The 2007 NAFHC ended today at Glenwood Park
    Racecourse.

Most Suitable was awarded to Pam Drunagel from the
    Warrenton Hunt on her snazzy partner in hunting, Jimmy
    Slide.

Best Turned Out was richly deserved by Leslie Hazel on
    her 15 yo bay TB gelding, Royal Age, from the Orange
    County Hunt. Leslie's turnout was a mute testimony
    that spoke volumes of the traditions of foxhunting.
    In a word, she was simply PERFECT.

The Jan Reutz award went to Jennifer Nesbit, Keswick.

Reserve Champion went to the hard riding Christy
    Donovan on her grey gelding Hemmingway, the able pair
    riding for the Piedmont Foxhounds.

The Championship went to a lady among ladies in the
    hunting fields of Virginia. Competing against her
    most every year, each year she methodically beats me
    (and a lot of others too!), with very little effort,
    for foxhunting and all it embodies is second nature to
    this woman.

In her final round she nailed everyone hands down. It
    was dry and dusty today, and she came riding off the
    course, a lithe and shapely figure with a smile on her
    face despite the 95 degree temperature.

On her dark and lovely brown gelding, Morning
    Pleasure, Mrs. Paul Fout, from the Orange County Hunt.

Cheers to each and all!"

I've been calling it 'intergalactic' for 20 years or more...way back when it was a REALLY CHEAP way to get in five consecutive days of hunting with lavish breakfasts! But when, the first year I did it, Nick (the $700 quarter horse) made the finals on the first day, I quickly learned just how seriously some take it!

As for Utah, well, you should know that I am the Empress of the Utah Chapter of the Virginia Foxhound Club. Appointed by acclamation. We did get a hunter pace together 10 or so years ago, but no momentum since then. There 'was' a pack here in the early 60s but it didn't last long. But that's okay, there is a nice new pack in Wyoming, a mere 6 hours away!

Talking sigh!...

Hey, Beverley! I heard this morning that Randy Waterman has started a basset pack in Montana!??!!! That would work!!
    Still love the intergalactic thing....and am jealous of the competitors. They are ALL so perfect!! Sigh.......

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post

If a lady has colors she should have patent leather boot tops, regardless of whether the hunt allows her to wear scarlet.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Hey, Beverley! I heard this morning that Randy Waterman has started a basset pack in Montana!??!!! That would work!!
    Still love the intergalactic thing....and am jealous of the competitors. They are ALL so perfect!! Sigh.......
    Yes, I've heard that too, he had foxhounds but decided he needed something slower!

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    If a lady has colors she should have patent leather boot tops, regardless of whether the hunt allows her to wear scarlet.
    Nope, sorry, wrong on two counts.

1. Patent leather tops are optional for ladies with colors. Plain black boots are equally correct.
    2. Scarlet must always be worn with white breeches (unless, as is the case at Old Dominion Hunt, rust colored breeches w/scarlet are decreed to be the livery). White breeches must always be worn with boots w/brown tops (and, of course, white garters, for those of us who still bother). Therefore a lady, just like a man, wearing scarlet, must wear boots w/brown tops. The only reason a lady would be wearing scarlet, in any hunt I know, is if she is either Master, or staff- no hunt would otherwise 'allow' it.

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    Beverly is quite right, as always.

I have colours on some jackets, not on others, and greatly prefer plain top boots which I wear with any jacket regardless of it having colours on the collar or not.

Actually, have torn the colours off all but 2 jackets and would really like to get them off those two also, if I could, but the original fabric was removed to be replaced with the colours fabric, so I am stuck with them until I earn them at the club I now hunt with...some happy day!

Thanks Beverly for the sage advice; he looked splendid in the vintage white breeches with well broken in Vogels; their brown tops had a lovely patina and it was a great old type of look!

HJFox29020 Guest

Nope, sorry, wrong on two counts.

1. Patent leather tops are optional for ladies with colors. Plain black boots are equally correct.
    2. Scarlet must always be worn with white breeches (unless, as is the case at Old Dominion Hunt, rust colored breeches w/scarlet are decreed to be the livery). White breeches must always be worn with boots w/brown tops (and, of course, white garters, for those of us who still bother). Therefore a lady, just like a man, wearing scarlet, must wear boots w/brown tops. The only reason a lady would be wearing scarlet, in any hunt I know, is if she is either Master, or staff- no hunt would otherwise 'allow' it.
    Incorrect for Camden. Lady Staff/Masters may wear Pinques but never brown tops.

Quote Originally Posted by HJFox29020 View Post
    Incorrect for Camden. Lady Staff/Masters may wear Pinques but never brown tops.
    The Master of each hunt, in your case Camden, is the 'final' authority on the attire rules for that hunt. Old Dominion Hunt also deviates from the 'usual' rule by using 'brick' aka rust colored breeches with scarlet. Some hunts don't use scarlet at all. It's all part of the fun!

Usually I am just a reader of this bulletin board but wish to add my $.02. Rust or Brick with Scarlet is acceptable in many hunts. Refer to the photo of Wadsworth himself in "Riding to Hounds in America". He is adorned in Scarlet and Rust.

The functional purpose of Brown Tops on Boots is to protect the britches from stains when a gentleman crosses his legs. A lady never crosses her legs in polite company. Aside from all of this, when hunting originated and proper attire was prescribed, ladies rode aside and their boots not seen by many.