The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What Saddles Would Work Best?

I am starting to explore some possible saddle changes. I am currently riding in a Wintec Isabell (one model before the current version) and it is just no longer sitting on my horse as well. Horse is a 16.3h TB but pretty chunky, was pretty overweight when I fitted for the saddle but now would probably fit great in a MW, although still fits pretty well in our wide tree jump saddle. I prefer a closer contact feel for my hot/sensitive horse (I love, love my monoflap jump saddle) with not so much bulk under my leg and really like the look of the Black Country Vinici. Problem is, I can only spend around $1k ish (maybe a little extra). What sort of options would you guys recommend for what I like to ride in vs my horse’s needs. Here is a picture of my horses back for reference on what brands/tree types will potentially work out http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ibg...5#.UtQKc2RDtYU Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you in advance!

Could you possibly post a conformation shot of your horse? Seeing only the back doesn't tell much; getting an idea of the horse's overall build and balance is a much bigger help, as this plays into saddle fit far more than most folks realize.

That said, based on what little bit I can tell from the photo, I don't know if a Vinici would be right for this horse, even if you found one in your price range. They tend to fit a horse with a longer, flatter back and a more prominent wither. Your horse appears to have a little dip to the back, though again, it's tough to tell much from the photo. A conformation shot would make it possible to make much more detailed recommendations.

Thanks for your feedback so far, Kitt. Here is a conformation pic that is 3-4years old (during the overweight days). I don't have any good conformation shots of the current fitness/condition but at least this will hopefully give you an idea of conformation. http://tinypic.com/r/27wrcx0/5

It would be helpful, when you get a chance to post a more recent photo and aso one looking down on the back. What seat size are you looking for?
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

Wow - what a nice looking horse! Love the expression!

Based on the photos, a BC Eloquence w/a K panel (*maybe* and Eden, but I think that tree would be too curved), F. Baines Reflex or maybe the Elegance, Albion SL / SLK (depending on current back profile). In the first photo, he appears to have more upslope to the croup than in the second, so I'm going to say you'll want something with a fairly shallow rear gusset (no big honkin' poofy rear panels). Can't tell about width or tree type w/o seeing a template, but most Tbs are better suited to a standard rather than hoop tree.

Thank you both for your wonderful feedback! I was hoping to get a good conformation shot today but it was not in the cards (only more in the cross tries where I tried to get as much of the body as I could but was still showing the slightly more curvy - which may just be how she actually is now?). I was able to get an above the back shot: http://tinypic.com/r/vrd1qt/5 Yes I know there are white hairs..those are 8 years old from an ill fitting saddle when she was a youngster. I know using the easy change gullet measure, she measures in the MW range but closer to the Wide line (3 fingers back from the scapula) if that helps any? I would probably be looking at a 17.5". Thank you guys again!

I am NOT a saddler, but have a lot of experience with hard to fit horses of my own. Your horse looks like he has an extremely short back / saddle bearing area so I would think you would need something like a Roosli with upswept rear panels to make sure he has no pressure in the lumbar area. Just my opinion but this is based on experience with two very short backed mares. Good luck in your search! I feel your pain.
    Last edited by Maude; Jan. 16, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Again, can't tell for sure w/o seeing a template, but she looks like a standard tree based on the photo. Something with a generous medium-wide or not-so-generous wide would be worth trying.