The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What level do you ride at?

My trainer has a funny story about someone asking another rider what level she rode at. Her answer:

Well our canter is at Third and our trot is at First!

I often feel just like that. Today while riding our canter is Third/ Fourth and our trot is 3-1. I have yet to achieve great flexibility within the trot between collected/ medium/extended. We tend to fall on our forehand still a bit between the trot transitions. Much better than before, but still some work ahead of us this winter.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Somewhere between training level and grand prix.

19 members found this post helpful.

Seriously the most difficult question to answer. I move a lot, so when i go to a new barn it ends up as a rambling story that ends with "can i just ride bob slow poke my first ride, and you can assess and you can let me know whats appropriate amd if we will work well together"

I was thinking today that i need to even change my story some more. My current lease is a fantastic guy, has all the buttons (no piaffe/passage but all the rest) but damn. He makes you work for it. Hes never grumpy and doesnt hold grudges, but he is more like "oh, you wanted threes? I thought you were asking for twos, with changes in the back first in half pass. Because that IS what you were asking for, whether you meant to or not".

I think i need to start calling the previous saints i had been riding "enablers" rather than school masters.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Somewhere between training level and grand prix.

Yep. I have ridden really nice horses to really not so nice horses, and with every one I've felt moments of "we're ready to move up" and "maybe you should become a jumper, because you sure aren't a dressage horse".

My current mare comes from eventing land, but boy does she have nice dressage. We're currently schooling all of the 2nd level movements and some of the 3rd. She is confirmed in the 3rd level movements, but I am not. I am a solid 2nd, with aspirations to the FEI levels.

If I were a better rider, she could easily be schooling 4th right now, with plans to compete at 4th next summer. She's only 13, so there is a chance we could get to PSG.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I tend to refer more to where my horse is at than what I can do. Because many days I'd never make it through a First level test! On our good days, pre-layup, we were schooling 4th and starting half steps. Now he's lost fitness so we're not there right now, but should get back there quickly given that he's pretty easily around 2nd or 3rd right now. So yes, somewhere between training and 4th!

What level do you ride at?

the level for survival and forgiveness and some day perhaps competency
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

12 members found this post helpful.

Well....last week I had a ride with canter work that made me feel like packing for Wellington....

Yesterday...I felt like just packing it up for good.

It's been a whacky year and the working student showed my horse at 3rd this past year while I sat on the injured list. I'm back in the saddle and the horse was out of work for basically 2 months...he's not really interested in carrying himself so while there are glimpses of what's to come for me while riding him, we've got a long, long way to go. Yesterday, I would have celebrated with some downward transitions that didn't feel like we were falling into the ground. :/

That said, I can hold my own doing some of the tricks on the trick horse...but putting it together...can I ring back in around March-ish?!?

1 members found this post helpful.

Between training and first depending on day.

a couple years ago I was working over the winter to show 4th in the spring. One day, after several days off and a dental event (for me) I COULD NOT get maresy to stay in the canter. 3-4 strides, break. Both ways. Over and over. Trainer getting peeved...said something like "you are all locked up". Next day I came in and asked for a lunge line lesson so I could focus on unlocking. So I went from schooling 4th to Intro in the blink of an eye. Fortunately we worked thru it and went on to 4th.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Any given day of the week I'm on anything from 3 yr olds that I'm backing on up to my Grand Prix mare and almost everything in between.

It depends on the day.

Sometimes I feel like we could go out and show first and do beautifully. Other days I don't even think we could bumble through intro.

I'd definitely consider myself max first level though-we're wading through on our own right now. I'm hoping that by spring we can find a trainer to help us take that next step.
    “It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." - Buddha

My level depends on whether I'm awake or dreaming

8 members found this post helpful.

This is a funny post because I can relate to the differences in quality for each gait or movement. My current horse was advertised as a third level horse and has some fourth level buttons. She has worked on half steps, canter pirouettes but has never done tempi changes or that uphill of changes for the most part. She's definitely a horse that will teach you to ride thorough but isn't necessarily going to teach you the buttons of FEI or how to do great lead changes.

As for me, there are definitely some days where I feel like we are connected well and thus am riding at maybe 2nd level and there are other days where I can't get my act together and feel like I am riding at 1st or training level. The thing I find hard to answer is how to evaluate yourself (what level you are at) when you are not a rider who shows.

I would love to do some mounted clinics in the future but just don't feel the need at this current moment to show. I am more focused on 'learning the dance' and figuring out how to become one with my equine partner. Although I follow the training scale and try to ride the movements and elements within 2nd level tests, I don't place too much importance on nailing everything since we are not showing. I want to learn how to feel most importantly.

My guilty pleasure is lateral work, especially half pass or shoulder-in, and because I love doing this I usually neglect extensions (I don't get that 'high' from doing extensions). I think its about taking what you can, wisdom wise, from each horse and to make sure the next horse you buy, in a sense, fills in the gaps that your last horse couldn't. For example, my next horse better have amazing tempi changes but I would feel comfortable working on his/her lateral work myself.

Classic :-)
    Grits & Gravity

Disclosure Time ~ I'm not ur vet BLAH BLAH or ur consultant ~ IMHO~ MayB a conflict of interest BLAH BLAH !!!

Anywhere from not quite backed to haute ecole. Depends on the moment and the stimuli

Current horse is schooling 2nd/3rd, and is a pretty solid show worthy 1st. However, she has a love of the dramatic, so see my first sentence lol
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

2 members found this post helpful.

Rodeo rehab. It's harder than GP but it doesn't last as long

That's always an interesting question to pose. Those that really do the ride the UL, 4th an above seldom come right out and say so. While those who barely manage to ride a competent 20m circle, if they can do a LY, act as though they are at 2nd or 3rd.
    Last edited by merrygoround; Dec. 15, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    That's always an interesting question to pose. Those that really do the ride the UL, 4th an above seldom come right out and say so. While those who barely mange to ride a competent 20m circle, if they can do a LY, act as though they are at 2nd or 3rd.
    isn't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    That's always an interesting question to pose. Those that really do the ride the UL, 4th an above seldom come right out and say so. While those who barely mange to ride a competent 20m circle, if they can do a LY, act as though they are at 2nd or 3rd.
    Some of us who have trained and showed well beyond that might get a little touchy about that statement.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Love this.

Last winter we went from a reasonably competent jumping team to a totally confused and befuddled dressage team. The loss of "I got this" has been rough on both of us.

Schooling all of 1st, with some pieces of 2nd. I REALLY REALLY want to do half-passes. I feel like most of my current motivation comes from working towards that one movement.