The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Jo keeps threatening me with having to ride him at dressage shows. I'm still resistant.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    Jo keeps threatening me with having to ride him at dressage shows. I'm still resistant.
    Eventually you will just have to give in! Besides.....my jumping trainer (while loathe to admit it) can't help but admit my hunter's gaits have never looked better and flying changes--voila--appeared not long after my dressage training began.

And I don't want to be the only one out there IN a dressage saddle who absolutely can't get rid of all traces of hunter position. Trust me.....it isn't the rider marks that are making us score well
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Poor Flsh! Don't worry, you're not alone in the "young horse torn between two disciplines" world.

For better or worse when I returned to riding, having grown up riding saddleseat, I started with eventing, so I never learned true hunter position -- getting rid of the saddleseat legs was something else! As SGray knows very well, you can't ride at Tex-Over without doing dressage even if you don't compete in it and do the jumpers. She's just trying to make me have to dress up and ride dressage in competition again.

Which I (gulp) actually may do -- the most telling thing was that I was actually looking at new dressage saddles to replace my 15 year old Passier that doesn't fit Dheacon all that well.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

hey - for next year's Sat. evening entertainment we'll have a pas de deux Prix Caprilli with Flsh and Portia
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Portia we have a lot in common.....I grew up riding saddleseat too!!! See you really can teach an old dog new tricks

Now for teaching the young dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    hey - for next year's Sat. evening entertainment we'll have a pas de deux Prix Caprilli with Flsh and Portia
    I LOFF this idea! I don't know what Dheacon looks like though....not sure he'd complement a leggy bay Oldenburg

Those guys looked like they were having SO much fun on saturday-really made me want to join in!

I grew up riding saddleseat too!

And Portia, you are SOOOOO right about it being hard to get rid of saddleseat legs. The hands are hard, too. If something goes wrong, first thing I do is raise my hands!

Default Well, if they are going for a sea creatures theme,

Then you can add 2 legs (4 horse, 2 you, 2 extra) and be an octupus with Luna's long legs, KB can add the tail and fin and make Mr. M into an orca (Baby-mu), and I can mock up some tusks and ride the brown walrus.

But yes, I wish I'd seen the freestyle - heard the rave reviews. Dang sister getting engaged. Wouldn't you know it, family getting in the way of my personal time. Eesh.

Quote Originally Posted by flshgordon View Post
    I LOFF this idea! I don't know what Dheacon looks like though....not sure he'd complement a leggy bay Oldenburg
    Substitute Hanoverian for Oldenburg and you've described Dheacon too. He's a lean, 17 hand plain bay. Actually, you could pretty much take that photo of Luna, black out the star and the sock, and put Dheacon's name on it.

I don't have any good photos of him online yet, but here's one I took at the HDS summer show.

yaya, too true on the saddleseat hands -- mine just automatically creep up there, especially when I'm sitting in a dressage saddle!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dheacon HDS Summer.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	18996  
    Last edited by Portia; Nov. 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM.

okay - I'm gonna go find an old prix caprilli test and modify it for ya'll pas de deux -- then ya'll can practice on your own for a while and later together

someone else will have to figure out your costumes
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Nothing plain about Dheacon, color or otherwise!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

The only thing "D" about "Dheacon" is his expression. "Duh, de duh - duh de duh". That's in the stable, mind you. Then, when he's under saddle, it changes to, 'Dah-dah-dah-dah! I'm here! The party can start now!".

Jen, can you tell I loff your horse?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Thank you both, Marie and Beth. He's such a sweet boy and is happy so long as someone (human or horse) is paying attention to him.

Continuing his dual career, he went out and did the level 1 jumpers at the Final Chase show last week. Jumped around clear but slow, and happy as a lark. The only problem was the announcer kept pronouncing his name D-Con -- like the mouse traps!

Oh, dear. I knew the spelling would throw some of those guys.